SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Exercise from Codep No More- Chapter 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/120039-exercise-codep-no-more-chapter-5-a.html)

HKAngel24 04-03-2007 04:06 AM

Exercise from Codep No More- Chapter 5

I have begun completing the exercises in Codep No More as I am reading through the book. I find myself especially stuck on the Detachment Chapter, as well as the Reactionary one. Because I want to make sure that I am soaking in all the chapters are trying to tell me I've gone back to read them repeatedly.
Thought that others may find it helpful to respond to any/all of the questions on the board. So here goes... Even if one decides not to post any answers here, I think it could also serve as an excellent private journal exercise.

1. Is there a problem or person in your life that you are excessively worried about. Write about that person or problem. Write as much as you need to write to get it out of your system. When you have written all that you need to write about the person or problem, focus on yourself. What are you thinking? What are you feeling?

2. How do you feel about detaching from that perosn or problem? What might happen if you detach? Will that perobably happen anyway? How has staying "attached"- worrying, obsessing, trying to control- helped so far?

3. If you did not have that person or problem in your life, what would you be doing with your life that is different from what you are doing now? How would you be feeling and behaving? Spend a few minutes visualizing yourself living your life, feeling and behaving that way- in spite of your unsolved problem. Visualize your hands placing in God's hands the perso nor problem you are concerned about. Visualize His hands gently and lovingly holding that person or willingly accepting that problem. Now, visualize His hands holding you. All is well for hte moment. All is as it should and as it needs to be. All will be well- better than you think.

~Codependent No More. Melody Beattie, 1992. pg. 66

Ann 04-03-2007 04:18 AM

Codependent No More is one of the best recovery books I have every read, and I have read it many many times because as my recovery progresses, things that are written become more meaningful to me.

Visualize your hands placing in God's hands the person nor problem you are concerned about. Visualize His hands gently and lovingly holding that person or willingly accepting that problem. Now, visualize His hands holding you. All is well for the moment. All is as it should and as it needs to be. All will be well- better than you think.
It was learning to do this that has led me to saying a prayer each morning, asking God to take care of my son, and then living in faith the rest of the day knowing that all is well. It has allowed me to live happily and see the beauty each day because my spirit is no longer clouded by fear or anger or anxiety.

Great post, thank you for bringing it here.

Hugs

teke 04-03-2007 04:22 AM

this visual exercise helps me today, work through not only addiction issues, but everyday life issues, if i can turn any situation over to god, then i no longer on it or have to work on it, i can walk away in peace, knowing that he is all knowing and can handle any problem that i give him, much better that i can. thanks for sharing this.