Anxiety Meds

Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Meds

If this is too personal please feel free not to answer but I wondered if anyone or are any of your addicts are on anxiety meds?

My AH is on a non-addictive anxiety med called "Buspar" and he seems to be doing ok... but he went to the doctor the other day and they said his blood pressure was really high. They wanted to put him on Xanax or on a higher dose of Buspar- well of course he CAN NOT be on xanax so as far as I know he told them "no" to xanex (we will see in a few days if he acts like a walking zombie). I must go on a tangent though---what is up with all of the xanex pushers???!!! You can get it anywhere I swear! no wonder why so many people have addiction problems! It just makes me so angry! They perscribe that stuff like it is candy! anyway... moving on...

I guess I was just curious what eveyone else thinks. I personally do not like him taking any kind of drugs but all of the doctors seem to agree that he needs it.. I just think he needs to be clean and free from ANY substance...

what are your thoughts?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i think that its his decision to make, i know how it feels and the anger that comes with the precription meds, when i was diagnosed, i chose to not take those meds, out of fear of going back to my doc. i think drug swapping don't work but i do believe that some meds are nessessary but it depends on whether or not they will be taken as prescribed. i keep hearing and believe in, hands off the addict, focus more on you and what you will do for you and your life. jmho
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take a non addictive anxiety med and am truly a better person without it. Ive wished my AH would get on it, but I know since he wouldnt feel anything for a while he'd enver be consistent.
I too can not take Xanax, but they fluctuated my non addictive SSRI so that I dont need it
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

dasiy, just courios, is he going to meetings? as far as the meds.if they r not addictive & taken as directed i think it will be ok. still praying for u two.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was first diagnosed with anxiety disorder, my doctor gave me a xanax script, but I could only take three pills in one week. He said it was highly addictive and didn't want me to get hooked on it.
Many years later, a doc gave me Klonopin and told me that it was non-addictive, though I've since found out otherwise. It was originally made for seizures and accidently found to stop panic attacks. So the doc said.
Now I only take them "as needed". not on a regular basis and they still work that way....no need to take it every day if you don't need it!
Hope this has helped...
Love, B
Old 05-04-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes he is going to meetings but hasn't found sponsor yet. He has been feeling out the meetings here in our home town to see which group he wants to make his "home group." Before he was attending meetings in the city where he stayed for rehab and we are about 1 hour and 1/2 away from there.

I know his recovery is HIS recovery. I just have a need and want to control everything it as codies do.... so thank you for reminding me that I need to get back in touch. I just hate the thought of a relapse... but we all know that it could happen and we need to be prepared for that... but pray it doens't happen!

Anyway, thank you for getting me back in touch. I will try to relax and focus on ME. Sometimes, i need to be reminded of that.

Thank you all!
Daisy
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My H started xanax for anxiety and panic disorder. He got addicted real quick like. He's tried numerous other anti anxiety meds but hasn't like the way they make him feel (huh....that's funny coming from an addict).

He's found a combination of herbal meds to quell the panic and anxiety and learned some techniques to use when the panic hits, to stop them. therapy helped too.

I don't pretend to know what it feels like to have an anxiety or panic attack but I've seen what it does to him. Its serious and its scary.

Prayers to you ((((Daisy))))
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dreamer

I agree that it's definitely a problem that so many doc's prescribe Xanex. I have friends who say they have trouble sleeping and doctors give it to them, so it's very easy to get. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned exercise??? A lot of people these days don't get enough exercise and wonder why they can't sleep at night. Also, being overstimulated by television before bedtime can make it hard to sleep too.

My AExBF was given Xanex too when he was in rehab last month (he's addicted to crack, vicodin, coke, etc...). I guess the Xanex was supposed to help him sleep since he was also recently put on Wellbutrin for depression, which I read produces a stimulant effect. I get confused about how all of these ailments are treated but I'm not a doctor, it just seems like they trade one addiction for another. I also get scared that since my ex is now taking Wellbutrin after he's back on crack that it will take longer for him to realize how bad off he is and will seek treatment even later, maybe the Wellbutrin will temporarily counteract the bad effects of the crack.