SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   My frog is getting fat!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/119008-my-frog-getting-fat.html)

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 06:22 AM

My frog is getting fat!!

DId that get your attention? Seriously, yesteray when I was helping my son feed his fire belly toad tank I noticed the frog is way way to fat. Time to put him on a diet....
...It occurred to me how much I spoil my pets. They sometimes eat better than we do. Even one of my turtles has had a few too many of our leftovers and will be eating veggies for a few days. (No I dont like to control things.-I guess this is a step up from being the anorexic teen that didnt eat just because that was the only thing in her environment she could change.)

As I continued to think, and then obsess over changing some of my pets diets I realized something.
As a child I was negative. When nothing crazy in my dysfunctional family was going on. Id make up a story and run to share it. As an adult I ended up in addict relationships or ran around nutso myself. Early in my marriage when things were calm Id start a fight and create my own drama. My counsel dubbed me a drama addict and suggested I defer that energy for drama towards art or something else creative.

I also realize now I bore of the typical life and routine easily, now every time life seems mundane I get a new pet a new fish ect, I rerouting my energy and something to be excited about. I am a zookeeper and I love it.

Many of us have discussed here the drama addiction and/or withdrawal from chaos and drama and how odd that feeling is.

My desire to share about my son's toad being too fat is just part of that in me I still neeed to work on, but boy have I come a long way.

teke 03-22-2007 06:33 AM

ok, now we have a fat frog to worry about, i guess we're not happy unless we have something to obsess over.LOL

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 06:50 AM

He really is fat. He looks like if he eats one more cricket he'll explode. I cant have that!!!

CatsPajamas 03-22-2007 07:36 AM

oooh exploding frogs. That could be an interesting science fair project, or Stephen King movie....

I used to get a new pet every time I thought I'd like to have another baby. In retrospect, this was a really good plan.

When I was younger, I learned about unconditional love from my pets.... and to this day, I will go into our local rescue league once or twice a month for my "puppy fix". The good news is NOW I can go in and love on those puppies, and smell that precious puppy breath, and get myself covered in puppy kisses... and then I can leave, without a puppy. I am considering volunteering some time at the shelter to meet my needs as well as theirs.

I totally understand the odd feelings from the lack of chaos. It takes time to get used to the new, serene life.

Time takes time. And it's worth the time.

~ Cat

hopeforever 03-22-2007 10:48 AM

lol fat frogyy!!! well atleast hes cute thats all maters!! lol
my kids love frogs and love bringin them home.. with my husband,,

the first time they brougth a frog lol they made me a surprise lol,, iwas sleeping and when i woke up i saw a frog jumping beside me lol.. lolol
but always after gettingthe frogs they will send me back lol to the park toput him to go back to his frog family lol...
one time they filled ,y bath with water letuuce and ead bugs lol....
this frog was s p happy there lol... but in th evevning thefrog started to cry lol,, so we took him back to the park,... i gues hes wild frog so it was hard for him...
=

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 10:53 AM

the crying, they do it when they are happy, its calling others to join them.
(LOL)
Im hoping mine is only fat because he ate 3 large crickets yesterday as opposed to 4 small ones, and he ate some meal worms the day before. Generally he only eats every 2 to 3 days. Hopefully they'll digest and he/she will eb happy again

hopeforever 03-22-2007 11:06 AM

lol lol
maybe your frog is pregnant? lol

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 11:13 AM

See this is the sad part. Frog number 2 is sick and not eating. We only got them 3-4 weeks ago.(so she/he was sick when we got her and now in separate tank)
If fat frog is pregnant without a male to squeeze the eggs out and fertilize them, fat frog will not make it either.
SO this weekend, off to get another frog, or two and hope fat frog just ate too much. I sware it'll eat anything that moves, so Im hoping that is all.

Like I said he ate very big crickets yesterday, definately larger than usual, that is when he/she started looking so fat

Elana 03-22-2007 11:19 AM

I really like your original post CWK. Very insightful and helpful to me.

I like the resulting frog conversation.. and you are right about the forggy sex thing..
You will be over run!!! This could be a Hitchcock movie.

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 11:28 AM

Imagine that Elana, Id end up having to get a 6 foot tank just for the firebelly toads. At least they are pretty creatures.

green and black on top and red and black on bottom
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...elly_3a0c5.jpg

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 11:29 AM

I am not sure how to tell the sex. Its supposed to be obvious but not to me. The males make a barking sound, and mine do not.

Elana 03-22-2007 11:34 AM

I hope they can tell! :)

Pretty things. I always liked the gold ring in a frog or toad's eyes.

cinderellawkids 03-22-2007 11:40 AM

LOL, Elana I though I was the only one who noticed.

I was staring at my turtles basking in their manmade sun this am and noticed how beautiful defined their eyes are too complete with color. Then I was like, I think more people should take the time to notice such things.

Atleast the thread is titled My frog is fat, because I was thinking how many princes Ive had turn to toads, might as well get pretty toads. JK. My man is showing beautiful colors right now, for today.

cinderellawkids 03-23-2007 07:32 AM

Ok I couldnt resist.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...album/toad.jpg

And his house mates the turtles backing in their artificial sun
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/beach006.jpg

cinderellawkids 03-23-2007 07:57 AM

How old are your kids?

Turtles care-well set up is expensive as they require special lighting and good filtration and more water cahnges than a fish tank.

Fire belly toads easier and cheaper. Get a 10 gallon tank. Find a tupper ware bowl or new/clean paint tray, that fits half the tank and fill with water. Other half fill with mulch from petstore and/or moss sold for amphibian cages. Maybe a spider plant or pothos.
Every 2 to 3 days drop in 3 crickets per frog. ( I buy crickets when needed a few at a time and dump whole bag in so I dont have to touch them.)
Change water container weekly and every day or every other day lightly spritz whole cage with a water bottle with distilled water.
Thats it. If its cold where you are you might need a heat lamp, but temps of 65 to 78 is fine for the frogs.(My house temp.)
A little tougher my tank has water in one side with a small filter rocks piled high on other side and covered with moss and mulch.
Once a week we use a cup to empty water and pour more in, once a month we replace the mulch and moss.
To me thats easier than hampsters and the like, because you dont ahve to check their water bottles or feed every day