Blogs

Notices

the need to hit bottom?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Saw the same show and beat myself up for days for trying to make RAS "hit bottom". It wasn't working, doubt it would have ever worked. The longer he was in hell, the harder it was to pull him out.
He's coming up on 90 days clean, but it only happened because he got deathly ill. And we stepped in, which is supposed to be a no-no.
As soon as I heard that guy say there is no need for them to hit bottom, it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't undo anything, and I'm sure he learned alot living in hell, but we are still finding and trying to fix probs he made during that period.
His first day on his new job a cop pulled up and said he had a warrant and he was going to arrest him the next day. It was a ticket that RAS said he actually pissed on it in his drug haze. He totally forgot about it.
He's trying so hard to get his life back, but that stuff follows you around forever. So the sooner they get out, the better. IMHO
So glad someone else (HBO) said it.
Love, SM
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dreamer

What does IMHO mean?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
soberinnyc

Thumbs up The HBO program was spectacular!

I learned more about alcoholism in 1 l/2 hours than I have in a decade. I think "bottom" is subjective anyway. There are many younger people in AA who didn't have to loose everything to stop drinking!

More welcome news from the medical community: doctors think relapse is part of the disease of addiction. Too many people relapse and don't return because they think they blew it. NOT TRUE! In 15 l/2 years of qualifications I've noticed that most people relapse a time or two.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StarGazer6 View Post
What does IMHO mean?
IMHO=In my humble opinion
In other words, I could be totally wrong, but presenting what I know as best as I can.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

woops, redundent!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by bookmiser View Post
tropik,

it's the brain that makes that choice. The addicted diseased brain. Not the person. The brain thinks all these things through way before the body actually goes into the "gotta get it now" mode.
It's the most powerfully built machine in the world...the human brain.
If you listen to it...it can lead you wrong.

I was watching a show last night night and someone, I think it was Dr. Drew was explaining the effects of different drugs, I just heard the effects of meth and he explained it as when your are coming down your brain "literally" thinks it is dying...

That's what your up against, trying to convince the brain that you won't die if you don't do more.....

I remember that so well....
Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dreamer

I was listening to Love Line last night too, it's great when Dr. Drew is speaking-- I wish I could listen longer but I try to go to sleep by 10:30 at night for work so I miss a lot of it. Also, I wish I had all of his knowledge with sex and drugs!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

lol, i know he's the best isn't he..
Tyra did a make over on those 'famous' meth addicts.. Those 4 or 5 that you see all the time, 4 girls and one guy,the ones w/the bad teeth and skin, the wrap records and bad skin, where they show the before and after pictures..

It was awesome, they fixed their teeth, skin, and hair, it was really cool...

They had their kids and Dr. Drew on there. Most were meth users over 20 years..
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
so, not trying to stump for the addicts here....but imagine, if you will, that physical/mental CRAVING....where your mind is literally screaming at you -MORE, PLEASE MORE...-and it at times is relentless....i had one of those days not too long ago...out of the blue.....i wanted to rip my hair out. i used every dang tool, every counter action, diversion, mantra, deep breathing, find my happy place action i could think of, or remember reading about...........ultimately all i could do was ride it out and not use. cuz there are two things that will make the cravings subside.........using.......or time. i chose time. i went about my normal daily activities and was surpised that no one else could hear the screaming in my head......

the more addicts use, the worse it gets.....and the worse it gets, the more addicts use......in the midst of that vicious cycle it can seem a helpless, hopeless situation. but that's just another one of addiction's lies......the addict brain will do anything it can to feed it's need.....
Meant to hit the quote button, not the thanks button. Are you asking for help? If so, I can try...if not, maybe it will help someone else.
We all have a light inside us, our soul, or the god within...it's NEVER hopeless, just at an impasse in your life. If you turn it over to that light within, the brain will follow.
Once you realize, or our addicts realize, we are all evolving, it will become clear. It's going to happen whether we want it or not. Addicts will eventually become whole. There is NO choice in this...it's a definite predestined thing for all of us. It may take a few lifetimes, but why wait? It's going to happen eventually, the hard way or the easy way.
So glad you made it through...next time, remember you are stronger with that light within than any craving could possibly be.
Hugs, SM
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I've not only watched the show but am buying the dvd and having an "awareness" party. My ras told me long ago he does not have to hit the so called rock bottom, he just has to work at recovery for it to work. so I do believe that rock bottom has a different meaning to people. just means "I'm done" the show addiction is really very good, it touches alittle bit of everything dealing with drugs and alcohol.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

[QUOTE= Also, I would like to have that kind of money where I could continue to drag my addict to rehab after rehab, but in the real world that is not always possible. Marle[/QUOTE]

I have this theory: (I'm gonna sound like an idiot)
the government wants to get rid of illegal guns well, if we allow rehabs to be "alot" less expensive or free would be better as well as these new drugs that some recovering addicts feel have really helped them, then there would be less addicts on the streets hence less drug sales hence less crimes committed with guns.

did I sound like a politician
Old 04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

I didn't take what the "expert" say personally. The reality is that every situation is different and every user is different and every users capacity to recover is different and the time it takes each individual to find recovery within themselves is different. There are too many factors to recovery to take his general statement seriously. Yes...sure...it's best if it is caught early but sometimes even when it is caught early addiction could go on for years before the individual decides it's time. This is a disease of the mind and the mind is so complex it should not be generalized. What they say should be taken with a grain of salt simply because they just spew out knowledge...sure we can all do the same but try spewing out knowledge to an addict and be able to get through to the addict if he/she is not ready. Guaranteed he would get the same result we would.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

These were very interesting posts and enlightening. My as is living with a friend and getting meals and has a roof over his head, and my husband says I don't really think he has hit rock bottom. He says he should be on the street or in shelter, then maybe he'll reach bottom. I keep thinking that maybe his rock bottom will be that he can't borrow money like he did at home, or just get a ride wherever he wants to go. I think it's alot more uncomfortable living with a friend and his dad than living at home. He's already said he's homesick, so maybe in someway, God willing, this would be his bottom. I sure do hope so.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My daughter told me she goes to bed at night and tells herself that tomorrow she won't use. (opiates) She wakes up and is so sick that she has to use to get out of bed. It is a vicious cycle and people telling me that I could intervene and stop the cycle for her don't understand that she has an abf that buys her all the drugs she wants. That is a fight that I am never going to win. Marle