OT Advice on job

Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT Advice on job

I am having alot of problems at one of my jobs. I was hired to take over the persons job who has been running the office. She is supposed to be out marketing the company and getting out name out there. The problem is that she wont let go. I feel like I am just there to do the slack work that she doesnt want to do and she hasnt given up any of the duties that I was hired to do. I go there for 6hrs and have 5min worth of work. I set up spread sheets to that I understand them and can work efficiently then she goes and changes them to the way she wants. I was told a month ago she would be out of the office so I can get some duties and take over running the office.

Well nothing has changed yet. I have asked her not to touch anything discussed with the owner that I didnt want her taking over anything and touching stuff that is supposed to be my job. I told her she starts something doesnt tell me then I go to do it and I look like a fool. Last week I was out for 2 days and she completly took over ALL my work so when I went in yesterday I had NOTHING to do. Then I get a bad attitude and just want to quite. I feel like I'm wasting my time going in there to do nothing cause she said that she feels she can just do it better than anyone else can and doesnt have time to train me. WTF then why did you hire me? I have been an office manager b4 I feel like I have alot to offer this company but after 4mos I am still doing nothing that I was hired for. I literally have nothing to do. How should I handle this? I am really ready to quite and tell them to call me when they ACTUALLY are ready for me and when they have work for me. Advice please.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i think that maybe you can go to your boss or the person who hired you to do the job and explain how you feel before you quit. sorry you are having this trouble, some people just don't get it.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

You can go over her head (which can really make a mess) or you can request a meeting with her and whoever is over her. If you cannot do that I would start the Great Job Search.. see what is out there.

Meanwhile, rather than do nothing, do something.. anything.. even if it means self education in a computer program you are using. Most of these programs we use only a fraction of their potential. Learn about what you don't know?

I had a similar situation once.. and I taught myself engineering (it was part of my job title).
Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that is the problem I have gone to the owner and to her. I am promised things will change but they dont. I guess its time to let it go until they figure out what to do. Do u think thats the right thing to do? Maybe it will open their eyes. I'm to the point now that I feel like I am just whining to them ya know. I dont know still confused.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
Sorry you're going through this!

I was in this spot once... I was the new Dept, manager, and I had NOTHING to do, because, just like you said, the old one could not let go. Management was no help at all, and I got tired of bringing it to their attention.

I quit. I don't recommend it. (I tend to make snap decisions when I'm pissed off! LOL!). The benefit package was a really good one. I wish I had just TAKEN my job, from her, in the same way she was preventing me from doing it!

Anyway, I bet you're great at the job. I hope you hang in there, she has to give up sometime! LOL!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thats the thing is my other job I carry all my benefits retirement life ins everything and its free the company picks up everything. I'm pretty much here for a paycheck (well isnt that why we all work). I think when I go in I am really going to have a serious talk with them AGAIN. Then again I'm not working all my scheduled hrs because I have nothing to do so really not much of a paycheck either. I'm just torn. I am weighing the good with the bad.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

This is your side job then? I am sort of getting that out of this?
Well, either way.. I think especially if it is a side job.. it HAS to be something you want to do and really like and makes you feel good.

IMO the main job is the nuts and bolts (benefits, pension, main income etc.) the side job needs to be the paint job (and in a color and pattern you like!).
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I think when I go in I am really going to have a serious talk with them AGAIN.
Might I suggest that when you have this "serious" talk with them you insist on a written job description. Have them put in writing exactly what your duties are. Then see if they can follow it. If not, and you are miserable,well.....................if it were me I would quit.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well as luck would have it I dont have to worry about this job anymore cause they called and let me go today. Seems the other person the one who cant let go of anything told the owner that I work full-time at my other job and didnt really have the time to put into this job WTF I only work part time at my other job. I told him I had alot of knowledge and ideas and I really could have been an asset to his company but I wasnt allowed to do anything. His loss! Then I informed him that I would have happily taken on more hours and helped get things straightened out since I work PART TIME! He was stunned at that point I hung up on him. F-Them!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh I'm so sorry the way things turned out. Maybe your HP had you dodging a bullet down the road?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am just grateful that I didnt quite at the hospital to work for this co full time and give up all my benefits and such just to be backstabbed. So I am pissed just because of the lies and backstabbing but I'm not mad about loosing the job it that makes sense.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

The bottom line is, she did not want to let go. They could have hired Albert Einstien and it would not have made any difference.

They did you a favor, it wasn't going to work out.

Ok, time to dust yourself off, start looking for a position where they will appreciate all your skills.

Hugs,
Dolly
Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your right Dolly (gosh happening often huh) just kidding. I am just grateful that I still have the "good" job with great benefits.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Come on teke I "see u" lol
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How many hours do you work at the hospital? Are you going to look for another part time job?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just cut my hrs at the hospital cause I was told the other person would be on the road and I would take over all office resp. so I cut back to take this job. Kinda sucks but if she would have done her job then I would have my job. I was supposed to be AR and to show how good I would be at it while she was out yesterday I got over 10000.00 in today and I was let go because she made me look like I couldnt do the job she was irreplaceable. Boy that sucks. I should have let her take 6mos to chase that money that I was able to get. In 2hrs yet the dont know that yet all checks will be in tomorrow. Plus only I am the one who is authorized to do payroll so guess thats something she cant do either. I'm bitter even though I was going to quite I dont like the BS lies thats all. I can apply anywhere in the hosp. so I will get another office manager job for more $ and more everything than what that place would have gave me. I'm pissed about the lie of letting me go.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What do you do at the hospital? Can you ask for more hours there?