SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Calling all problem solvers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/121530-calling-all-problem-solvers.html)

CatsPajamas 04-21-2007 07:49 AM

Calling all problem solvers

We codies are some of the most resourceful and creative problem solvers I know. SO - I need your help.

On Tues April 24 I am having a bad arthritic bone removed from the base of my left thumb. That means I will be totally without the use of my left hand for at least 3 weeks, and then will move to a smaller cast for 4-6 more weeks... and then I can at least use my finger tips.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do certain things... last time I used my teeth as helpers and ended up with 2 chipped teeth:

Open a jar
Open a can
Get the dog food outside to the dog while keeping the 4 cats INside
Cut my food
zip my purse

and much more. Would you all please put on your codie thinking caps and help me figure some stuff out??

The best way to do this is to put your left hand behind your back... and remember my brain will be muddled with pain pills for the first 3 or 4 days!

I have the personal hygiene stuff mostly figured out - I found a neat contraption that stands on the counter and holds my hair dryer so I can still dry and style with one hand!

Thanks for your help.

Cat

Mavis 04-21-2007 07:58 AM

Hmmmm. Here we go..

If the jar has never been opened before, take a butter knife and smash the sides on the top. Enough to leave a dent in the lid. That will loosen the lid. Then take the jar and put it on the floor. Place your strong foot on the top of the lid and place your good hand around the base of the jar and open.
It may take some flexability, but it works.

Sorry you got me on opening a can. Unless you get an electrical one.

Before you take the Dog food outside, prepare to have the cat's in another room before you open the outside door. Swoop each one with your good arm and put them in a room one by one then shut the door? Then get the dog food ready and take outside.

Cutting your food will be very tricky. I'm thinking you should buy frozen veggies, or pre cut things yourself now and freeze. Or someone could cut for you?

Zipping your purse.. hmmm. How about having your purse inbetween your legs as your sitting down gripping the sides and zip?

LOL!

This made my day Cat's! lol.. Hope I helped.

helpus 04-21-2007 08:03 AM

Could the pool boy do any of this stuff for you?? He would have to take his shirt off for most of those chores I do believe.

CatsPajamas 04-21-2007 08:04 AM

Then take the jar and put it on the floor. Place your strong foot on the top of the lid and place your good hand around the base of the jar and open.
It may take some flexability, but it works.
OH GOOD GAWSH Mavis you made me laugh. I'll try the jar thing just once, long enough for someone to take pictures or perhaps a video, I would definitely win that $10,000 on Americas Funniest Videos... it might work if I was 20 years younger and 50 pounds lighter..... LOL

Zipping the purse ... maybe I'll just get a small piece of leather or fabric so when I put THAT in my teeth they won't chip...

Keep those suggestions coming!

teke 04-21-2007 08:07 AM

hire a cabana boy.LOL

when i think of an alternative, i'll come back

CatsPajamas 04-21-2007 08:07 AM

Could the pool boy do any of this stuff for you?? He would have to take his shirt off for most of those chores I do believe.
Now THIS is what I'm talking about.... I wonder if Pierce Brosnan or George Clooney are available....

Cutting the food in the kitchen won't help... I can't keep it still on the cutting board OR on my plate. I just chase it around with the knife until I get frustrated enough to spear it with the knife and bite off pieces!

parentrecovers 04-21-2007 08:11 AM

open a jar and/or can - solution, eat out
dog food outside - solution, no clue, never had a dog or cats
cut my food - solution, live on soup
zip my purse - solution, VELCRO.

k

marle 04-21-2007 08:23 AM

Would this not qualify for a home health care aid. You know someone to come in twice a day and do all your chores for you. I really don't have any suggestions, but I love reading everyone's ideas. Marle

Lovestoomuch 04-21-2007 08:32 AM

To open a jar that hasn't been opened before, hold with one hand and hit the bottom of the jar with your palm. It breaks the seal on the lid and it should just twist off.

