New Dog.. Atka!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love GSD's and she is gorgeous!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
rozied

Getting in late on this.............Elana she is gorgeous. I love the name u picked. I hope & pray u have many wonderful yrs together.
I don't have any pets & I am sad over it. right before I had my Spinal Revision I had to give my beautiful male long haired car " Sun N Moon " to another family. I couldn't take care of him the way he needed to be cared for. I felt so bad for him I had to find him a good home...it broke my heart but I had no choice. Now that I am doing so well I would love to get him bk or to get another pet. We have a quarter of an acre in town & our whole yard is fenced in but so far Mr Rozied doesn't want to get another pet ( unless it is the size of Russian Hampsters !!!) cuz he feels thre is mor than enough to do with the house & property plus helping SS raise the 2 little ones. So for now we r petless.
I really enjoying seing & hearing about everyone lses. Thanx for sharing.
Hop everyone has a good Sunday,
Love,
Diane
Old 05-20-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Well.. it is raining.. I have to take the dog out.. then I have to run thru and clean quick.. throw a wash in.. and get to church.

My Mom and Dad are coming to visit and meet the new dog and Dad is going to fish a little out in the stream out back (trout and fly fishing). I am planning to get a pizza and we will have salad and desert.

I hope the rain quits, but it isn't looking good!

Sunday is going to be a good day.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

She's a beautiful dog and I hope is true to her name. Having a guardian dog around just can't do any of us any harm, yes?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a beautiful and intelligent looking dog!! I know you are so excited!!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

We went out in the pouring rain for her walk. She is of the opnion that we are nutz... walking in the RAIN? she gets to her huse and shows recognition and when we get to where she is off leash, she goes to the door to go into her "drying off crate." she goes right in too.. I am sure she thinks she has moved to a rain forest...

I have had her all of 36 hours and she already knows where not to go in the upstairs. She has learned No dogs on the Furniture in bedrooms, bathrooms or in the kitchen. She knows not to Torment the Cats (tho when they torment her she looks sad.. LOL). She know where I keep the dog biscuits. when she is tired she goes in her crate and sleeps (door is wide open). If she wants to chew her toy she takes it into her crate and works on it.

She is learning to pee on command and she is learning the fenced area is for training etc.

I am hoping to teach her to type and write so I can send her to work for me.....
Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Determined

Thats brilliant, Would she like a friend for a week or two?, my handsome boy, who despite my great efforts think the settee and my bed are also his, he does have a crate which when forced he will use. He thinks its much more fun to make me walk for hours in the rain before going for a pee, even though he understands the word "widdle". He too knows wheer biscuits are kept and realises fenced off area is for training and park/beech/woods are for doing exactly what you like and becoming deaf!!! He is however good on the chewing front and love his toys and leaves furniture shoes etc. If Atka hasn't got one I highly reccomend a kong toy for her.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Oh she has a Kong but doesn't like it as much as the cow hoof she also has.

If your dog is real hard to keep off of furniture you CAN get a "scat Mat." It is electrified and when two feet are placed on it it completes the circuit and delivers a minor shock. I had to use this with regard to Naughty the cat and the counters in the kitchen. He is smart tho.. knows when it is there and on and when it is not. This one is battery operated.

My FIRST scat mat was plug in. Naughty got nailed onetime by it. I left it on the counter and went to work. Came home and he is sitting on the counter in the middle of the Scat Mat.. WTF????

He had chewed the wire thru on the power converter and disabled it. It never worked again.

Scat mat will work for dog as well, but I have never used it on a dog. Never had a need to. Always trained them and that was the end of it.

I had another cat I could tell to "go hurry up" and he would pee in the cat box for me (we went to cat shows so that was GREAT!).

I am sure Atka will learn, "Hurry up and Pee." The Crate is another thing.. I never force her in it.. I throw a biscuit in and shut the door and then open it later. She is not allowed out of the crate until she sits still. It is just repetitive behavior. If she is excited and tried to get out b4 I am ready, I hold my leg against the door and turn my back to her and stand there.. and she sits (pack beahvior) and THEN I let her out.

I think the trick is not to punish for bad behavior but to be sure you only reward for good behavior.

