Oxford House Experiences

Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxford House Experiences

Just wondering if anyone else had experience with the Oxford House program? Was it good, bad, indifferent?
So far, our experience has been great. They are making RAS president of the house for the next 6 months. That has me a bit worried, since he is quite immature, but it could be exactly what he needs to grow up.
His current job is monitoring chores and he has to fine a member tonight. He doesn't want to, really likes the guy. He told everyone that he's a "lover, not a finer". Yep, tons of laughs. But he HAS to do it.
I swear he has matured more in the last 2 months than the last two years.
Just wondering if anyone else has had the same type experience? I've been recommending it to people online and I really should get a better perspective. One house is not like all the houses.
Thx, SM
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SecretMom...

I have a really good friend who is living in an Oxford House right now. He is such an inspiration today... especially if you were to know him "back then". He was scary.

I think he has lived at Oxford for almost a year now... I know that it is the only way that he could have survived living in a big city and also stay in recovery... and he needed desperately to be away from his old friends and habits, too, and to get to live with some new people who are at least mainly composed of people trying to do the same thing.

He's matured a lot. That's the best way to describe it.

I think it is a very special program and I know my friend and his family are so grateful for it.