BigSis 04-21-2007 09:00 AM

I put "assistance devices one hand" into a google search engine... here is one you can buy:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5...erknifeze1.jpg

The first place I clicked on was called rehabilitystores dot com - but you can look around - there were LOTS of them!

Good luck!

CatsPajamas 04-21-2007 10:22 AM

ooooh ahhhhh a one handed knife ! And a rather delicious looking strawberry waffle too. I wonder if my cabana boy can cook.....

cmc 04-21-2007 11:15 AM

Buy your food in the deli section ready to eat, then rewrap it at home before your operation. Use that sticky press and seal wrap and/or ziplock bags with the pull-tab to store everything.

You can get a deli meat platter and precut veggies, cheese and fruit.

Sandwiches are easy too as long as the filling will stay put. Make some ahead of time.

Single serve boxed drinks are good.

Buy easy to open items like- cottage cheese, crackers and anything that you can cook in the toaster. A small waffle can be eaten by hand and dipped in syrup. Squeeze bottles with the lids off will be easy to use, look for the type with a flip lid- mustard, ketchup, syrup, jam, mayo all come this way now.

Tiny red potatoes cooked in the microwave can be eaten by hand and frozen fried chicken, meatballs, frozen dinners, meatloaf and stew or soup would be easy to eat.. Freeze whatever you can in single serve portions.

I think once you actually go up and down each aisle at the store you will find lots of stuff that you can manage.

You could also open some of the jars and cans beforehand and put the contents in ziplocks and store them in the frig or freezer.

Good luck Cats. I hope this helps you out and that the surgery goes well.

mooselips 04-21-2007 11:52 AM

So easy a caveman can do it:

Open all cans and jars NOW.
Put them in rubbermaid containers or something you CAN open.

Take the dog out right before surgery, and make him hold it after surgery...:)
(or find someone to care for dog for awhile?)

To cut your food, just go get your teeth sharpened, then...you're good to go!

To zip your purse? Throw it away...go buy a velcro purse, they're all the rage now.

The above was one huge JK, but the one part about opening stuff now from cans and jars, might just work!

Wish I lived closer, sweetie, I'd come help you out.

By the way, you're going to HAVE to start making that Cabana boy do more than just look good...make him WORK just a little....

Hugs,

best 04-21-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas (Post 1299766)
Open a jar cleavage
Open a can cleavage
Get the dog food outside to the dog while keeping the 4 cats INside Throw a treat in one direction as you go the other direction.
Cut my food napkins and chew more.
zip my purse string, leather, beaded key chain with a tag...

I have the personal hygiene stuff mostly figured out - Yes I see by your avatar that everything is under control *LOL*

It has been 25 years since I had such a problem and the only thing I can think of... I did what I could and just had to bite the bullet as I became humbled enough to ask another for assistance.

As I stated above...use what is available ...cleavage if need be to hold a jar or a can *LOL* Ok truthfully... I would place a jar between my knees and attempt to open it with one hand. Till I was use to lifting a full gallon of milk to pour into a glass... place the glass in the sink for those times you may miss the glass. (less mess)

devastated 04-21-2007 11:58 AM

Hi Cats

Hmmmmm? I've been asked to solve a lot of problems in my time, but never problems like this; therefore, I have to go along with Teke. Hire the Cabana Boy! Sounds good to me! LOL

Hugs, Devastated

marle 04-21-2007 01:10 PM

You guys are cracking me up. Now I wish that I had asked for suggestions on how to take a shower with my leg in a brace. Thanks, Marle

devastated 04-21-2007 01:47 PM

Cats

I have a couple of problems with the suggestions made by Best, and they are:

1. Clevage?? What's that?
2. Clevage?? What's that?

The rest of her suggestions I understood, but again, Clevage?? I don't mean to sound vulgar, however, the only clevage I have is on my backside! So, now what?

