My tool box is missing some stuff

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My tool box is missing some stuff

I went over to help a friend this weekend, and I took my toolbox. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and found that there were things I needed that weren't there! My pliers are missing, my big screw driver, some important drill bits.

I don't remember the last time I pulled out this box, and I certainly don't remember not maintaining my toolbox. My tools are important to me and I need to know they are there when I reach for them! I must have become complacent... and took some things for granted.

For those of you who are new to recovery, that's why us 'old timers' keep coming back. We continue to go to meetings, we read our literature,we call our friends in recovery, we work the steps and use our slogans, we come to the forums here and share our experience, strength and hope. It's how we maintain our "recovery toolbox". My recovery tools are important to me and I need to know they are there when I reach for them! I can't afford to become complacent or take things for granted...

Thanks for letting me share.

~ Cat
Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cat, all your important recovery tools are all in place, I have seen you use them well and take very good care of them.

The other toolbox may just need a little sprucing up.

And...I have to say that it is such a pleasure to know another woman who values her toolbox as much as I do mine. I love hardware stores like some women like jewelery shops, and am the envy of most handymen I know.

Both my recovery tools and my widget tools are close at hand and ready for use on any occasion that requires maintenance and repair.

Hugs and Wratchets
Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((Cats))))

What a great analogy.
That is what that was, right? lol

Your tools are the spiffiest around.
Your recovery is blinding...

Grab a pair, ya'll. Cat is in the house, yeeaaahhhh!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Cat... your recovery ceretainly looks fine from here - thanks for sharing what helps keep it solidly in place!

But hon, check the pantyhose - I think I see where your pliers went. And you might be missing some of those shop towels?

(grin)
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

look like you have your tools to me too. check your box good, they have to be there somewhere.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

Sorry to hear that your tools up and walked away. When the ring my father bought me for college graduation "disappeared" I was devastated. I just couldn't believe that my exAGF would do something like that to me. I don't know why I thought I was somehow above becoming a victim just because we were dating. Then I read this post called "What Addicts Do" and it really put things in perspective for me. I learned to hide or lock away my valuables. Damn, the harsh realities of living and loving an addict can be depressing.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
President

I'm somewhat confused.... there's nothing new about that!!!! Did you really lose your tools or is that just a part of the analogy???? If you did lose them, I hope they find their way back to you!!! LOL!

Much love and hugs!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Cats,
I've always thought you were one of the people with the best toolboxs around, in fact...... on occasion, I've kind of "borrowed" some of your tools. (I couldn't resist the pink toolbox) but I truly did replace them, when I acquired some of my own.

Last edited by mooselips; 11-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

New,
Some of the tools in my household toolbox really are missing in action. It's possible they are somewhere in my garage or in the basement, or cast aside wherever the last project was located. My sons use the box from time to time to hang pictures etc and it's possible one of them ended up with something .... but as I was driving home with the big orange tool box on the front seat of my car, the analogy struck me. If I don't maintain the tool box, and check on it from time to time, I might find myself in a place where I need something and it's NOT there! And for me, it's the same as my program of recovery.

For me, my recovery is a lifelong thing. I can't just say "oh, I get it now! I need to make some changes and things will be just fine." In my world it doesn't work like that. I need to go to meetings, do my readings, pull out my slogans and other "tools" on a regular basis so that when the next thing happens, I am prepared to deal with it from a place of recovery instead of reacting to it from a place of ...well... whatever it is we call the opposite of our recovery!

~ Cat

PS Moosie, I LOVE the pink tools. I may have to get myself a tool box set like that... I bet my macho sons wouldn't be caught dead driving around with one of MY hot pink screwdrivers in their car!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS Moosie, I LOVE the pink tools. I may have to get myself a tool box set like that... I bet my macho sons wouldn't be caught dead driving around with one of MY hot pink screwdrivers in their car!
ROTFLMAO!!!