Holding my nerve....

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holding my nerve....

I once thought of holding my nerve as relating just to my old job horse breaking!! I used to say it isn't the horse which I need to tame (that's the easier bit), what we REALLY had to tame was our own fear. Lately I'm wondering if this is true of far more than the first time you place your weight on a young horses back and put your fate in the hands of your beliefs and skill.

I watched an inspirational drama at the weekend about a retired head teacher who returned to work in order to turn a school round after the last head teacher was stabbed. She began at the begining, she continued through opposition, she was both reasoned and sure.

She succeeded and one of the last scenes was her giving advice to a previously very awkward pupil who had said she'd like to grow up to be like the headmistress. The advice she gave was 'Hold your nerve'.

At work I've been holding my nerve for a long time and soon either it will pay off or it won't. I'm still holding my nerve - but it's never been a task I perfected!!

Thinking back through last year and the times people encouraged me to trust my gut - it wasn't until I realised I would HAVE TO hold my nerve that things began to change inside me. Until then I had swung between courage and feeling totally overwhelmed. Eventually I realised being overwhelmed gave me NOTHING in return - so right or wrong courage was the better option.

I'm begining to look back and it's crossing my mind that much of life isn't about the tasks we face, more about the tasks we face inside ourselves, that we don't overcome hardship as much as we overcome the emotions and thoughts which divert and damage.

I think I need to think about this, I think maybe I can gain something in drawing on ALL my experiences breaking fear and self doubt - I was wrong to think that process only lay within a job which made it visible.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Eventually I realised being overwhelmed gave me NOTHING in return - so right or wrong courage was the better option.
This is hugely true for me. When I came to this realization I felt free. As I didnt HAVE to be or feel overwhelmed, that was something I was choosing to feel!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

more about the tasks we face inside ourselves
Yeppers!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the pleasure of some gentle encouragment from someone I really respect today. I did me good and made me think.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

life isn't about the tasks we face, more about the tasks we face inside ourselves, that we don't overcome hardship as much as we overcome the emotions and thoughts which divert and damage
amen to that eq!!! rewriting the old tapes.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

I'm begining to look back and it's crossing my mind that much of life isn't about the tasks we face, more about the tasks we face inside ourselves, that we don't overcome hardship as much as we overcome the emotions and thoughts which divert and damage.
HA! I copied this before I read the responses and saw that Christie did the same ! So true EQ and it is all about how we handle the situation rather than the situation itself. We choose what will "make" or "break" us IMO. And BTW- you are courageous my friend.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a bloody coward too!!! All horse breakers are cowards - at least all the ones that stay in one piece! There's no point looking to get hurt and perhaps that's a life lesson too.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You my friend are no coward.....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MEEEEP!!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is being so tested at work....

I WILL NOT give in to feeling overwhelmed! I WILL NOT give in to feeling powerless!

I will hold my bloody nerve and hope it's a wise move!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

I like this post for a number of reasons.
But, I don't think we "choose" that which will make or break us. Indeed, I've been researching the whole concept of resilience lately, and discussing it with my counselor. Here's an article that might help.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/resilience/MH00078
That being said, I should also note that there's a big political controversy about the whole issue of resiliency in the mental health field. I've summarized it here:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1002519
Hope this information contributes to this conversation. We are never powerless, even if we sometimes feel that way. But, we can learn ways to become more empowered in our lives too.

Shalom!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was a kid we lived in a cafe and Gloria Gaynor would belt out on the juke box "as long as I know how to love I'll know I'm still alive."

My resilliance then came from that song, from caring about something MORE than any physical aspect of life and coiling myself around it. Knowing how to love WAS knowing I was still alive to me, it WAS life and unlike so much else it was MINE, in my control, belonging to me.

I think what I learned in protecting that one thing in turn taught me everything else!! But I'm still learning, I'm still resilliant, and where I don't feel it I still coil round what is at the core of me and keep going.

I'll have a look at those links, I just wanted to write what I felt first.