New here! Glad to join you!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here! Glad to join you!

Hi Im new here . . this looks like a great place glad I found it!

My family member is an addict and we have gone though all the hurt and pain and lying Im sure you all have. However... He (the addict) is currently in 30 day treatment and we are looking for infor on sober housing in California. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with sending a loved one to sober living? Has it been positive? I've heard some bad things . . . that they can turn into drug houses. Does anyone have any insight as to how to find a good one? Thanks Im new to recovery . . . not dealing with an addict though.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome, pull up a chair, lots of wonderful caring people here.

I know nothing about sober housing, I'll bow to others.

Keep posting, it will help.

Dolly
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi hope welcome to SR Gald you have joined us.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome welcome. The stickies at the top will help, please take time to read them. I am sure that others will be along to say hi, and maybe someone can share a sober living house experience.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope08- Our son is in a halfway,mission homeless place about 60 miles from us. It was his last chance, couldnt live with us, and girlfriend kicked him out when she caught him useing. She has 2 young daughters and wouldnt put up with that. He has spent 15 months in jail for stealing for his habit and done 3 detoxs. So we finally decided that we had had it. When he did stay with us, we couldnt leave him there by himself, afraid he would steal more money or credit cards or stuff. Couldnt trust him. So far -3 weeks he has a job in the town, and has moved from the 1st house to another that has fewer people. The mission has 8 different houses. They have strict rules and have to do minimun 5 meets a week or more. He is finally doing a meeting a day. From the talks we have with him he has accepted it there and told us that he now thinks that he will have to do at least 9 months there. The whole setup is great and they are there for support and backup. Will let you know after a 6 week period, but so far so good.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hope - Welcome to SR - I have an AD and I struggle with my codependency - I'm glad you found SR.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, this is a wonderful place for information, expereince strength, hope and lots of caring!

I found the best information on halfway houses by speaking with others in similar situations and geographic locations. Is the counselor at his rehab up on ones that could be recommended? I found the counselors tended to know the ones that were well run and whose rules, structure or lack thereof seemed to match the individual personality.

I also have heard many great things about Oxford Houses. (oxfordhouse.org) They are independently and democratically run by the residents of each house and self supporting. Many require a job within a certain period of time and attendance at meetings. The costs are such that the recovering person can work even an entry level job and be able to support his or herself. In my opinion, becoming self sufficient is an important part of recovery, so I think that is a positive.

Wishing you and your loved one all the best. I hope this time he chooses recovery. Hugs