SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Slogans (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/118447-slogans.html)

parentrecovers 03-16-2007 07:41 AM

Slogans

at an alanon meeting this week - the topic lead was "easy does it".

this is a meeting that has a lot of folks with many years in alanon. well, as the conversation went around, several people admitted that they didn't like the 12-step slogans. personally, i like the slogans. they help me digest small parts of the steps/practices. they keep me focused. they SIMPLIFY things for me. but i kind of think in simple ways, i like small words and short sentences. ha!

anyone want to pass this around? just thought it was an interesting topic..

blessings, k

teke 03-16-2007 08:03 AM

i know that my personal bout with addiction has caused much pain to my love ones, but i think, that it has been a blessing in some ways for me personally too. i have learned so much and i know that i have a lot to learn. i can be grateful even for my own addiction to a certain extent because i would not be where i am today as a person if i had not been addicted and introduced to the program. just felt moved to let this out.

i needed the slogans, they became like reminders for me in coping with my own addiction and in dealing with everyday life issues. in particular, 'ONE DAY AT A TIME" and 'THIS TOO SHALL PASS".

when i first got clean, i was having such a hard time cause i realized that i was greiving the lost of my doc., looking so far ahead, thinking that i could never enjoy a party, or celebrate any holidays, it felt like my best friend in the world had passed away. my doctor said the magic words to me one day, "just do it "one day at a time" . it was like a light bulb came on in my head in the realest sense, and from that day to this, it keeps me clean.
i couldn't have gotten this far in my recovery without them, for me they are important tools of recovery.

Cynay 03-16-2007 08:26 AM

You know I toss back and forth on them.

What bothers me is when people become programed by them. I know some that throw out slogans for everything and cant seem to have a in depth conversation... or they will not "feel" the emotions and let them out....

If they are angery.... instead of talking about the anger they just say "this too will pass" type of thing.

I think the secret is that life has to have a balance and we all have to learn to live in the world that is not in recovery too... that is my goal, to have loving relationship in all areas of my life. I dont want my whole life to only be the 12 step program.

teke 03-16-2007 08:37 AM

i think i know what you mean cynay, i do find that some of us wear the slogans like a big sign written on their foreheads that say's "i'm an addict or i'm in recovery". i sometimes wonder if earth people recognize the association.

i was getting a follow up eye exam yesterday and i heard the receptionist use a slogan, caught my attention, and it made me wonder, addiction was the first thing i thought about.

Here_I_Am 03-16-2007 12:54 PM

hmmmmmmmm...

I love a good slogan myself...
Naranon slogans, scripture and self help-mantras have helped me refocus and think in the now.

Here_I_Am

jeepgirl 03-16-2007 01:37 PM

The slogans help to pull me quickly out of negative thinking. It is just easier that way, and I don't get stuck in a mental rut. My favorite - hands off the addict.
jeepgirl

mistt 03-16-2007 01:42 PM

I heard the slogan "one is too many and a thousand never enough" about 100 times, but on the 101th time a light bulb went on. I got the don't even bother with the one because if you had a thousand that still wouldn't be enough.

Cynay 03-16-2007 01:49 PM

It is not so much the slogans..... Its almost like they stop thinking and just repeat what the books have to say. Im thinking of a few in my Al-anon meeting.

They dont allow for any range of emotion ... which is normal.... almost like robots.

helpus 03-16-2007 02:10 PM

Let go with love

greeteachday 03-16-2007 04:18 PM

What bothers me is when people become programed by them. I know some that throw out slogans for everything and cant seem to have a in depth conversation... or they will not "feel" the emotions and let them out

Cynay, I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I have embraced many slogans in the program, but as others have said, I use them more for me...to refocus when I start negative thinking. I have seen people just respond with a slogan rather that to share ESH...Your term robotic is a good description. It reminds me of rote prayers that sometimes people say without understanding the words or living the spirituality. (I confess, I thought Mary was full of grapes, not grace as a little kid)

In the beginning I thought slogans were hokey, but some of them became very meaningful and are excellent tools for me. I like how just a few words can speak volumes and get me on track. I likewhen that lightbulb goes off and I really click in with the true meaning of a slogan. I think the ones that help me most when i need to refocus these days are "Expectations are premeditated resentments" and "Time takes time" Early in my recovery, I think I clung to "just breathe"

Good topic, thanks!

BigSis 03-16-2007 04:28 PM

I like 'em. The first time I saw them was when I used to go with Dad to pick up mom from her AA meetings (she tried it for a few months, didn't work for her).

I noticed many of the cars on the street around the meeting sites had this bumper sticker:

Easy Does It

I asked dad what that meant. In HIS still-drinking-and-being-codependent-to-my-mom-and-needing-to-ALWAYS-have-the-right-answers-way, he said:

They put those on the cars of alcoholics so other folks on the road can watch out for them.
Aaaaaaahhhhh. Why that made perfect sense to me.

To this day, I give them an extra car length.

((hugs))

greeteachday 03-16-2007 07:28 PM

They put those on the cars of alcoholics so other folks on the road can watch out for them.

I can't stop giggling...it makes perfect sense to me too. There are precious memories wrapped in some of the strangest paper.

I know I will smile and think of you and your dad whenever I see that bumper sticker again :)