Moose

Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Now, this is getting complex, I need to take notes. Milweed in Florida, sounds like mission impossible to me...ok, I give it a go.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Sorry.. it is milKweed.. if they gave out prizes for the worst typing I would win. I look at my hands.. BAD. I am looking at the screen to do this. GOOD.

So it is MILKWEED for monarchs.. and it is truly a weed.

My Dad taught me this stuff when I was about 5 or 6 years old. He taught me how to fish and camp and paddle a canoe.. all sorts of woodlore and how to read a map.
He wanted a boy.. but got me instead. I was so lucky.... I never had to play with dolls. I had butterflies instead.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Oh no, it was my typing...not yours! Milweed, Milkweed whatever I'll start tromping thru the woods....actually I know what it is, when I was a child living in Illinois, it was everywhere.

And we have something in common, my Dad wanted a boy, he got me, a girl...he still tells me he wished he had a boy instead of a girl...someone to fish with...I said "You don't like to fish" he said "Well. maybe I would have" christ, I fish...what a crock.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
cmc

Dolly,
Milkweed grows in FL. I'm in SE FL. Try pentas, firebush, passion flower, plumbago and porterweed and you will have them feeding and breeding. Pretty much any flower that grows here will attract them but the ones I listed are some of their favorites. Native plants are the best choices.

Do you have a lawn service? If the plants have been sprayed with insecticide...no butterflies My lawn guy uses a very mild treatment and he doesn't spray near my plants.
Most of my backyard is a butterfly garden! I have hummingbirds too. I love sitting outside and watching them
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Yeah.. that PASSION FLOWER is always the BEST... fact is I think the entire garden should be PASSION FLOWER...

Sorry.. it has been a LONG winter...
(PS yes, it works for butterflies too)