Intervention?

Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention?

Hey Everyone,

As some of you know I recently got out of a two year relationship because of his alcohol and drug abuse. I know it's the right thing to do.. I love him but I never imagined it would be this hard. I was watching Intervention today and I saw a young man that was a cocaine addict. He reminded me so much of my ex-boyfriend. I felt just like his mother, constantly worrying - staying up all night..etc. I was hoping that maybe some of you have had an real intervention with a significant other. I want to have one for him. He is so young, so smart and has a bright future but.. if he keeps on the path he's on he wont make it through his last year of college. I know his parents will listen to everything I have to say. They know I love him very much and that I wouldn't lie about what he does to himself. He has had a past girlfriend, that told his parents that he was off doing drugs when he really wasnt.. so it's been very hard for me to come to the realization that I HAVE to talk to his parents. Any advice from you guys, is always soo helpful .. all of you put my mind at ease.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no advise here, I'm not sure what you should or could do I just wanted to say stick around others will be by to offer support and advise
Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I'm a mom of an AS and I would think his parents would welcome the communication.
[I] did an unsuccessful intervent. with my son but his live in GF was against him going away because she needs him there for her. She was the only one with influence but she was too selfish to use it. If you love him do what you can to get between him and drugs. If he is ready to hear it he'll listen and the support of his parents would be wonderful.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know the feeling oh too well. I was blessed with a beautiful wife 3 kids and parents
that dearly loved me while I continued to get sucked down the cyclone of addiction drug abuse and alcoholism. Several interventions were planned on me(re-habs).etc..
I ran more than ever from the help I so despratly wanted deep inside. I really believe
when actively using we don't have a choice. Our only choice is to use. If you love someone you have to let them go. Stay strong. Let mere time take it's course.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ashley, you welcomed men to comment so I will. Not knowing that the ex girlfriend lied to his parents, since he is an addict, you have to assume that she probably told what she interprited as the truth. Addicts do not stop using they just keep moving to someone else who will listen. I guess you are taking to him about his ex telling his parents, what if you are his next ex he talks to his next GF. He might tell her that you told his parents he was a addict and you were lying. Most likely your BF ex was in the same place that you are in now. I have known people, women and men and for her to have made up a story that hit right on the money (drug addiction) is uncanny. I dont know your ages but I understand your feelings and emotions, we here at SR have all had them. If you can, have an intervention with yourself, to save the woman that you are now, you will be better off. Breaking up is hard to do, many songs have been sang about it because it is hard. As far as talking to his parents that is up to you. You do not have to talk to them and they can't fix it anyway, it is up to your xabf to change. You sound like a very nice lady and one who cannot fix HIS addiction. It truely is on him to fix. You can help give him a soft place to land but he will not fix himself until he is ready. How bout you, are you ready to fix yourself? To move forward into something better, not the same but better with someone who can love you? Take your time trying to save your xabf, you may become the person between him and his rock bottom. You don't want that. I hope you find peace tonight and realise you did nothing and can do nothing to his addiction, its on him.