Realization...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realization...

I'm not sure if anyone saw that Dr. Phil episode where he had the "addict parents".....but I totally came to a realization after watching it. Let me explain further:

When the mother on the show kept swearing to everyone that she was totally sober and didn't do pills anymore and she kept saying she couldn't understand why her kids wouldn't believe her and have faith in her.....and then Dr. Phil brought out her luggage and she confessed that she had pills in there and that she wasn't really clean.

That is my mom EXACTLY!!! She swears to me up and down that she's totally clean and that she doesn't do pills anymore and she says she wishes I would have faith in her but I KNOW she's lying. I started to feel guilty after a while for not believing her and started thinking that maybe I wasn't giving her a chance....but after watching the show and seeing this woman saying EXACTLY the same things my mom says and her children feeling EXACTLY the same way I do and then seeing that the woman was still an addict.....

I came to the realization that my mom is a true 100% addict and that addicts lie. They will say anything they can to get you to think what they want you to think. I no longer feel guilty about not believing my mom.

Just wanted to share.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw the show. I loved the look on her face when she realized that Dr. Phil had caught her in the lie. My daughter did the same to me for seven months. I know what you mean about the guilt. Why do we do this to ourselves when we know with every fiber of our being that they are lying. Because we want to believe the best about the people we love. I no longer feel guilty about not believing my daughter either. But boy did it make me p*ssed when she told me the truth. She could not understand my anger. So I just don't talk to her anymore. I need to work through my issues and talking to her just keeps putting me back to square one. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Deny deny deny....Former president Clinton proved you can deny and spin any situation even if your guilty. BTW Bill watch csi dna is evidence you dope...lol j/k sorry Clinto fans, my point if the most powerful person in the free world lied and spun stories repeatedily over the Monica thing trying to protect himself. Why would we think that a junky in the street or in your bedroom would tell you the truth instead of trying to protect themselves or thier addiction rather. Actions speak louder than words, but for those who can do it, just not worrying about it at all works pretty good too. Don't feel guilty for learning from your mistakes, believing her before, they are her lies so your consience should be clear.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

you are so right, you have nothing to feel guilty about. if it was true then your mom would understand you not believing her, and it won't be such a big deal. when i was getting sober, it took awhile for my family to believe in anything i said, but that was ok, i had something to prove to myself, didn't really matter whether others believed me or not. still praying for you and your family
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

love those moments of clarity - thanks for sharing, kimm992.

blessings, to you. and prayers for your mom. k
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

why should you feel guilty? She has the problem not you--don't even set yourself up by asking anymore--you just keep getting hurt!
So Sorry about your Mother that must be so hard for you....
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Fish Gold Circle.gif (26.5 KB, 19 views)