Hugs, Devastated

CatsPajamas 04-21-2007 02:05 PM

I don't mean to sound vulgar, however, the only clevage I have is on my backside! So, now what?
OH gosh Dev, that was a mental picture I probably could have lived without. I'm waiting for one of the guys to pop in and suggest with cleavage like that I could just sit on the jar and twirl.... eeeeew!

so far I have gone online and bought a knife from the website BigSis found, and I've bought 50 or so of the ziploc bags with the zipper thing. I bought one of those one handed can openers and by golly it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help so far!

marteen 04-21-2007 02:31 PM

OMG! I have tears running down my face - these suggestions are too funny! And the idea of actually doing them is funnier still!

Anything that you can do ahead of time is best. But I do like the idea of hiring a cooking cabana boy who can also massage that other hand and arm that you will be using all the time! With all the wonderful "devices" you have bought, he would be quite an asset!

You knew better than to ask this bunch for advice, didn't you? :lmao

Oh, and be sure to remove the "wedgie" before the surgery! :roflmao

Elana 04-21-2007 02:37 PM

I like the idea of the help.. but lots more fun AFTER you are better!

Help is expensive too unless you can get an aide...

As to the cats and dog thing.. Feed the cats first and while they are busy eating, go feed the dog. Or, train the cats.. mine all go when I point and tell them to "Go! Get outta here" but they also come when called by name and sit when told to "take a load off and have a seat.."

And, of course, everyone knows what the word NO means here!

devastated 04-21-2007 03:20 PM

Hi Cats

Well now problem is solved for opening jars, isn't it? You see that backside cleavage does come in handy, thank the Lord!

Anytime you have any other problems or need GOOD suggestions, you just ask "old mom" here, she knows best!

Hugs & Good Luck,Devastated

22Tango 04-21-2007 04:14 PM

Get in contact with the American Arthritis Foundation. They can probably give you a list of products that you can use while you recover or at least direct you to a local store that may carry them.

HTH.

22Tango

Sunflower 04-21-2007 05:19 PM

when I finally went to occupational therapy for my illness--it was interesting to see how much I had taught myself how to improvise.

they sell those microwave body washers in med supply stores pharmacy--little towels you put in the microwave-and then kind of sponge bathe yourself.

You are not going to be out of it for long so no need to run out and buy contraptions.Once the cast goes on everything will be easier.

Make sure before the surgery you have all your meals ready-stored in microwave plates in the frezzer-so you just pop in the micro for 2 minutes for a nice cooked meal (all precooked and cut)

Make sure you buy some bottled water and have a bowl of fruit nearby

change all your bedding prior to surgery and have your house in order.

make sure you have clothing ready that is easy t get off and on--no buttons

ah the pets--I have 5 cats and a dog--this will most likely be your biggest problem lol gotta love them

open all the cat food and dog food (wet) and put them all in dishes for a weeks supply covered with handi wrap in the frig

how to keep the cats in??that is a hard one for sure--if you find that one let me know lol.Maybe someone else can do it for you?

I have had a few surgeries so I know how worried you are--things may be easier than you think......best of luck to you....remember drink lots of water and move around a lot after....Someone told me once---if you are in bed and can't get up for some reason to keep doing the alphabet with you feet--moving them to spell out the letters hahaha.........please keep us updated

Ann 04-21-2007 08:25 PM

Oh Cats, I am peeing my pants laughing here....whose got the Depends? :lmao

I am so glad you have got most of this figured out, because all I kept thinking as I read this was "next thing you know, we'll have to learn to gum our food"

I really really hope this all goes well for you, but I can't wait for the stories that I just know you will have to tell. :D

Hugs

helpus 04-22-2007 04:34 AM

Cat, Looks like you got some great idaes...High Five...ohhh sorry, High Four!!!

CatsPajamas 04-22-2007 09:23 AM

...High Five...ohhh sorry, High Four!!!
HEE HEE. The running gag around here is "Oh, that must be something you need your THUMBS for!"

"Hey Mom, give me a THUMBS UP yuk yuk yuk"

to which I mutter "I'll give you a thumb up yer..."

My older son will be gone until Saturday, my younger son (my A in training) will be the one to take me to the surgery and home again. It will be fine, I'm sure. (she says over and over again)

Sunflower 04-22-2007 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL not yet!!!