SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/118033-hello.html)

Barbdee 03-12-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dollydo (Post 1244491)
Welcome, glad you found us. Addiction does seem to run in families. I do wonder sometimes, both my parents were alcoholics,Mom still is, Dad quit 10 years ago. I am not addicted to anything, nor is my brother...makes me wonder how we "Didn't catch the disease"...neither of us have children so at least we don't have to worry about passing the disease on. Dolly

Dear Dolly,
Science has proved unequivocally there is a genetic defect that causes addiction. This is no longer a theory, but a proven FACT. You don't "catch" genetic disorders. They are ingrained in your DNA. And you sure do have to worry about passing the disease on, because it's a gene...it can be recessive (hidden) or dominant (obvious), but it's still there. It can skip several generations only to surface again in a grandchild or greatgrandchild.
Also, I have never found a single person with four grandfather alcholics that did not have some sort of addiction. It could be sex, food, the computer, anything....but it's there. I'm talking about my four grandfathers, of course, you only mentioned your mother and father.
If you are serious about you and your brother never having kids, then the genetic defect will die out. But we play a game of dice everyday that we wake up....taking a chance, having kids is still the most fullfulling thing to do.
Love, SM

Louise54 03-12-2007 04:45 PM

Hi,

Welcome to SR. My daughter is 17 and has had to go through what your going through too. Her brother is now 22 and we just kicked him out of the house. I have to admit our house has been very peaceful since he left about a week and a half ago. I am really worried about him as each day goes by and we don't hear anything, but hopefully he will hit rock bottom and see the light. You are in my prayers.

Louise

mish99 03-14-2007 12:44 AM

A HUGE thank you to all of you for your words!

I feel right at home!

I am determined not to let this ruin my life! Im studying journalism online at the moment while i work as a receptionist. (i finished my matric last year) I know that my life needs to go on. I will always be there for my brother but only when he asks for help.

You guys have been great!

Thank you!

dollydo 03-14-2007 03:47 AM

Secret Mom,

Thanks for the infro...perhaps "catch" was not a proper word to use, just popped into my head as I typed, yes, I know it is a gene thing.

As for me, I am almost 60, children are not in the picture, and at 49 my brother is not interested either. Neither of us had yearning to have children, and neither of us regret our decision.

Brownie 03-14-2007 03:59 AM

Welcome Mish - I'm a Mom of a Heroin addict. So glad you found SR - wonderful wise people here for 24/7. I see a lot had to look up tik - thanks Jewelz for the answer. You will not go through this alone even I can feel the love and encouragement being sent to you. ((((HUGS))))

mish99 03-16-2007 04:39 AM

Thanks for the welcome brownie!

I can also feel the love! I am so happy i found SR! :-)