Language of Letting Go - April 19

Old 04-19-2007, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 19

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Accepting Change

The winds of change blow through our life, sometimes gently, sometimes like a tropical storm. Yes, we have resting places - time to adjust to another level of living, time to get our balance, time to enjoy the rewards. We have time to catch our breath.

But change is inevitable, and desirable.

Sometimes, when the winds of change begin to rustle, we're not certain the change is for the better. We may call it stress or a temporary condition, certain we'll be restored to normal. Sometimes, we resist. We tuck our head down and buck the wind, hoping that things will quickly calm down, get back to the way things were. Is it possible we're being prepared for a new normal?

Change will sweep through our life, as needed, to take us where we're going. We can trust that our Higher Power has a plan in mind, even when we don't know where the changes are leading.

We can trust that the change-taking place is good. The wind will take us where we need to go.

Today, help me, God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I'll be dropped off will be better than the place where I was picked up. Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Change will sweep through our life, as needed, to take us where we're going. We can trust that our Higher Power has a plan in mind, even when we don't know where the changes are leading.

We can trust that the change-taking place is good. The wind will take us where we need to go.
It seems that whenever I begin to get comfortable with life, whenever I can just put my feet up and relax about how my life is going....something changes. Just when I thought I had all the answers, a new question arises. Just when I think I have a great idea, God has other plans.

Life changes, people change, seasons change, the world changes...it is as it should be, yes?

Learning to trust that God takes me to where I am supposed to go has helped me let go of my resistance and embrace the changes in my life. Trusting that it is all good helps me let go of the anxiety that may come with change.

Just for today I will be grateful for all the changes in my life and if God hands me a detour, I will look forward to the new scenery and anticipate with joy the journey ahead.

Hugs
Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really needed to hear this message today. My life seems to be changing so much & I it is causing me anxiety & stress. I don't like change. With my program, I like peace & serenity. Change for me lately turns me into a person that I really don't like. I am praying every day hoping I can just accept change & know that my HP is looking out of me.
This message was just what I needed to focus on today.
Hugs & prayers
Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks ann, this IS what keeps me going. i don't know the way, but i know that he does, so i let him lead and pray that he gives me the desire and strength to follow.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what a great post...change is definitely happening in my life. I'm living a life as a single woman and although I had a lot of anxiety at first, I'm finding that I like it. I have a falling down hovel of a house on a beautiful piece of property, and for the first time in a year, actually have money to hire someone to work on it...There is hope here, I'm liking it. Give me a month and anyone wanting a little R&R in SW florida, let me know...ps bring tools...love Marian
Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is so true. Life is impermanent. What causes us suffering is to not understand this. We grasp at permanent things we like, and turn away from those to which we have an aversion. If we just watched and waited in equanimity, we would not suffer near as much.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sometimes, when the winds of change begin to rustle, we're not certain the change is for the better. We may call it stress or a temporary condition, certain we'll be restored to normal. Sometimes, we resist. We tuck our head down and buck the wind, hoping that things will quickly calm down, get back to the way things were. Is it possible we're being prepared for a new normal?
In my world, "normal" tends to involve chaos. I am ready for a new normal, one that equates to peace, serenity, balance, harmony, health and all that good stuff.

If that means the winds of change have to blow thru like a hurricane in order to clean out the crud, then so be it. I think my recovery tool box has a rope and harness so I can strap myself down... and a hard hat too!

As always, thanks for posting, Ann. You're one of the lighthouses in the storm~

~Cat
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

It seems that whenever I begin to get comfortable with life, whenever I can just put my feet up and relax about how my life is going....something changes.
Oh Ann...thanks so much for sharing...I'm adding to my list of things I like about you...'mind reader'!!! How did you know this was just perfect for me today?
This is where I'm at and of course so many others here too. Such is life. When I first read your reply to today's reading...I started to sing this song: It's not pure recovery but has some dibs and dabs of good stuff in there...if even just for the chorus, I like it and hope y'all will too. (get out the air guitars!)

David Bowie's Changes

Oh yeah
Mm
Still dont know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild
A million dead-end streets and
Every time I thought Id got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But Ive never caught a glimpse
Of how the others must see the faker
Im much too fast to take that test