Update

Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update

Hello Friends and Happy Easter

Just want to say I'm so sorry for being away so long.

I think the last time I posted was to tell you all that I had just found out that my brother, 53 years old, had cancer. We had been estranged for years and, since I am 67 years old, I never would have thought I would be attending his funeral.

He died yesterday. He was so brave and tried so hard to keep a sense of humor right up to the very end.

I told you before he had been sober for 22 years and his wife for 11 years. Even though he could hardly keep his eyes open anymore, he was still having meetings with his sponsees! He was still reaching out to help anyone he could. His friends from program continued to bring meetings to him even when he was so sick.

He had made a wonderful life for himself and I was so proud of him because we all know how difficult it is to overcome addiction. He told me his "rock bottom" story and I cried. I told him how proud I was of him and how proud our Mom would be. He thanked me told me he loved me closed his eyes and passed away.

My son is doing well just graduated to fire camp training. He is doing Bible study and is also taking college courses, carrying 12 units. He is very busy and sounds so positive about the future. That's nothing new though!

He told me he had a new penpal and sent me a letter she wrote to him. I laughed so much 'cause she is 83 years old and is the one who corrects his Bible study courses.

The gf is spending 2-1/2 months in jail starting tomorrow for getting caught drunk driving a year ago here. Remember? She wrecked my son's car when he was in jail and she got caught driving drunk and without a license. She is having a terrible time with her drinking and says she just does not want to stop! She is very honest and open about her addiction. She has tried AA but says she doesn't feel ready to give it up. How sad because if she continues this way I have a very bad feeling she is not going to live very long. She is drinking Vodka straight now.

Well, that's it. Aren't you glad you haven't heard from me for a while? You'd spend all day reading!!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Hello Devastated)))

I do not believe we met. I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dev, Sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Isn't it great, though, that through his sobriety, he was able to reach out and help so many people. Glad to hear your son is doing well. As for the girlfriend, maybe the time in jail will give her that moment of clarity that she needs to seek help. Sending prayers to all of you. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((Dev))))
So sorry about the passing of your brother, he sure sounds like a great guy. Glad you made amends with him, even though his time was short, I bet it meant the world to him, and to you.
Sure wish your son could go into working for the Fire Dept. on his release, he's had alot of practice! LOL.

LOVE the story about his penpal, she sounds like a hottie! How wonderful for her to do what she does.

Hopefully your son will pick up more tools and stay on his road to recovery!

Missed you....
don't be a stranger....
hugs,
Old 04-08-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

((( dev )))

Sorry about your brother, but how wonderful that you were able to reconcile before his passing. He sounds like recovery fit him well and he thrived in it... and his wisdom will be passed on by his sponsees.

It's nice your son is doing well and going forward in his life. Hopefully gf will learn her lessons and doesnt have to go out and do more research...

Happy easter, my friend.

Much love
Cats
Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Devasted, good to hear from you. Your story was so sad and so full of love and joy at the same time. I know that sounds impossible, but it reminded me of an email I received this morning. Happy and sad at the same time.

http://www.doyourememberlove.com:80/musiconly.html

It's a beautiful love poem from a dog, def worth a look. Hope you enjoy.
**{hugs}} SM (aka Barb)
Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Oh, Dev, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I am, however, so glad that you were both able to make amends. I know that you were so worried about that. Life leads us in strange ways, doesn't it? It sounds like it was something both you and he needed in the end. He is at peace now and hopefully, other than losing him in life, so are you!

So sorry for the gf. It's such a shame when they are not ready to embrace recovery. But until she is, if ever, you need to just pray that she and her HP can come to some kind of plan. In the meantime, I hope that your AS is getting the help he needs and the tools he can use.

We miss you. I know that I miss your sense of humor and your stories. Come back whenever you can.

Hugs,
marteen
Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi Dev,
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your brother so soon after the two of you reconciled, but I'm so happy for you, that the two of you got back together before he left this earth. It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship at the end. He sounds like the most wonderful and loving guy. This is exactly how I hope that my son will turn out to be when he gets clean & sober. You gave me hope to see that someone else did recover from addiction and used his terrible experiences to help alot of other people struggling with addiction. That is just so so admirable and respectable. Thank you so much for sharing that. You can be so proud of him.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Dev,

So very sorry to hear of your brothers passing. You and yours are in my prayers.

I too, am happy you renewed your life with him.

Hugs,
Dolly
Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Dev))) I am so glad that you and your brother reconciled before he passed away. I know this is a sad time but what a beautiful way to end a life as he passes to his next one.

And your son has his mother's sense of humour, that's for sure. What a nice lady she is, and I don't think we have to worry about "safe sex" when there isn't going to be any...now THAT's safe!!! Ya had me going there and I had the black and white "prison wedding dress" all pressed and ready to go.

Hope you and my favourite Italian cassanova have a wonderful Easter. Send him big hugs from his "foxy" Canadian lady.

I have missed you so much, so don't be a stranger. You still know how to make this codie laugh.

Happy Easter Hugs
Old 04-08-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
cmc

dev,
It's always great to hear from you! Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm so happy you and your brother were reunited and please accept my condolences on his passing. Thanks too for sharing about his wonderful recovery- it helps to learn of another success story. From what you shared, he has touched many lives with grace.

It's great about your son's accomplishments too! I'm so happy for him and you must be so proud.

Take care and drop by again when you can!

hugs,

cmc
Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Dev)))) It is always good to hear from you! I am so sorry about the loss of your brother, but am so filled with joy at how your relationship with him worked out in the long run. And his life does sound like a success story, doesn't it?

Your son is right where he needs to be... (((hugs)))

Don't be a stranger! ((hugs))
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i am so sorry about your brother.i am glad tho that you & he got to know each other again.you were both blessed with that.i am glad your son is doing good.that is a postive thing. i have missed you here & hope you are back.hugs to you,
Old 04-08-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

So Sorry to hear of your Brother's passing. I pray for him and for you all.

Thinking of you always.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((((Dev, my friend)))))))))

I'm so happy that you and your brother were able to share some happy moments and create some special memories for you.
My heart goes out to you, dearheart.
It's nice to hear that your son is doing so well. Hugs to you both.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i'm so sorry for your loss, glad to hear about your son and i pray that your daughter finds her way real soon. keeping you and your family in my prayers, may your brother rest in peace and may god comfort the rest of you and keep you.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you

Dear Friends:

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. It is so very sad to think that we just found each other after all these years, and now he's gone. How very sad for his lovely wife, although I know she is relieved that he is out of pain and in good hands now.

One thing that really bothers me though and that is....now that he is in Heaven with my Mom, do you think he tattled on me and told her about our falling out? Yipes! I'm not looking forward to hearing what she has to say to me about that. After all, he was the baby!!

Ann one thing about you is you're always ready for a party! Shoot, just ask Patty!! Right Moose? I'll tell you the truth though when my son wrote about a pen pal, I went through the roof. After all, I was worried about fitting into my "mother of the groom" dress from a few years ago. Remember that wedding?

Luciano is working on his bocci ball court in our yard now. We'll be taking sign ups any time now. We'll also be serving wine and food at the games, for a slight charge, of course! We have to find someway to supplement our income don't we?

Hugs to you all, Devastated