Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hellooooo equus, I found some goodies for ya

Start with
and then
this is a good overview of long term effects of continuous consumption
Damage to the liver starts here
A good start on neurotransmitters is here
That waking up some 4 hours after drinking? That's a glucose spike, from the carbs. Read all about it here
You might want to keep your research _inside_ NIAAA at first because they provide excellent overviews of relevant research and will save you a lot of time chasing outside references that are well summarized within NIAAA.

Enjoy

Mike
Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

NIAAA is an excellent research site. Unfortunately as I'm largely self taught beyond the basics I try to make use of any means of access to journal articles - I'm lucky to have better access through friends. The UK and USA have slightly different styles and focus, I like to read both and wouldn't want to restrict myself.

The important thing is to learn IF that's what somebody wants to do. To those ends my only recomendation is to check author and references for relevance. In journals, especially old ones that have big reputations on the line the author has to loop the loop to get in, and usually it's reliable.

Text books need some caution and 'coffee table' books need even more - for the latter references MUST be present and really need to be checked as authors may have utterly misrepresented articles, or used references that in no way show what they have claimed is accurate. Need I say more than James Fray.....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sunshine003]
I'd hate to think that anything my ah has said to me when drunk and I'm talking about the nastiness was true. Some of his words haunt me to this day. Although I'm learning to have my own opinion, words can still hurt and leave lasting scars.

Something standing out right at this moment was him coming home after staying out all night, I was up worried.....I spent all night pacing the floors and as he waltzed in, my day was beginning also since all the kids were starting to wake. He told me I was the biggest mistake he had ever made and he was sick and tired of the daily struggle of coming home to me because I was toxic to anyone I came in contact with. He told me I wasn't capable of loving anyone, ever.

It went on and on but it hurt me deeply. At that time, I was all too accepting of his drunken behavior AND I hardly gave him a hard time. I never stuck up for myself and was forgiving to the point that he didn't even have to apologize. It's sickening how I was back then. So clearly, there was no truth to his words. Besides, each and everyday, he'd tell me how wonderful I was, etc.

[QUOTE]

Sorry he said those things to you, but good example of the kinds I things I was thinking when I said that with AH there is not alot of "truth in wine" IMHO...maybe "his" skewed truth at that particular moment,but no connection to realtiy at all. That is the kind of nonsense my AH would come up with,usually in a blackout (the kids would question him on other things and he would be insensed that we would ever think he could/would ever think or say something so terrible,especially to people he loves....... How could we possibly accuse him of that?! Well,he did.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
I think you'll find the effects of alcohol on the executive function of the frontal lobes remains as a disinhibition to compulsive behaviour. I'm not 100% sure but I think what you've refered to is rather the stimulant/depressant element.

Falling off your chair to go to sleep is pretty disinhibited behaviour!

Seems to me, in "Under the Influence" even the act of depression/stimulation caused by alcohol is different in body of alcoholics and non-alcoholics.....therefore one would not be surprised that other behavior,etc might be different,too. Just a thought.