off topic

Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

off topic

Hey guys. Guess what. At my house I dont have a good yard for planting things, but I watched how fascinated my three year old was at planting things and watching them grow at his grandmothers house and I wanted to do something like that for him at home, so.... I got an empty egg carton and planted some onions, tomatoes and flowers. I did it like 2 weeks ago and havent seen anything, until this morning. I got up and they had tiny little sprouts coming up. I got so excited I almost peed myself. I know its silly, but I did not think I would be able to make anything grow, but I did. My mil says in about a week I will have to transplant them somewhere bigger. You gus wish me luck. When they get a little bigger I will post some pictures. I am proud of my little babies!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that's sweet - you can stick the tomato in a big pot - the onion and flowers too...

you could probably just fill up a window box or two...

have fun,
s
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Wendy, I really do think you gave me an idea. Did you buy the seeds or did it from the veggies themselves?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too Im going to try growing veggies.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

itiswhatitis, I was thinking the same thing. I saw some pretty big and deep window boxes at wal-mart I think I will get this weekend.

Jewelz, It really was simple. We bought a few packs of seeds and a small bag of organic potting soil and voila. I did not think it would work but it did. I just got one of those styrofoam egg cartons, poked some holes in the bottom for water drainage put a little dirt in, put the seeds in then some more dirt and been watering sparingly and giving sun light and they finally popped up. I know you live in an apartment, so this would be ideal for you. I am glad I could help. Actually thank the worker at walmart. It was her idea. My son just absolutely loved it. I bet your daughter would. Michael is not quiet old enought to enjoy it yet I dont think.

Cinder, I bet yours would grow twice as fast as mine did. You seem to have a nack for stuff like that.

I am just so excited about it. Watching something grow that I planted is so fulfilling. Its almost like when I look at my son and say to myself, "I did that."
Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cinder, I bet yours would grow twice as fast as mine did. You seem to have a nack for stuff like that.
The secret is pouring old aquarium water on them. Nitrates (waste) is the best fertilizer. Ill feed my turts my veggies and use their water to grow them a complete cycle, and the boys will love it, too.

So what will we grow everyone? Im thinking stuff my boys like, squash, lettuce, greenbeans, tomatos, maybe carrots?

New project!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

yoo hoo! garden talk! i'm a big gardener, it's my peaceful place. i planted tomatoes last year from seeds, loved them. this year, i threw some sunflower seeds out by my fence...watching for that!

happy gardening, k
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cinder, I am thinking I am going to tell my husband I want an aquarium for my birthday. I just love turtles. I used to have a razorback. I named him shredder like off of ninja turtles, but he got so big I couldnt keep him after about 2 years so I gave him to a wildlife preserve. I then had another one that laid eggs once, but of course there was no male there to fertilize the eggs, so.... I eventually let that one go cause we were moving and couldnt take it with us. I have heard so many bad things about bacteria from turtles being bad for children. What is that all about?

I think once I transplant these first plants I am going to try some cucumbers and peppers. I could make a mean salad with all those tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers. I think next time I will do two egg cartons.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Parent, my husband wanted to do sunflowers, but I thought they might not work in the egg carton. I hope yours come up. They are so pretty.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i just dug alittle trench along my fence and popped the seeds in

may the best seeds win!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

((((Wendy)))) Isn't it wonderful how what we do "for our kids" is such a thrill for us?

Living life with the joy of a child really is exactly what you described... getting excited about the miracle of life, and the magic around that.

Your joy makes my day.

Thank you! (((Wendy)))
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I couldn't grow a cactus if I lived in the desert but hey if everyone else is doing it I'll chime in sounds like a future post

hmmmm, thinking tomatoes and maybe an herb like dill hehehe road trip to lowes!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

BigSis, I am glad I could brighten your day a little. I know being able to share with you all that I love so much that I was actually able to make something grow has made my day that much brighter. ((((BigSis))))
Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh I love to garden.....hey ya know if you talk to your plants, they grow faster.....ask Loves

I haven't started anything on my patio yet this year cause I've been too busy redoing my bathroom but I think I'll get some tomatoe plants and may some onion.....

I always do a little herb garden in my kitchen window and chives outside.

Yes, yes....just thinking about it relaxes me....I'm ready to do it.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rahsue, I did not think I could do it either, but you should see the little sprouts that were popping out of the dirt this morning. It just tickled me to death. You should try it. If I can do it you can too. I am only 26 years old and have never planted anything in my life, so....
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Laura, I just got so excited about the whole thing and Jareth just loves it. Yeah, I did not think anything was going to grow, so I kinda got angry and cursed at the dirt the other day, so I think my plants like it when I get a little sassy with them. Ha Ha! My SIL says you have to talk to them too, so... Maybe some sweet talk and they will grow really big.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((wendy)))

I talk to mine...I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts but Hey, Who Cares?? Last year we grew sooo many tomatoes and jalepenos and all kinds of veggies....it was great.....we did tomatoes but we did the kind that comes in the peat pot already, all ya have to do is stick the peat pot in your soil and start growing...Its amazing seeing a little tiny plant start growing into a huge tomato plant.

Also.....i figured out year before last that ya can't use cheap potting soil.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Laura, we got this bag of organic stuff. It was like 3.97 for a little bag, so I think we got some pretty good stuff. I hope anyway.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wendy if you do and get a turtle, make sure you have a plan for when it gets bigger, so many are unwanted and let go, and cant survive in the wild cause they are used to being fed.
If you have room for a 55 gallon tank (eventually in a year or two) I recommend a yellow belly slider or a map turtle. They dont get quite as big as a red ear. make sure you get lighting and all that.

have heard so many bad things about bacteria from turtles being bad for children. What is that all about?
Yeah if you allow your son to put the turtle in his mouth? I dont let mine handle them until the turtle is atleast 3 inches and even the two year old knows we wash our hands to our elbows immediately after. So remember No licking the turtle and you'll be fine.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For you Wendy