Another OT question

Old 07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Another OT question

My 20 yr old son parks his car on the street in front of the house and it was hit by another car the other night. Not big damage but his driver door doesn't open all the way anymore. My neighbor who lives directly across the street has a teenage daughter and frequently has her many friends over during the evenings, often late nights. My neighbor works the night shift as a nurse and it's party city over there when she's working. Know what I mean?

From the looks of the dent, it appears that a car backing out of my neighbors driveway backed up about 6 inches too far! Bang!

So... I'm thinking one of her daughters buds banged my sons car and took off. My neighbor is cool, her kids are good kids, never had a neighborhood issue like this before and I'm not bothered by her daughters social life in the least bit. She's a good kid.

What would you do?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it was me I'd treat the daughter as an adult - leave the social life out of it and just ask her because of where the dent is.

She might say no out of loyalty but chances are she'd pick it up with the driver IF it really was any of her friends.

In the UK you wouldn't see any money after someone's driven away with no proof so the best outcome is to encourage FUTURE thoughtfulness and responsibility rather than to gain an admision (sp?) of guilt.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Speak to the daughter and give her a chance to do the right thing?

Hint at blackmail?

Set up a camera to record all comings and goings from the house so you can see which one has a dented rear?

2 out of those 3 aren't exactly serious, btw.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Report it to you son's insurance company.
I don't think it could be proved
as to who did it...
so why approach the woman?

Can your son park in your driveway from now on?

That's it from me...
Old 07-22-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

His car has a slow fluid leak so I told him to park it in the street.. LOL!!!

His car isn't worth much, tired and seen better days anyway. We're planning on dumping it shortly. I didn't cover it for collision so can't claim it on my insurance.

I wish people would just step up to the plate and say hey man, I f-d up... sorry. Here's my insurance info....

As much as I would like for the daughters friend to do that I doubt it will happen and saying anything to my neighbor will just make her feel bad, It's pretty obvious where the offending "hit and runner" car came from... Her driveway!

I was thinking I would suggest my son talk to the daughter and see if anything comes of it.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeap, same thing happened to me years ago. I parked forward or back a bit everytime after that. And you're right it would be nice if the person would just own up to it.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Why shouldn't the daughter or her friends have to be responsible, if it actually was her who did the damage? I think being made to pay would be a great character building lesson for her.

Is there any way you can get a look at the bumper of their car? There should be some damage there if she was the one who dented your son's car... CSI watch out!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I say ask the daughter about it. Don't accuse her of anything but just ask......and it can be proven like robina says....the other car, more than likely would have some paint transfer on it. You could also file a police report if you want, may be they would even go ask the daughter about it.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Yep- unless the daughter really fesses up, there will be no way of proving it. I got hit by a drunk driver once and because I didn't see the driver's face (but I got a full description of his car and license plate number), he was not prosecuted b/c I could not "prove" HE was driving!! Good luck w/it Jazz.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Jazz,

Got a question from another perspective - Is it legal for your son to park his vehicle on the street? In our area, some streets have signs posted with no parking on streets - people do it anyway - if the vehicles are involved in accidents, they are "no vault" accidents because vehicle was illegally parked.

Don't know if this applies in your area - just wondering???
Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Japic it's cool to park on the street here. I talked to my Son about this yesterday and he agreed it was sad that the offending driver chose to just drive off, but we also agreed that it just wasn't worth it. I left it w/ him if he wanted to say something to the teenage neighbor. As it turns out it's barely noticeable and I was able to bend the fender back so the driver door opens normal.

His car has served it's propose and was no great expense to begin with. With all the other mechanical things wrong with it right now it will either sit in my garage uninsured waiting for my other son, or it will be sold before the oldest goes back to school this fall.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Some things just have a way of working themselves out, don't they?