To Moose and Mr. Moose

Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To Moose and Mr. Moose

hi -

I am glad that Mr. Moose is going to have some pain free days ahead. I am responding to your questions about his situation and the pain. I have experience in this kind of situation and this is what I would suggest.

I would connect with a pain clinic ASAP. This kind of pain needs to be managed by someone that really knows what they are doing. I am definitely not worried about his being an addict - even with the family history. What he has endured would have thrown him into a problem awhile ago. Pain clinics are not created equally so investigate prior to going as best as you can. Ask the ortho surgeon what she/he suggests in terms of a referral. Find out the training of anyone that you go to - are they board certified. Is this a sideline or their main focus. I see excellent results all the time in this area.

Moose - I am so sorry that you both are having to go through all of this. I wish that Scotty could "beam me up" and put me right where you are. I'd love to do a thorough assessment of poor ole Mr. Moose. I am a physical therapist and my specialty is ortho/trauma. I have done this for 17 years.....I work in a level one trauma center and am also on the Pain Committee for our system. I know that good help is out there but I also know what a maze it can be to find it. Let me know if and how I can ever help you. One of the main things that I know is that a major trauma follows you for the rest of your life - even after you have healed. As PT I see everyday how what is done to "fix you" can also lead to future disabilities. Hopefully, we are learning more about the compensentory aspects of the body and to be respectful of the future wear and tear that those aspects create.

I know that there is help for all of this because I work with it everyday......I'm thinking about you both and sending prayers.

Donna
Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks light for the info, i'm one of those who suffer with neck and back injury. i think i'll contact my doctor really soon, its been a long time.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Thanks Donna,
There is a pain Clinic here, and since I'm an R.N. I know the Dr. personally...
I'm going to wait until his total knee is done, if he has the same amount of pain, we're going to get a referral, come He!! or high water.
What's with these Drs. who say "Take ibuprofen" that does touch it.

Grrr.....

Sometimes we think Drs. know best, but then again, we have to think they're only "Practicing" Drs. LOL

Thanks again...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Diane -

so glad that you are a nurse and know the drill. It's all just a practice - isn't it? I'll be thinking about both of you!

Love, Donna