SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   "Binge Users" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/120670-binge-users.html)

daisylady 04-10-2007 01:24 PM

"Binge Users"

We may have talked about this already but, are any of your addicts "binge users?" They have classified my AH as that becasue he doesn't use everyday, he just uses from once a week to once every two weeks but A LOT at one time... just wondering what others have experienced....

cinderellawkids 04-10-2007 01:27 PM

My AH and BIl are binge users. They say (other addicts and counselors) that they ahve the hardest time because they truly convince themselves they dont have a problem. Many manage to function, keeping job, bills paid ect for a while until the next binge turns into a 3 or 4 dayer and then theres recoup time.
My AH has gotten clean for almost 6 months and then used almost 6 weeks straight after that

dollydo 04-10-2007 02:54 PM

My ex-abf was a binger. He started out using every 90 days or so, even went 5 months one time. Then every 6 weeks, then every 3 weeks, then every two weeks, then every week...then he got arrested and went to prison...guess he is not using now, but, who knows.

Keep in mind this is a progressive disease, the amount they use and the time frame between usuage will become more often...they will also stay out longer, goes from a night, then two, then three and so on.

kj21 04-10-2007 02:56 PM

my abf was a binge user for quite a while (years). Life wasn't so bad then, he'd go out all night then I knew he would be home for awhile. But it started to get more often. Now it is more often than not. It seems he got worse after his 35 day stint in rehab?? did anyone else notice tht with thier addict?

dollydo 04-10-2007 03:16 PM

Fear of being sober and facing the world without a crutch is very scary for an addict.

My ex-abf did the rehab thing, for others, not him. And yes, he got worse, not better.

teke 04-10-2007 03:28 PM

i think that because addiction is progressive, it gets progressively worse especially with every attempt to stop. just like smoking cigs, seems like whenever i try to stop, i'll start back smoking more.

my rah is a binge user too. he had graduated to evey wk for 3-5 days disappeared. once he was missing for 17 days.

cinderellawkids 04-10-2007 05:22 PM

KJ, my AH binges got worse in a rehab, he thought he could fool them till he missed curfew. Then he just kept right on for a long time

2CAREBEARS 04-11-2007 01:04 PM

Now That I Read About A Binge User, I Suppose Mine Could Beconsidered That. He Is Like A Weekend Binger. Or I Guess You Could Say Payday Binger. He Is Good Up Until Fridays. Frid. Sat. Sun And Ususally Mon. He Is High Adn Doesn't Remember A Thing. Come Tuesday Wed. Thursday He Is Going Through Small Withdrawals. Like Throwing Up, In The Bathroom Alot, And Sleeping Alot Of It Off. Thanks Yall, Never Really Thought Of It Like That. But Let Me Stand And Say "hi, My Husband Is A Weekend Binge User" !!!!!!!!!

daisylady 04-11-2007 01:17 PM

My Ah thought he didn't have a problem for a long time because he "didn't use everyday" But now he is in rehab which makes me almost more nervous after hearing previous posters stories....

Hugs and prayers!
Tiffany

daisylady 04-11-2007 01:17 PM

ps
my Ah ALWAYS uses on payday too- now he has direct deposit....

2CAREBEARS 04-11-2007 01:22 PM

My Ah Has His Own Account And Only Gives Me Money For Daycare And Car Payment. But I Have Been Calling His Bank And Doing The Automated Thing And Finding Out That He Is Going Through About 200-300 In 3-4 Days. I Don't Give Him Any Money, So I Wonder How He Gets Gas And Other Stuff With No Money.

thejunkyswife 04-11-2007 01:38 PM

My exhusband binged on alcohol. As strange as it sounds, dealing with the new husband and his heroin addiction has actually been much easier in a lot of ways, possibly because he didn't binge and really made a mess of his life before trying to get clean. The ex thought he didn't have a problem because he rarely missed work and always had his finances in order--he just would have had a lot more money if he wasn't drinking so much, and our relationship would have been a lot stronger. Bingers are a pain!

It's funny--there are a few moments when I'm glad my husband's addiction took the form it did, even though it was so destructive, it was helpful that it was so bad. It made him see that he had to fix it. No amount of magic addict thinking could get him out of the messes he'd gotten into.