New to this

Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to this

I have a close female friend that just went back in to rehab because she stumbles back into perscription drug. She want to get clean and Im am glad for it. I asured her that she has my love and support through this process and beeing new to all of this I am looking for help on what I need to do to help her get back on track.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

denothedon,
Welcome to sober recovery, it's a great place, good people, great support.

What you can do to help you friend is to be a friend, give encouragement without enabling her.
Her recovery is all up to her, nothing you can do to speed it along. Glad she's seeking help, it's a good thing.
Perhaps maybe you could attend some NarAnon meetings, and see if those help you. Great people gather there too.

Glad you found us.
Hugs,
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome denothedon - Mooselips gave you some good advice. Read all you can - some good support here for both of you. Let us know how your friend is doing. OK? ((((HUGS)))))
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Welcome Denothedon, nice to meet you. Your friend is lucky to have you! I find the best thing I can do for my daughter in recovery is be a caring and non- judging listener. Blessings, K
Old 03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome, good advice above. glad you are here. it may even help you to help your friend by doing what you can to better understand what she is going through and how if anything, that her addiction could have possible affected you. it may put you in a better position to allow her to help herself. alanon and naranon meetings are good for this. there is not much more that you can do for her other than encourage her and pray for her, the rest is up to her.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome home!!
this is like seocond home!! make urself comfy hre!!
a greta place to find advice,, talk,, give advice and find support and recovery!!
glad you found this place!!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Deno! What a loving friend you are! Everyone here has given you some wonderful ideas...support, no judgement and an ear if she needs it. I learned to bite my tongue and not give advice unless i was specifically asked, and even then to say well I guess if it was me I would...
One other thing I thought about. If your friend is in rehab for awhile, I think she would love to get a loving, chatty letter from you. We're an email and phone call society for the most part any more, but I know my daughters lived for letters when they were away. Hugs.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. you are in the right place.read all the stickys at the top of the forum.read all the post.there is alot of education here & alot of support.is your friend going inpatiece care? she can not do it alone.prayers for u both.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talking

thank you all for guiding me I know Im not alone out here. I have not heard from her yet and Im concerned but I know these things take time. I watched a show thai weekend called "Addiction" on HBO and it gave me alittle insite on hold the relapses happen and alot of information on addiction.
I have written her letter to let her know that I am here for her. I need to learn empathy so that I can understand what she goes through when these feeling come about. I have to relize that the road will be difficult and I have to be able to be someone that can go the distance with this disease. I know that she is worth the hard work because I love the person that she truly is. thank you all, I feel among friends.

Deno
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On a tear

I would say to you what someone said to me... just this week.

You don't have to DO anything. Just be there. And let her know you ARE there for her.

We can't make it any easier for them... just love them and pray for them. Which is what I am doing for my friend as well.... right this minute.