OT....just finished reading

Old 03-17-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

OT....just finished reading

Jodi Picoults new novel...nineteen minutes. I am a big fan of her books, have found every one to be riveting. I was sobbing at the end of this one. Bought it 2 days ago, and literally couldn't put it down. Even working night shifts, I got up early to finish it. For those of us whose children are "lost", some insightful passages.

Anyone else read this one?? Or have any favorites??
Old 03-17-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I just finished "the Tenth Circle, and "Missing Mom" by Jodi, and I didn't care for either.

I'm going to start "My sisiers keeper" this week, and I'll see how that goes...
Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

The best book I have read in a long time, was last Summer.
The secret life of bees" it was fantastic....
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((NSW)))))

Appreciate your thoughts on the book Ninteen Minutes.
I have most of her books and haven't gotten around to reading that one yet.
Have it, just haven't started it.
Right now I'm reading, "The Secret", and "I'm Not Julia Roberts"

The second one is fiction about stepmothers. Lots of characters, so I'm kinda lost. Will try to finish up this week sometime, and maybe start Ninteen Minutes.
Thanks for sharing and recommending.
Love ya,
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

"The Secret Life Of Bees" Moose?

Are you pulling my leg? I mean if you say it's good, then I believe you. But gee, what could it be about? Are they dragqueen bees or what?

I'm in the process of reading "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado. And I'm loving it. It's the story of David out of the Bible. And I'm telling you, I'm going out and getting me a slingshot and one stone. If David can do it, slay his giants (with the help of God), so can I.

Y'all watch out. I'm not to accurate of a shot yet ...

P.S. I just looked up the Secret Bee book. Sounds like my kind of book seeing as the setting is the American South!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd

From the Publisher
Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her harsh, unyielding father, Lily Owens has shaped her entire life around one devastating, blurred memory - the afternoon her mother was killed, when Lily was four. Since then, her only real companion has been the fierce-hearted, and sometimes just fierce, black woman Rosaleen, who acts as her "stand-in mother."
When Rosaleen insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily knows it's time to spring them both free. They take off in the only direction Lily can think of, toward a town called Tiburon, South Carolina - a name she found on the back of a picture amid the few possessions left by her mother.

There they are taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters named May, June, and August. Lily thinks of them as the calendar sisters and enters their mesmerizing secret world of bees and honey, and of the Black Madonna who presides over this household of strong, wise women. Maternal loss and betrayal, guilt and forgiveness entwine in a story that leads Lily to the single thing her heart longs for most.

There you go...it's a great story....
Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

And...
right now I'm reading "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne

Interesting and uplifting, and hopefully true.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

*Note to self*

"Hangin', go get 'The Secret Life of Bees'"

You convinced me, Moose. I'll add it to the othe books I have in waiting, probably about 12 or so. Just so much I want to read.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My Sister's Keeper is a great book and will break your heart! I do love Jodi Piccoult, but nothing has held a candle to that one, IMO!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

IMHO "the Secret Life of Bees" is EXCELLENT! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read! Carl Haissen is currently my favourite authour. I usually read two books at once: a non-fiction (usually self-help, spiritual, or philosophy) and a fiction book. I also love travel books and just finished "Holy Cow"--about a woman who moved to India due to her husband's job and how she explored the different religious traditions in the India-Pakistan region.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Wow, moose, can't believe you didn't like "the tenth circle". Ahhhh, different strokes...lol. Anyway...the secret life of bee's does sound good...putting it on my list
Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On a tear

I read the secret life of bees and loved it. My gopddaughter is African American (yep, it's relevant), and I gave her a copy.

I just read the Bean Trees by Kingsolver, didn't care for it too much. I am too much a "do it by the book" mom to appreciate the main character' struggles.

I have The Secret coming on CD so I can play it while commuting... I read some in the beauty shop the other day (skimmed like 12 chapters...grin) and got the feeling it is nothing new, but something I can use anyway.

Just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham - nonfiction. It was a tough read, and opened my eyes... a lot.

I am resting my brain with a collection of old SF... Asimov, Heinlien.... Gosh, I miss those guys.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

NOTE to SELF: Get these two books, highly recommended.

Find time to read and bring a box of Kleenex handy for "nineteen minutes"!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've read "The Secret Life of Bees", and agree it is excellent. You all would enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Here's one more that I read a while back, and kind of enjoyed.
It sure held my interest...

"Fall On Your Knees" by Anne Marie McDonald

The sweeping saga of a deeply troubled Nova Scotia family, Fall on Your Knees is an anguished yet wise and darkly humorous tale that weaves deftly back and forth in time to cover five generations of the Piper clan -- from late-19th-century Nova Scotia to the battlefields of World War I to Manhattan's vibrant 1920s music scene, and back to Nova Scotia. MacDonald gracefully tackles tragic events and disturbing secrets -- rape, incest, death, disease, the stigma of out-of-wedlock pregnancy -- that come to light as family members search for truth, understanding, and redemption.