ever have conflicting advise from the professionals

Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ever have conflicting advise from the professionals

My Ah has a intensive outpatient program and a one on one therapy with another therapist.
Today one therapist was upset about the type of treatment going on in the IOP he said he did not agree with the treatment......because they have my AH do some role play stuff thats had him very edgy and brought up alot of old and bad memories...........this therapist was working on those same issues but in a more controlled manner........

so now Ah is confused not sure what to do,
today he said well I'll just stop this one.....and my first thought is.........well thats his addiction talking he'll try to quit the one thats getting closest to the problems.........yet he is trying but now with conflicting advise I'm not sure what to think............aqnd Ah discussed it with me asking my opinion............
what who you guys do ? or say ?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh yeah, also the relapse was less than a week after the role play/anger session in the group....not sure its related but therapist does I believe...........
also therapist wants to see me to discuss anything I may notice as far as changes in AH behavior prior to relapse. Seems everyone is confused about my AH because he really does work hard at recovery yet seems to ( for the last year) relapse ever 3 or 4 months
Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes, what a dilemna! I would recommend you put these two docs in touch with each other and let them duke it out. Your AH does not need to be in the middle of this or question the advice they are giving him!

Just my 2 ยข
Old 04-15-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i understand your concern, i also understand that getting those old painful memories out can also take away some of the need to medicate with drugs. they can be very painful, no matter whether its the easier softer way or not. i'm wondering which one is spending more one on one with your ah. i also think that the decision is his to make.

when i first had to deal with alot of old issues, it was one of the most painful excersises that i had to do, but the end results brought more peace, forgiveness and eventually less pain. i think that a lot of us addicts would prefer the easier softer way. me, i was tired of hurting and i wanted it to stop anyway it could and as quick as possible. i agree with caught, put the two doctors in contact with each other, and let them figure it out.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told NOT to be in two different forms of treatment. Does the outpatient know about the one-on-one. When I came out of rehab, they would not let you continue in outpatient if you had another therapist. There are LOTS of treatments out there. And one is no better than the other. By the way, my ex was the "model" patient. Even when he was released from prison (in 2001) he was "most likely to make it". All the therapists & counselors told me he had a great support family & he did hard work in prison & they don't say it often...but they thought he'd make it. Relapsed. Next inpatient treatment...he was the "model" patient. Most likely to make it. In fact, he was approved to facilitate other groups. Relapsed. The next program...a "new" form of treatment. He was the "model" patient. He would have NO problem. And I shouldn't worry cause he worked hard in program. Relapsed. He went back to that program & they were shocked to see him. Later, I was told a "good" addict can b.s. a counselor sometimes for a long time. Take it for what it is worth. Mine did GREAT in treatment...couldn't handle the real world. And as far as the therapist blaming the other treatment?? That's a big "no, no".

Lynne
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what i think is he should go to only one therapist where they can truely get to know each other.each case with an addict is the same but different.he needs one that he can feel comfortable talking to reguardless which one it is.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the imput.....................

He is in two types of treatment because.........initially he was just going to the 1 on 1 then after another relapse he started the intensive outpatient treatment......and as part of his treatment plan there they told him to continue the 1 on 1 appointments...........so he was instructed to do both.

I know it's his decision, and so does he. Yet he asked for my imput...........so My first thought/suggestion was to have the two therapists talk it over and decide.............
but I really am not sure what I think he should do.
So for now we do nothing.....I guess