Is there hope?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Is there hope?

I heard that on the HBO addiction show they had said that opiates are the hardest drug to get off of. My as is now about 5 weeks clean, so he says, (he is living with a friend right now and has no money, so hopefully this is true).

He is not in rehab and did get suboxone before we threw him out of the house and was only on that for about 2-3 weeks. They said on the special that you really should be on suboxone or methadone for 2 years because of the missing dopamine.

Is there any hope that he will recover without the suboxone? He recently told my daughter online that he is depressed because he doesn't know what to do with his life.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I did not see the show so I do not know the answer. I do kknow this:

If you decide to eliminate any behavior, you must replace it with another behavior or you will go back to the one you eliminated.

This goes for anything.. from nail biting to over eating by snacking to addiction.
Depressionoften leads to relapse and relapse is often the result of self medicating depression. The depression can be chemical or behavioral or both... and can be greatly helped thru replacement behavior in my experience.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel for you. But you are at the right place to get a few answers. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

way
Old 04-12-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My daughter is an opiate addict. She went to rehab in the fall of '05. When she came home all she talked about was how depressed she was and she wanted to kill herself. Needless to say she relapsed pretty quickly. She then tried to get clean herself last spring. At first she was doing well and then I saw the beginning of PAWS with her. You know the wanting to sleep a lot, the hopeless feelings, the aches and pains, etc. She again relapsed. At Christmas time she tried suboxone off the street. That became too expensive and she again relapsed. Now I don't know what she is doing. But I do believe that suboxone or methadone combined with a good recovery program could work, but the addict has to want it. My daughter wanted me to pay for the suboxone. I said no because it is too easy to trade it for their DOC. I believe there is hope when the addict is ready. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is always hope. But I agree with Anvil. I think a recovery program greatly increases the odds. And it helps to be somewhere for the 1st few weeks or months learning new ways to live life. Often addiction is seen as a "living" problem. For some, drugs is the only answer to whatever is going on. Booze used to be my answer. So, when I quit drinking. (In rehab & AA) I had to find other things to do when something went wrong. I doubt if I'd have much success if I just quit one day & sat in the house waiting to feel better. On a much lighter side, I have been trying to stop drinking so much Pepsi. I'm great first thing in the morning, but as the day goes on, I have to have it. For one reason or another. Recovery is a long road.

Lynne
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

recovering addict here, and i agree with the others, recovery is possible but the choice is up to the addict alone. keeping you and your son in my prayers
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When he went on the suboxone, he kept it a secret from us, because he didn't want us to know that he was back on drugs again and once again trying to recover. We, meanwhile, had kicked him out so there went the suboxone as he has no money. But as you all said, if he wants to recover bad enough, he will. He currently has a part time job, and it could help him with the cost. But it will be totally up to him. Thanks all.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i can not answer that. sending hugs & prayers for you & him.