Half Nelson

Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Half Nelson

Wow, what a movie, and hard to watch!

First off, don't let the addicts watch, lots of scenes of the main character -- a school teacher -- doing coke, both snorting and smoking.

I had wanted to watch it because of my involvement with an addict, but I found it hard since I know so intimately what it is like to watch someone spiral downward into depths of addiction. Even harder was to see how his drug use was effecting the people around him, and screwing up his own life, and how you could just feel his pain and their pain, things we are all so familiar with.

I think what was great about the film was that the addict was such a sympathetic guy, I just felt such compassion for him, he was just a normal guy, a middle school history teacher, just an every-body kind of person, and here he was trapped in addiction and unable to help himself and terribly isolated.

I kept imagining the abf in those situations, the craving, the need, going to get it, not wanting to, screwing things up for himself, etc. and I just felt such compassion for him, and now that he has been clean of drugs for 7 weeks I have realized what a feat that is!

anyway--powerful, worth a watch, but I wouldn't recommend watching it together with an addict, active or recovering.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, I heard about this movie but didn't know the name. Heard it was a very well acted movie. So now I know the name. I will get it and watch it. My daughter does heroin, but her abf is a crack addict. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just worry that someone in recover might be triggered by the drug taking scenes, so I wanted to warn people not to let an addict watch it. but for us on the outside, good film, also, a glimpse into the dealer's side of things and the sick way they get kids to carry the drugs around for them and how sometimes these people just have no other way to make money.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((OneEyeOpen)))

I've seen the movie. I love Ryan Gosling. He's a terrific actor.
It depicted drug addiction really well.
I watched it alone, of course. Hubby hates anything like that.
I did talk to my son about it.
I really didn't understand the ending though.
Did he hit rock bottom? It was hard to tell.
Anyway, thanks for bringing it up.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think they were trying to have an upbeat ending. There was this implication that the girl would stay away from the dealer and he would get clean. I thought "HA, until next week when he is doing crack again."

I thought that was the only problem with the film. It perpetuates that myth that addicts can just get clean when they decide to.

On the other hand it could have just been the first tiny step out of the whole thing for the both of them.

Who know's what anyone's rock bottom is. Mine would have been at the start of the film when she finds him in the bathroom smoking crack. But hey, we all know the addicts have to go really really far down.

for my abf the dead cat would have been it. He is very attached to his cat and despite every crappy thing he has done/been through in his life he has always taken care of it. Man, if he inadvertently killed it, that would probably just about kill him.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i have not seem the movie. most all addict are just normal everyday people.they live in a dark world & it is sad for them & for us that love them. i hate addiction.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too thought this was a powerful movie...
the scenes were hard to watch and the main character certainly evoked compassion...
as is the case with so many of our "addicts" the person behind the drugs is a sensitive caring soul

I also saw Sherrybaby....another film dealing with drug addiction and another powerful performance

both films have major triggers in them....
probably the equivalent of an alcoholic watching an intense bar scene (maybe more powerful...we're used to drinking scenes on tv and movies)
Old 04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

bumping this up after reading about Basketball Diaries in krhea's post...

any other worthwhile movies to watch??
Old 04-01-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Warrior

Permanent Midnight with Ben Stiller was one I remember.

peace-blackbird