hbo-w is airing addiction right now @12:00a.m. est

Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hbo-w is airing addiction right now @12:00a.m. est

i saw the last 1/2 hour and now am going to watch the first hour or so - i am crying just from the images of those that were lost - oh it's just so sad...

love,
s
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I watched it twice.. I love the last part where they talk about managed care...Great show!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is the show informative? I sometimes have a hard time watching some of the intervention shows. It is very hard for me to picture my daughter nodding off, and some of the other things they show. It just cruhes me. I like being infromed, but I sometime just cry for the addicts they show.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree with helpus, sometimes i fined tv shows that show drugs and drug useage, kind of triggering for me, so it may be to my advantage to not try to watch it right now, don't know how it would effect me or my rah. maybe you can sum it up, once you finish watching it.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it was a great show - i was up til almost 2 in the morning watching - i would pay attention and read and post here, simultaneously - i'm not very good at multi tasking - it was not nearly as personal as intervention - they spent time with doctors, senators trying to charge insurance co's that refuse the treatment that addicts deserve with manslaughter - the last part was people sharing about kids they had lost because insurance co's wouldn't pay for inpatient - it was really good - i think it is 15 parts - i will watch it all - hbo does a great job with documentary kind of stuff...

i hope it helps me understand this thing called addiction a little bit more than i do...

love,
s
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i thought the first segment was excellent - my husband and i were glued to it. very informative, and done with a lot of respect. blessings, k
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK I just set my DVD to record the series tonight. That way I can FF past the parts i can't handle. I am truley intrieged to see the part about insurence company's.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just watched this tonight and I thought it was so interesting! It made me feel good to know that research is being done. There were no stories told from the perspective of the spouse or child of an addict but as a parent. Of course, my MIL watched and felt it was boring so she fell asleep...........why can't I not be disappointed in her reaction? My AH is now living in her house so if she wants to remain uninformed then that is her problem. Codie reaction, I know!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also watched it, and I was really impressed with the aspects of the brain and addiction. I also found that they (doctors and others) were not condeming of the addicts and they were hopeful instead of just saying.........there is no cure theres no hope....I will be watching the series........I think maybe I will learn more and understand more .
Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to find a way to record this series, too. AS is living in a half way house and doesn't have HBO. I love the medical/scientific aspect to it. He of course is worried that the show "glorifies" use. I didn't think it did. Did anyone else feel that way?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caughtinthemid View Post
I want to find a way to record this series, too. AS is living in a half way house and doesn't have HBO. I love the medical/scientific aspect to it. He of course is worried that the show "glorifies" use. I didn't think it did. Did anyone else feel that way?

I didn't feel that it glorified the use at all! I hate when they show an addict using.........it makes me so sad.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is on again this afternoon y'all... I'm going to check it out later. DVR is great.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

trying i think it was on all day here - fascinating...

i've seen 6 different shows (all part of the addiction series), some not episodes really, but something called *supplemental addiction* they do more in depth interviews with different people - from the directors to the parents - the kids episode was great - different treatment facilities - parents who never thought they'd have their kids arrested but did - but the best thing i've seen thus far is called tv junkie - it's this guys own videos h(is video diaries) used to show addiction - it starts with him using in his early twenties, a correspondant on inside edition (the same time bill o'reilly <who i can't stand, but...> was on) - getting married - having kids - a beautiful wife and addicted to crack - at one point he tries to tell what it feels like - it was just so honest, so heartbreaking, so real - i think it was an hour and 1/2 - i could have watched all his tapes for another 3 or 4 hours - fascinating...

if i didn't just happen to keep hbo on after watching the addiction series i don't think i would have known it was part of it - catch it if you can...

love,
s
Old 03-18-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just made a thread about the TV junky one I could have watched all his tapes too. Informative as well but for some a little too informative.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just watched the first 1 1/2 show. Very interesting. Now this persepctive is very different than what I've leaened thus far about addiction. Saying that letting someone hit bottom isn't nessesary. That someday addition will be treated the same way as any other disease, and the addict won't be so discriminated against, from society, insurence company's & employers. It was something to see what the brain goes through during a craving. I have 2 more 1/2 hour this recorded. I haven't had time to watch those yet. It that all of them though?