Men, OTOH, are much more difficult to train. I used a shocking collar on them... and even then their training is sketchy... :
Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Your dog is beautiful, I have been waiting on the pictures!!!
It is so fun training a new dog..
I had a shepard that I had to put down a few years ago. She was awsome!!!
I know you have been wanting to get a dog for awhile now, just wanted to say I am happy for ya!!!!

Have a great Sunday!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Peace Hope Love

Elana - Atka is beautiful. I have had 2 long hair black and tan GS's over the years. Glorious animals. One was 90 LB and the other ended up at 105 - and they still thought they were lap dog's. They were so funny. I pray you two have a wonderful life long friendship.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Wink

A friend says, men may come and go but animals are forever! Forever true and loving!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
On a tear

Originally Posted by Elana View Post
We went out in the pouring rain for her walk. She is of the opnion that we are nutz... walking in the RAIN? she gets to her huse and shows recognition and when we get to where she is off leash, she goes to the door to go into her "drying off crate." she goes right in too.. I am sure she thinks she has moved to a rain forest...

I have had her all of 36 hours and she already knows where not to go in the upstairs. She has learned No dogs on the Furniture in bedrooms, bathrooms or in the kitchen. She knows not to Torment the Cats (tho when they torment her she looks sad.. LOL). She know where I keep the dog biscuits. when she is tired she goes in her crate and sleeps (door is wide open). If she wants to chew her toy she takes it into her crate and works on it.

She is learning to pee on command and she is learning the fenced area is for training etc.

I am hoping to teach her to type and write so I can send her to work for me.....

Dang... she sounds smarter than some husbands I've known.

grin.

Excellent dog! And beautiful, to boot! (((Elana))) ((((Atka))))
Old 05-21-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Determined

Originally Posted by Elana View Post
Oh she has a Kong but doesn't like it as much as the cow hoof she also has.

If your dog is real hard to keep off of furniture you CAN get a "scat Mat." It is electrified and when two feet are placed on it it completes the circuit and delivers a minor shock. I had to use this with regard to Naughty the cat and the counters in the kitchen. He is smart tho.. knows when it is there and on and when it is not. This one is battery operated.

My FIRST scat mat was plug in. Naughty got nailed onetime by it. I left it on the counter and went to work. Came home and he is sitting on the counter in the middle of the Scat Mat.. WTF????

He had chewed the wire thru on the power converter and disabled it. It never worked again.

Scat mat will work for dog as well, but I have never used it on a dog. Never had a need to. Always trained them and that was the end of it.

I had another cat I could tell to "go hurry up" and he would pee in the cat box for me (we went to cat shows so that was GREAT!).

I am sure Atka will learn, "Hurry up and Pee." The Crate is another thing.. I never force her in it.. I throw a biscuit in and shut the door and then open it later. She is not allowed out of the crate until she sits still. It is just repetitive behavior. If she is excited and tried to get out b4 I am ready, I hold my leg against the door and turn my back to her and stand there.. and she sits (pack beahvior) and THEN I let her out.

I think the trick is not to punish for bad behavior but to be sure you only reward for good behavior.

Men, OTOH, are much more difficult to train. I used a shocking collar on them... and even then their training is sketchy... :

Smart cat, loved the name!!!. My cat is great she is allowed on furniture but not kitchen units and has always been great. The dog however is a bit rebellious (he is just coming up to 2yrs) He was crated from a pup and he knows its his safe place etc etc have never forced him in it and he takes his toys chews pigs ears etc in there and is quite happy. But he loves to "sneak" up on settee. chair, bed etc with the ears flat against his head eyes wide open and walking towards furniture in almost slow motion (lol it is funny to watch) I think he thinks all this makes him invisible, if he moves slowly enough I will not notice him (like the wolf in the wild hunting!!!lol)

He is happily curled up on rug now with his beloved kong, butthe minute I go to the comfy chair or the loo I will come back and he will be curled on settee with a look that says "what I have been here ALL morniing why are you telling me OFF now!!"

But ya gotta love them

Hope all well with Atka.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

She is absolutely beauitiful!!!

Thanks for sharing

jewel