SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   I saved his life tonight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/123480-i-saved-his-life-tonight.html)

rahsue 05-13-2007 08:37 PM

I saved his life tonight

well just another day at the o k corral
my husband had a motor cycle accident saturday and luckily is just fine. then on mothers day during my survivor reunion my ras decided to relapse. over 100 days clean. my daughter and I were watching the survivor reunion we heard a thump upstairs thought nothing of it for about 5 minutes then I thought I better see what that was. theres my "ras" in the shower well laying in the tub white as a ghost with blue lips, needle and spoon in there with him. I WAS SO CALM I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I yelled for my other son and my poor sore husband to lift him out while my daughter dialed 911. I had to do cpr to get him breathing again. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW CALM I WAS. I owe all of my calmness to this web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I now know that I have learned acceptance of addiction. Maybe tomorrow I'll cry but I doubt it. Relapse is what it is. its up to him to get back on track not up to me. I was actually able to teach some of my family tonight that its his problem and shame not ours. I owe all of these feelings to all of you. I AM BETTER!!!!!!!!!!
I'll deal with whatever tomorrow. not that I have to. but I have to tell you one thing that was somewhat humorus the EMT's wanted to take him to the hospital and I said f--- that he's going to work tomorrow. after all was over I just started laughing that I said that.

well thats my big drama of the day (hopefully the big drama of my life)
I owe all and I mean all of my strength tonight to all of you

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

marteen 05-13-2007 08:55 PM

Wow, you are an inspiration and I am so proud of you for the way you handled that situation!

You are so right; he is the one who has to get back on track. You are quite the woman to be able to realize that it is his problem and shame and be able to deal with that and convey it to your family! Kudos to you!! My hat is off to you for your recovery.

:hug:

tiburon88 05-13-2007 09:02 PM

The young man just overdosed. IMO he should of, at least, been checked out at the hospital. He had over 100 days clean so he seems to be trying. Recovery is not always as black/white as many non-addicts seem to believe.

marteen 05-13-2007 09:11 PM

I think that rahsue would not be so callous as to withhold medical treatment from her ras if he needed it.

Recovery is not always as black/white as many non-addicts seem to believe.
I agree with that and many of us experience that the hard way. But there comes a time, even when the addict is your child, when "enough is enough" and you cannot handle the ups and downs and the roller coaster ride of the addiction and recovery. We, who love our addicts, relapse too when they do. Our emotions can only take so much especially when we have a front-row seat.

I think she did a great job in recognizing that her world did not end; his might have but she has not control over it and she cannot fix it.

rahsue 05-13-2007 09:16 PM

tib... I have been dealing with his addiction and recovery for quite a few years and I know my son probalbly better than he knows himself so I actually knew he didn't need the hospial what he needs is to get back on track and part of that track is work as far as what black and white of recovery is yeah I think it is but that would be IMHO I don't mean to sound cold or harsh but of his so called 9 lives this was number 4 he needs meetings, work and hockey these are his tools that help him and he's been letting the meetings part lapse. all the hospital would have done is watch him while he went through the narcon sickness and let him go they don't give therapy in the er he has a therapist that he usually sees once a week but hes been lacking that so he can get back to that on his own thank you though for your thoughts on it I know some people would just think that just getting him off the heroin high would be enough but I know better he'll be depressed that he let us down but tomorrow the talks will start and the support that his family has for him will resurface strongly so he knows hes not alone in recovery and he will be back at the therapist in a big way

Sunflower 05-13-2007 09:39 PM

he stopped breathing--cpr--yes he needs to get checked at a hospital--the emt is right-they are the pros--no way we can know if they are ok...be safe HUGS!!!!Hope it all works out for you.Take care of you first

marle 05-14-2007 03:29 AM

rahsue, I am sorry that your son relapsed, but thank God that you were strong enough to know what to do. If that had been me and my daughter I know that I would have literally lost it. To remain calm in that situation, all I can say is wow, good job, mom. Hugs, Marle

patchoulli 05-14-2007 04:47 AM

My god. I'm sitting here thinking this is crazy. Why do these kids do this? The answer of course is because they are addicts...Did he go to work????

tropikgal2 05-14-2007 04:53 AM

Wow you must have been somewhat scared at least. I am glad he lived and I hope that he gets back on track with his recovery.

parentrecovers 05-14-2007 05:51 AM

prayers to your family, rashue. k

BigSis 05-14-2007 07:00 AM

I AM BETTER!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, you are. Prayers continue for you and for your family. ((hugs))

rahsue 05-14-2007 02:58 PM

damn skippy he went to work

Wascally Wabbit 05-14-2007 04:47 PM

Its amazing what we can do when we are forced to. You stayed strong, and calm. Thank heaven he is ok.

Elana 05-14-2007 06:16 PM

Offering support. No words. Sounds like recovery to me tho I too would have taken him to the hospital (I think). However, this is not my call, it is yours and it looks like you called it correctly.

marle 05-14-2007 06:33 PM

He went to work. Amazing:) Hugs, Marle

teke 05-14-2007 06:36 PM

i kind of agree with elana, i think i may have let them take him, since he stopped breathing, but like you said, you know your son, and it was your call. besides all that, i think that you did what you felt was best for you to do. i'm glad that he was able to go to work, and its good that you knew what to do. i think that i would have kindly freaked out. i pray that your son find his way back really soon.

hope213 05-14-2007 06:58 PM

now you have given him life twice.i hope this was his wake up call & he gets back on track. you did great.prayers for u both,

bookmiser 05-14-2007 07:42 PM

damn skippy he went to work-Rahsuehttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/thgiggle.gif

I remember when I called 911 for my son. I just knew he had relapsed and was overdosing. He refused to go with them, so they stayed at my house for over an hour with him, checking rates and vitals. By the time they left, with lots of my no bake cookies (christmas), he was doing much better. I was so scared for him.
Thank God he was conscious. I don't know what I would have done if I had to have done cpr. Your very brave. Big hugs and pats on the back for you.
I'm so glad he's fine. Sending prayers up for him and special tender prayers for his mama tonight. That he get back on track and keeps his focus.
I'm in awe and so proud to know ya. Ya did good.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r/thicon58.gif

itiswhatitis... 05-15-2007 07:34 AM

rashue,

i guess mother really does know best - wow - it's amazing the strength we find sometimes isn't it? - things we never knew we were capable of - good for you...

hope today is a little less dramatic?????!!!

love,
s

laketime 05-15-2007 09:05 AM

Thats Awsome, I Couldnt Have Done It.