Getting Sober

Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, caracal. Especially with the calls to the center. Are you calling an AA center? I've never heard of such a thing - that they would not call you back regarding a ride. They need new staff!

What are you hoping will happen for him at the meetings? Heck, what is he hoping? You say he is not capable of doing anything for himself right now. What happened after the meeting? Is he going back?

I know you are under a lot of stress right now; I hope you find some of that time to tend to your own needs.

Take care.
I am calling the hotline, it is also the number to the intergroup center for the North Central Fl Area which is suppose to help ppl. I just cant believe that they have ppl there who dont want to help a person out.
I am hoping that at the meetings he will realize that he is not alone, that there is help and support for those who choose to seek it. He feels good after going to the meetings, and he is going back to more. This is all I can hope for is that he gets help and stops drinking.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Still confused....Does he want to go to the meeting?
Did he injure his dialing finger.......Can't imagine you have
all this extra time with small children to tend to.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979
Caracal,
My issue is not that you shouldnt drop him off at a meeting.
My issue is that I dont recall you mentioning him asking you to.
If my ex had asked me, I would have taken him.
He didnt ask, I was trying to make him go, make him get sober, make him stop being an alcoholic.

By the way, after 4 days, he should be feeling much better. Or is he still drinking?

Let me say..to say that he is not capable of anything by himself is an interesting statement.

I used to say that. I said it to justify my control and being the sobriety ring leader. There were some times that my ex detoxed, and I went to work anyway. Babying them doesnt help. If he is really that sick from detox, than he should go to a hospital.
Yes he has asked me to take him to the meetings. And I dont want him driving to meetings if he has been drinking because he already has one DUI. I dont know if it has stopped or if he is still drinking. He refuses to go to a hospital, so I cant force him. If he want to do this on his own I am behind him.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
Still confused....Does he want to go to the meeting?
Did he injure his dialing finger.......Can't imagine you have
all this extra time with small children to tend to.
Yes he wnats to go to the meetings, and yes he has called himself but like I siad no one would help him I was asked by his sponser to see if I could get him a ride to the meetings. When the kids are napping I have some time to myself, and the end of the month he will be outta state so I will not have to worry about him anymore.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caracal
I am hoping that at the meetings he will realize that he is not alone, that there is help and support for those who choose to seek it. He feels good after going to the meetings, and he is going back to more. This is all I can hope for is that he gets help and stops drinking.
How did last night's meeting go?

Caracal - there may be people at the meeting you go to for yourself who complain about your children. Just because people go to Al-Anon doesn't make them saints, LOL, they are who they are. The majority of people in all my meetings would never turn someone away who really needed to be there. In fact, some old timers offer to sit with the children if need be. Try not to concentrate on those who have a problem with it. If you're comfortable doing so, address it at the meeting. I've heard people say "I really need these meetings but no one can watch my kids."

I hope it all works out.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You can read back to my first post on 7-19-06 can can one help if you need to know more. But I am seeking help for myself and my children and soon he will be on his own dealing with the problem, we will not be moving with him outta state. So he needs to sober up now or never.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57
How did last night's meeting go?

Caracal - there may be people at the meeting you go to for yourself who complain about your children. Just because people go to Al-Anon doesn't make them saints, LOL, they are who they are. The majority of people in all my meetings would never turn someone away who really needed to be there. In fact, some old timers offer to sit with the children if need be. Try not to concentrate on those who have a problem with it. If you're comfortable doing so, address it at the meeting. I've heard people say "I really need these meetings but no one can watch my kids."

I hope it all works out.
His meeting last night went well.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The idea that you want to drive him becasue he has a DUI I get....
but I don't think AA likes it's members to attend drunk or if they
have been drinking...kind of defeats the purpose I would think
Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

4th day.....

He's still drinking? What happens if you go to a meeting drunk? Seems like a bad idea. He needs a sponser that is closer.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
The idea that you want to drive him becasue he has a DUI I get....
but I don't think AA likes it's members to attend drunk or if they
have been drinking...kind of defeats the purpose I would think
The AA meetings I'm familiar with doesn't turn anyone away and I do not believe they look unkindly on showing up to a meeting drunk. They've all been there, so they understand.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ya learn something new everyday.......thanks Judy.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Does his sponsor drive?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not all meetings are the same Patty, these are only the ones I'm familiar with. Drunks are pretty tolerant of other drunks, or at least that's what I've been told. The thinking is basically if the person is sitting there listening, hopefully something will get through and make an impression, eventually.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hmmm...well mine never went drunk...why would he?
when the bar was so inviting......AA was kind of last on
his list while intoxicated.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I guess people that are court ordered to go, or given the ultimatum by a spouse or sadly, even required by the High School or Middle School. Jay tells me it's not uncommon to see someone drunk at a meeting every now and then.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

From that prospective I can see that....how sad....
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey caracal, I've just read your thread, and I just wanted to say I'm full of respect for you and your strength of character.

Take care of yourself

Paul
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Does his sponsor drive?
yes his sponser drives but he doesn't live in our town, when he moves he is going to get a sponser closer to home
Old 07-25-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackson123
He's still drinking? What happens if you go to a meeting drunk? Seems like a bad idea. He needs a sponser that is closer.
Hey there, sorry to jump in so late in your thread.

The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. If he shows up drunk and remains quiet most meetings will just let him sit in a corner. If he gets beligerent then he will be gently removed. If he is unable to drive for whatever reason then _he_ can call the AA office in the phone book and see if they will give him a ride to a meeting. Most offices will have someone to give rides. But _he_ has to call. If you call you will get passed over to an Al-anon who will invite _you_ to a meeting

Mike
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I started a thread in the AA forum to get a different prospective on
this very subject for anyone that is interested.