How

Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How

How do people work and raise children?
Seriously. I just gotr a call from the school nurse. 5 year old is sick. 100 degree temp.
Not again. Ive missed 11 days of work since January 1. Thats 115 dollars a day I loose each time. This is just awful.
How do others do it
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

they dont allow telecommuting. Noone will watch kids when sick. My mom has low immune system and is sole provider.
He's trying to tough out the morning and Ill leave early. Gotta get some documents out
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

gosh, i'm sorry cinder, hope she feels better soon. i was blessed with my first mil, who helped me with all of my kids while i worked, and we she got too sick and passed away, i had to quit work and go on public assistance for awhile. sorry i don't have any better advice. i know how hard it is to have to work and be off with the kids, with 7 kids, being a single married parent, it was very hard for me to work, i just kept going and doing for as long as i could and did a lot of praying that my hp would step in when needed.

your boss seems to understand your situation and thats a plus, but i do understand that bills still have to be paid. there were times that i had to rely on different agencies and churches to help me if needed. one day this all shall pass, so try to stay strong. keeping you and yours in my prayers
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am guilty for sending my daughter to school sick sometimes. Give her the Tylenol and hope for the best. If she were throwing up or had the runs I would keep her home. I do get 12 days of sick leave each year and have not had to use them all. I always felt guilty about missing work though because the subs they would get for me did not know sign language so my students missed a day of information when I would miss a day of work. My husband never took a day off. It was always my responsibility. Marle
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you bring him to work and set him up in a conference room or something where he can watch videos, play computer games, or read? Even if it's just for a couple of hours? Obviously not if he's very sick, but if it's an ear infection or something like that that's not contagious, maybe that could work.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

With today's technology, more and more people work from home. Although they don't "allow" it, perhaps today you could work up your action plan as to HOW it would work, HOW much more work you could do and HOW it will benefit your employer.

PM me if you need more info - I am the ONLY outside employee for my company and have been doing it successfully for almost 5 years. The only thing I miss out on is when some nice person brings donuts.

Hugs

Cat
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cats, Ive been trying to figure out how to get a job doing digital dictation at home. I know NY agencies sometimes sub out (Im in Florida) but havent gotten in there yet, any advice would be awesome.
I think my stepdad may go get him, he's disabled and hurting Im supposed to call back.-Ok he just called. They are picking him up in 2 hours. Nurse said he can tough it till then (That way he doesnt have to deal with after school program)
Im gonna meet my dad with liquid tylenol. What a day, week ect
Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I had a secretary who had this problem too. She missed work. Kids were NOT allowed to come to work as, even tho they could be set up in an empty room, it was just too distracting. It was allowed when I first started there, but I have to say that as an employee and, eventualy, a manager, I was glad when the policy changed.

The thing was, this was a government job so she earned sick time, personal time, vacation time etc. When she ran out of time, then she lost pay, but with government jobs the time off is pretty generous. She could also rely on her Mother sometimes, but, as you say, a sick kid is not an easy one to find care for.

Our agency encourages telecommuting but our bureau does not. Most of the single Moms I know who do not have someone who can step up just have to take time off, but sick time is part of their benefit package so they don't lose pay until they max out sick time.

It is a tough thing.
If you do not have sick time where you work, maybe looking for a different job that does is an option? Some jobs offer care as well, but not many.

State and County jobs in FL have a good pension system and good time off benefits. I know someone who works in FL who has reiterated this to me. He found his job by searching on line. Just a thought.. yeah.. it is stressing to change jobs, but worrying about $$ and a sick child is tressing too?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The county jobs where I live are awful for taking time off. And the back stabbing crap in the legal departments is atrosious.

I have 1 week sick and 2 weeks vacation a year. Small amounts of time can be made up, but not large. With 3 boys with allergy, asthma and migraine problems anyway its nuts. I stay here because they are pretty understanding.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Well, I reckon the only answer is to build a back up system (paid or unpaid)! good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

awwe cinder you will make it through my friend. i feel the same way i stay here at my job because they are very understanding as well... my prayers are with you through this tough time