Threads getting shut....

Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

absolutely .....I agree 100% with your last post Equus.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
cmc

It is a very sad thing to read someone say that if a new person is turned away and does not 'see' recovery here....'so what?' I wonder what it takes to get the point across that recovery sites are not all about debates and 'soapbox' diatribes.
SR is a place where people who are literally dying from their addictions may come for help. How sad that some people have no compassion for the lost and hurting addicts and families 'out there.'
I cannot imagine thinking that my 'right to expression' supercedes someone else's chance at recovery.
This is a wonderful place and let us not forget or have some sort of misguided sense of entitlement. Despite that it is a public forum, there are rules- and I think this has become somewhat of a challenge match. The mods and admin have been more than patient, my suggestion- take it or leave it is to grow up and maybe think about appreciating having such a nice place for people to come to for help.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Ann
I hesitated to post here, but could no longer sit on my hands and listen to the lack of respect for those who deserve it most. We're not perfect, but we work very hard to be fair and patient, we care about every single member and we do the best we can. You can't ask for more than that.

Hugs
To Everyone:

I want you all to know that I have respect for all of you. The Volunteers, the Members, and The Newcomers. I'm not perfect either and I think I may have appeared to have no respect.

I just want you all to know that I do. I do not know what I would have done without Sober Recovery in my life. I need it everyday to stay sane (ish). Thank you all.

~doll
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmc
SR is a place where people who are literally dying from their addictions may come for help. How sad that some people have no compassion for the lost and hurting addicts and families 'out there.'
I cannot imagine thinking that my 'right to expression' supercedes someone else's chance at recovery.
First of all, I want to say that I do appreciate all those who work hard to make this place what it is. And that SR has helped me tremendously over the past year. (That's right, I was one of those who lurked for a long time before being ready to participate.)

This debate could go on endlessly, but I just wanted to say that sometimes those who are hurting the most are the ones who are the most angry and bitter. I know I was. Maybe that was one of the reasons I decided not to post right away. So, in all fairness, shutting down someone who is venting their anger and bitterness without breaking any rules is just as bad as someone going away because of the angry and bitter poster, is it not? Is SR only here to help those that are sad and vulnerable, not those who are angry? This place is ultimately self-help and those who are here choose to be here. Again, just my humble opinion.

L
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
It's about the rules and respecting the forum- not telling people that they cannot vent, period. Whether it's an underage child or an abused woman does not matter to me, my idea is to have a climate of respect and recovery for those newcomers. To me it is all about that- plus sharing esh.
Regardless of our personal opinions- the foremost issue is that this is a wonderful place and the rules are in place not of our choosing. I just hope that others will see that and stop complaining.
I have a guy on another forum who just said how thankful he is to have this place as an opportunity to share his strength. Note- I don't see him arguing over his right to say what he pleases on someones website. Now that's recovery.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi,
Since I started this thread I just want to say....
I wasn't complaining, merely asking a question about why
a positive thread I started was locked during the night while
I was asleep...I had no idea what had happened until someone
pm'd me and it wasn't a mod.
I feel I do follow the rules and when and if I don't, I have no
problem with a reminder. I think this site is a god send personally.
However, I do think that some material here isn't appropriate for children...
but then again we can not control who meanders into this site ...
Thanks to all that have helped in my ongoing commitment to recovery.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I Can't Believe This Thread Is Still Going !!!!!!

It is pretty basic...Respect and rules and guidelines..

I don't think all this arguing and debate about what a
Volunteer is doing or not doing deserves all this energy.

Why is this going on, & on, & on, & on & on & on.......................
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I agree with all you said, Patty.

cmc--I am not arguing my right to say what I please on someone else's web site. I'm just having a hard time with the idea that my responses should be tempered to meet the needs of all those who may be lurking rather than directed to the specific poster I am responding to. That seems to be what some are suggesting. I have a hard enough time expressing what I am feeling on any particular topic. Trying to word it in a way that meets the whole world's needs is just too much responsibility. Maybe I should just read for a while.

L
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upanddownjj
I
Why is this going on, & on, & on, & on & on & on.......................
Maybe because it needs to?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Ok
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Obviously everyone hasn't been satisfied with the way this is going
so on it goes.....
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

, SOBERRECOVERY AND THE MULLIGAN GROUP reserves the right to remove, edit or delete content that SOBERRECOVERY AND THE MULLIGAN GROUP, in its sole discretion, determines to be unsuitable for the Online Forums.

SR Policy Rules and Regs
Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I may be mistaken, but I didn't think that anyone was arguing about what was in the rules. It was more about the application of them - specifically that no-one knew which had been applied and why.

But Carol has played the joker, so I guess that's the end of that matter.

As for the rest of the inflammatory BS - I would have thought better of Mods and Greeters.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

no you weren't mistaken Minnie no one was arguing about the rules....
rules are everywhere, rules are neccessary...
however the rest of the stuff that has been going on here isn't. IMHO
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
No more hostages

I have been reading this thread wondering; pondering the responses.
In my own opinion (and for my own good) I find it necessary to be open to other's opinions and suggestions- If I write something and a mod sees fit to remove it, then I just accept it and move on. In my life I am notorious for making the wrong decisions, saying the wrong things and being entirely self-centered. So my thinking sometimes may need to be edited... and it has been... and no matter if I felt it the "right" or the "wrong", it is part of life here on SR.
I think the mods do the best they can in deciding what and who stays and what and who goes... just like I do the best I can in helping others or myself...
Anyway, it has been an interesting thread, and I have kindof enjoyed the realm of opinions here...but for me, I am grateful someone may be looking out for the best interest of others when I myself may only be looking out for me.
That said, I love you all!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Unbelievable

I don't even post on this forum but this caught my attention. For any of the members on SR to rip down the Mods or Greeters is really aggravating to me. First off, why do you think someone becomes a Mod or Greeter? Because they have displayed signifcant recovery and dedication to SR and the principles of recovery. No one is perfect, but I respect the Mods AND Greeters because it takes work to get where they are.

Minnie, to say "in regards to inflammatory BS I expect more from Mods and Greeters" is the most inflammatory thing I read here. Moreover, it's hurtful to those who give their lives and time to this board for the good of others as well as themselves. I hope that made you feel better to say that, because in my opinion it was unneccessary.

I won't speculate on the motivations of other posters but I do know if a Mod says something I listen. Even if I don't agree, they are in their positions because they deserve to be. If I feel I can't agree to or follow the rules and their implementation, I would leave the board.

I am fine with everyone expressing their opinion, but to strike out against each other is contrary to why I, at least, am here.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

This might help:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/c...akepeace.shtml
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have thought better of Mods and Greeters
There are 137,000 al-anon message boards on google. If you don't like the rules and moderators and greeters here there a plenty of choices available.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
There are 137,000 al-anon message boards on google. If you don't like the rules and moderators and greeters here there a plenty of choices available.
Wow!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Let me set the room for anyone who's reading this thread thinking WTF?!?!?

Mike has shut down a couple "controversial topic" threads for reasons that I believe don't agree with his opinions on recovery methods and disease classifications. Like I said earlier, I could be wrong. This issue has been brewing for a while and The Mel thread seems to have been the trigger.

To be fair, I would not want the responsibility of mediating a forum that will ultimately hit on my own personal hot buttons...cuz I got em fur sure. Anyone that volunteers their time AND agrees to test their recovery under the spotlight has courage IMO.

So please mike, am I wrong?