SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Just for today-naranon style (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/120449-just-today-naranon-style.html)

cinderellawkids 04-07-2007 04:20 PM

Just for today-naranon style

Just for today-I will try to live through this day omly, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for 12 hours that appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for Today-I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that "most folks are as happy as they make their minds to be."

Just for Today-I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for Today-I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. i will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for Today-I will exercise my soul in three ways; I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do-just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for Today-I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for Today-I will have a programme. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for Today-I will have a quite half hourall by myself, and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get better perspective of my life.

Just for Today-I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will cahse them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY I will accept what is. I willf ace reality. I will correct those things I can correct adn accept those things I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

Ann 04-07-2007 04:23 PM

That's a keeper, CWK, thanks for the inspiration.

Hugs

cinderellawkids 04-07-2007 04:27 PM

Your welcome. I stumbled upon some old stuff when I was doing well in recovery a year ago. Figured it was a good time for a refresher-sorta back to basics.

teke 04-07-2007 04:38 PM

thanks cinder, that was an inspiration for me too.

Mavis 04-07-2007 05:03 PM

Caught me on one of those day's too! Something to read everyday.

havehope 04-07-2007 05:17 PM

Thanks Cinder
Feeling a little low this Easter without my daughter. Thanks for the refresher on Just for Today.

Terri

hope213 04-07-2007 05:55 PM

thanks for the posting this.

marteen 04-07-2007 06:19 PM

Amen to that, sister! If we just keep these things in mind...I'm going to print this and keep it handy!

Thanks.

:hug:

sun daisy 04-07-2007 07:40 PM

I have that in my purse. It was a bookmark at one time. I think I got it at a Al-anon meeting about 15 yrs ago. It is so appropriate even today. I take it out about every 3 days and read it. It just makes the day better!

hopalong 04-07-2007 08:18 PM

Thanks! I will try and take care of myself with these steps! And, I won't feel selfish about taking care of me for once!

greeteachday 04-07-2007 08:30 PM

I'm so grateful that our Naranon family always has more than 12 members attending each week. In the beginning of the meeting we introduce ourself, say how we feel and read a step. But when the steps are done, we go to the Just for Today in the Naranon Blue Book...Although I read it several times a week and have for almost a year, I look forward to it every time. The first two are particularly helpful to me in times of stress. What an amazing discovery to finally realize I am responsible for my own happiness and serenity!

Thanks you Cind, for posting this today. Hugs

itiswhatitis... 04-08-2007 12:48 PM

i too have that on a bookmark - and at the beginning of the alanon meeting we take turns reading one step - last meeting we had enough in just the beginners to go through all twelve steps - it does help doesn't it? - i hope things are better for everyone ((((((cinder)))))) et al;

just for today i wish us all peace...

love,
s

tropikgal2 04-08-2007 02:14 PM

That's really great. I needed that "just for today"....and EVERY DAY!!

krhea75 04-09-2007 08:02 AM

Cinder,
Thanks sweetie, i am gong to make a copy and carry it with like the others do. I need to keep my eye on the present.THe line about fear really hit me. I am afraid for my son's recovery...Just for today, I will accept what is.
krhea

thejunkyswife 04-09-2007 11:56 AM

It's incredible how reading and rereading all this simple stuff makes such a big difference. I love the way I feel after a meeting--I've been reminded of the simplest, stupidest things--that it's ok to take care of myself, that it's ok to say "no" to my husband's exotic demands, that it's ok to feel good even when someone I love is hurting--but it's so easy to forget when I don't go to a meeting.

Thanks for the reminder!

laketime 04-09-2007 01:42 PM

just for today i will stick with my boundaries

wayconfused 04-09-2007 02:05 PM

I printed it out as well. Thank you I needed that...
HUGS
way

cinderellawkids 04-14-2007 05:16 AM

Its another day and another week and I thought Id bump this up for any who may have forgotten.

Hugs to you all