SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   my family does not like me changing (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/122683-my-family-does-not-like-me-changing.html)

rahsue 05-04-2007 05:36 PM

my family does not like me changing

Hi all,

well I've really taken some big steps as far as I'm concerned, of course I have a long way to go but damn, my family sure hates the idea that I'm not the go to girl anymore.
Why is it that someone can stand at the refrigerator looking in and holler to me who is in the other room, "where's the ketsup"? Not too long ago I would actually answer that stupid question.

Not anymore

mr. rahsue is just now starting to get it, he's catching himself and smiles and says never mind.

it feels good most of the time but I still **** my head to one side and say "wtf"

well just thought I'd share my new outlook on life.

thanks to everyone here and the encouragement I'm feeling much better about me oh and by the way I'm on day 46 of not smoking.

rahsue 05-04-2007 05:39 PM

hahaha the **** isn't a curse it means I tilt my head but good going on the censorship

best 05-04-2007 05:45 PM

As my wife was making the coffee the other day and I stepped over to help...
She says.... Oh please, let me do it. But she said it so nice I had no idea she was being sarcastic (she had asked me to make it 20 minutes before).
Lesson learned. Next time I say yes I will make the coffee it will get done. Nice works better then yelling.
I like change.

So where was the ketsup anyways? *LOL*

teke 05-04-2007 05:46 PM

good for you on the not smoking, i pray that i can find the strength to quit soon. if it makes you feel better, my ah didn't exactly like the change either. he thought that i needed to find some new friends, those people that i'm talking to on sr, are messing up my head, let him tell it. LOL. i'll just let him know that i do respect his right to have his own opinion and then carry right on with my typing.

best 05-04-2007 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rahsue (Post 1318750)
hahaha the **** isn't a curse it means I tilt my head but good going on the censorship

auto censor.

historyteach 05-04-2007 06:16 PM

LOL, rahsue!
I caught the auto censor on that word too! :lmao

But, what a wonderful change you're making.
They don't like it too much in the beginning, for sure. And they will try to get us to return to the catering non-entity we were before, until they learn that there's just no going back. We can never *unlearn* how to respect ourself. :e058:
At least that's how it worked for me.

Kudos on the no smoking! Hope you're posting on the daily check in thread on the nicotine forum!

Keep up the good work on both ends! :yup:
And keep the quit; post before you puff!

Shalom!

cmc 05-04-2007 06:55 PM

Congrats on the great recovery and for 46 days without smoking too! Your family will adjust in time and they might just end up liking the feeling of being able to find the ketchup all by themselves!!!

Brownie 05-04-2007 07:38 PM

Rahsue - 46 days! Wow you are doing great - I've never smoked - too many brands to choose from - funny I never have that problem with chocolate just has to be real chocolate not a candy bar. The ketchup thing is funny I always answer "where all have you looked?" Congrats on changing - it isn't easy.

Mavis 05-05-2007 07:18 AM

Good for you Rahsue.. sounds like your growing in all the right places. You teach people how to treat you, and your doing exactly that.
AND high five on not smoking!!!

Ann 05-05-2007 07:35 AM

Changing made me feel better and confused the heck out of everyone who knew me. When they realized this was true "change' and not just a mood swing, they sat up and noticed.

The funny thing was...all those things that I had been doing for everyone most of my life...they knew how to do it themselves all along. Who knew? :lmao

My life just became easier when I stopped being Queen of the Universe.

Hugs

GiveLove 05-05-2007 12:19 PM

A friend of ours died last year, and at his eulogy his son said that the best thing dad ever taught him (though he hated hearing it at first) was "Look with your eyes, not with your mouth".....meaning, try finding it/figuring it out for yourself before you whine for help. Like with your ketchup :)

They hate it at first, sure, but it contributes to the dream of having a planetful of people who know how to take care of themselves, and do.

Congrats on the 46 days!
GL