codie bird

Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cmc

codie bird

Well, what they say about birds pushing their babies out of the nest, with tough love, now has a new meaning to me.
I have been sitting here by my window and watching the funniest thing. I keep a giant clay saucer of water and some birdseed scattered on my patio.
I was surprised to see a mommy and daddy bird with their baby here this morning. The baby was perfectly capable of eating the seeds...yet kept hopping up to mom-squawking, beak open. She fed him!!! Of course, I know that sooner or later she will get tired of this and baby will actually want to eat more food than momma can pop in his mouth.
It is somehow a relief to know that we moms are not alone and that any mom who loves her baby...can experience difficulty with saying "no you can do it yourself." For every one seed baby ate, momma fed him three! Dad just splashed in the water the whole time.
It just reminded me of how our grown kids, who can get their own food and 'fly' on their own, can pull at our heartstrings by acting helpless and needy.
Somehow seeing this makes me not feel so badly about all the times I 'helped' my son to do what he could do for himself. Seeing this poor codie momma bird really made my day! I really wished that I could go outside and tell that momma to let her baby get his own seeds!!!
Everywhere I go, I seem to 'see' the principles of recovery all around me!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Dad just splashed in the water the whole time.
!

that sums up life here...

love,
s
Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Itiswhatitis, your comment is hilarious! Dad just splashed in the water--ain't that the truth! My mom always told me that no matter how wonderful a husband is, how helpful or loving, a woman always gets a lion's share of parenting responsibilities--if not all of it. I thought she was full of it until I ended up with an alcoholic husband and a baby. I am the parent and the only stable force in my girl's life. Her dad "just splashes in the water" . How can men do that, just let us women handle everything ourselves. It's like he knows I'll always be there, so he comes and goes.....
Old 05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

We get what we allow.... man, I have to keep learning that one over and over and...

I've often thought of the mama bird analogy... thinking of pushing those little guys out and its sink or swim! (or fly). They have it tougher than we do... I can still feed my kid occassionally, if he falters. Those mama birds can't take 'em back in if they "aren't ready".

I admire them much more than I used to...

Thanks for the reminder, CMC.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Well, go figure.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes and those poor parent birds have already been run ragged by the constant feeding when the babies were still in the nest. I am sure that they are ready for some peace, quiet and serenity Marle
Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nice conception...thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

On behalf of all the dad birds, I would like to make a comment.

To the untrained eye, it would seem that the dad bird isn't doing a thing and the mom is doing it all.

Well... The dad bird is busy taking care of things that need be taken care of such as...
Taking a shower so he will smell nice for the mommy bird.
Faking that he isn't paying any attention to what is going on but he is really just putting on a false front to fake out any would be intruders...he is standing gaurd over the family.
The dad bird was at work all day long and it is now dinner time and he is just enjoying a moment with his family.

and

If you believe any of what I posted... You better work a little more on your recovery *LOL*

Oh and I have some land in Florida you may like to buy as well.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cmc

Best,
LOL!
On behalf of all the dad birds, I would like to make a comment.
I'm sure all the dad birds in the world appreciate you setting us straight!!