420... gah

Old 04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a tear

420... gah

I didn't even know what it was until a couple years ago. Learned the term while at one of my kids' rehabs.

Four Twenty -

Supposedly the time of day when most kids can smoke out without getting caught...most parents are still at work.

Supposedly the annual "Great Smoke Out" date nationwide.

Supposedly the police code for drug busts.

Supposedly the number of active ingrediants in marijuana.

...... grrr.

So yesterday, I called my AS to see what was up - I usually try to touch base a couple times a week. He works Tuesday - Saturday, so Friday night is not usually a big night for him.

I could tell he was driving, he said coming down to our county... his using grounds.

I mentioned that the cops know it is 4/20 today as well... please be careful. Quack....quack,quack,quack,... quack!

What did I expect? I brought it up.

I just wish we could take 4/20 off the calendars, or that I had never heard the expression. But we can't and I can't unhear it. So it is what it is.

The good thing is this.... a couple years ago, I would have been all twingled up with trying to PREVENT a 420 party. Today, I just pray he stays in the will of his Higher Power... and accept that might mean consequences for his use.

Sigh.

Ok.... back to your regular Saturday....
Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh, I am having a big sigh with you. I hate those nagging thoughts invading my serenity. Sometimes I feel like putting the blinders back on. I can't, but I can turn my head in another direction. This week, it is gardening, spring cleaning, enjoying an open window. (((bigsis)))
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I learned about 420 while working in the rooms of higher education. Not much I don't hear. Sometimes I think the kids think I am hearing impaired too because I work with deaf students. Anyway, your son knows the consequences and, of course, you know the drill. So keeping him in my prayers today and you too, BigSis. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi bigsis, I used to be a pothead and 420 mean't nothing to me it seems to be a USA thing but it has caught on over here a little. Basically yes it is a pothead thing, all the reasons why are not really believable but it is a 'thing' now and that's that.
You didn't know. It is like a 'big' day now but that is just hype, pot heads might smoke a joint and think 'ohyea' but that is all. 420 is just a code for people now but I doubt it was ever used.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I heard that expression for the first time a few hours ago..I was in a situation where I could not question it at the time and forgot to ask someone later re: the meaning

your post answered it for me

apparently a big "trigger" for addicts and those in recovery...

last night my son called and was talking about how it had been a hard afternoon...lots of memories etc....

I had no idea why he struggled yesterday until just now...

I learn something new each day
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

420.. hmmm I never heard the expression before you posted about a couple of years ago I believe.

But I do know of pot day. I'm 30 years old now but back when I was a teenager we would go to a certain park in manhattan you could literally smoke right outside in front of the police and all. Nothing would happen it was like a free for all. Now though its not like that the mayor we have no put an end to all that.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Never heard that expression before as far as drugs go. Very interesting.

But then, you are always full of such interesting information. BTW, I printed your "story" and read it last night, word for word. You really should write a book. I think it would do well. You write well. I really enjoyed reading it but wish it wasn't all true (the bad parts) but it is what makes you, you! Love ya!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The original 4/20 has nothing to do with April 20. I did a little research. I forget the city, in the U.S. but it goes like this....
About 1971, kids at a university went to their classes and at 4:20 p.m. they would meet at a statue on campus to get high. That's all it is. So actually 4:20 can mean EVERY day of every week!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BigSis! I missed you!

I've never heard this term before, but heck...I don't hang out on the streets or at the high schools a whole lot! LOL

This brings the phrase, "Where there's a will, there's a way," to mind.

Does "4:20" also change with daylight savings time?

Now I'm even wondering why they call it "high" school.

I think that as fast as we can crack the codes, someone is thinking up new ones.

The good thing is this.... a couple years ago, I would have been all twingled up with trying to PREVENT a 420 party. Today, I just pray he stays in the will of his Higher Power... and accept that might mean consequences for his use.
Amen.

Biggest hugs to you, BigSis.

Marjatta
Old 04-21-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to smoke pot, too, and it was a funny day we all looked forward to. Part of me wishes I could still enjoy a little pot or alcohol now and then. I have totally given up drinking or smoking pot...Even though I can use these things in moderation, I feel like I should abstain because I've seen too many people mess up too many lives with substances. It's sad...smoking pot was this fun part of my youth, and a beer with friends now and then is fun sometimes...it just feels like it's been made dirty by all these experiences with drugs and alcohol abuse.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thejunkyswife View Post
I used to smoke pot, too, and it was a funny day we all looked forward to. Part of me wishes I could still enjoy a little pot or alcohol now and then. I have totally given up drinking or smoking pot...Even though I can use these things in moderation, I feel like I should abstain because I've seen too many people mess up too many lives with substances. It's sad...smoking pot was this fun part of my youth, and a beer with friends now and then is fun sometimes...it just feels like it's been made dirty by all these experiences with drugs and alcohol abuse.
Once you decide you wanna stop it just stops being 'fun'. I am struggling atm but I can say this, it just isn't fun when I drink anymore. Pot isn't a big deal anymore to me. I smoke it sometimes but not usually. It isn't a 'gateway' drug but if you like getting high you might like something esle too. All drugs are just boring. I sat next to a trainspotter the other day, he was writing the numbers of the trains down! I am just as boring as him. Nothing glamorous about drugs. At least he wasn't killing himself slowly.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Gosh I learn something new every day.

BS (ha, on second thought I'll still call you BigSis),
Your recovery is shining, as usual. Our kids have some important life lessons to learn, and they aren't all from us.

HUGS

Cat
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

never heard of that. i learn something new everyday. your recovery shines. i do hope your son is ok,good & clean. prayers, hope
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Velvet, That sounds just like the University where i grew up. THere was a big staute on the campus green where everyone always went to smoke weed. (back in the 70's). Last time I was home to visit the folks, I was on campus (it coincides with the downtown area) and noticed no stusdents hanging around the statue. I guess that was a thing from "back in the day"!!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Jeez, I thought you were posting about my weight!