I cut my hair...

Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cut my hair...

Wow...how empowering was that. I've always had long hair and my AH (in the sober times) has always said how much he loved my long hair and would absolutely hate if I cut it. I have wanted to go shorter for some time now, but never wanted to "disappoint" him. Yesterday, my birthday, I did what I wanted. It's my head, my hair, my look. The winds of change are blowing....

This has been a tremendously BAD week. Mulitple drunken bouts in a single day....ugh....anyway, like I said yesterday was my birthday, and guess what...not even a "Happy Birthday" from him. This is an all new low - even for him.

I feel gutsy...something I haven't felt for a while. The book, Codependant No More has clearly helped some, even though I've only read a small portion of it. Even though I'm not ACTING on life-altering decisions, I am becoming more and more comfortable with the boundaries I've set - my timeline, my limits.

I just pray I can stick to my guns and feel as empowered tomorrow as I do today. Baby steps....baby steps....but they are still steps....

fa
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you !

I'm trying to make some changes in myself too. I don't have the book yet, but my sister is picking it up for me tonight. Right now, I'm trying to work up the nerve to attend my first Al Anon meeting tonight.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Belated Birthday to you!
Good for you ...your hair is yours to do with as you will....
I say shave it off..... if that is your will.....
I know all about those multiple drunken episodes in one day....
how I used to think I was the only one who lived through them...
Keep on keepin' on....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Well Happy Belated Birthday!
Change is good, once the fear of it has been booted out the door!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Happy birthday! I did the same thing, cut my hair I donated it to locks for love.....then I died it red... Love it. good luck
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

happy belated birthday and good going on the hair. one step can make you feel more empowered for other changes!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!! (hug)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Happy Birthday and may all your days from now on be "good hair days"!

A few months ago I cut my long hair (it had been long for 30 years) - I feel great now - its much more stylish and up-to-date
Old 07-19-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wooohooo

Birthday song for you! Happy Birthday to you ........................

Amazing what a haircut and style can do for ya. I hope you make it a Birthday week instead of just a day!

Too Funny though, when you said he did not with you a happy birthday a girlfriend of mine came to mind. Her husband forgot her birthday and she said nothing, the next day she went out and bought herself a VERY expensive piece of jewerly.... when the husband asked her about it she told him that it was his gift to her for her birthday. He never forgot again... I just thought it was funny
Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

to the new you!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay
when the husband asked her about it she told him that it was his gift to her for her birthday. He never forgot again... I just thought it was funny
I think I'd rather see something like that as MY gift to me for my birthday. Kinda ick to think I'm actually going to act out the role I wish someone would play. I guess she got the desired outcome -- but isn't this the kind of controlling stuff we codies want to 'grow out of'?

Feelingalone -- I so undertand the kind of empowerment you felt in cutting your hair and making a decision for you, regardless of anyone else's views. Good for you -- you probably look fabulous!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all...

I do feel fabulous. I have decided to take care of me..imagine that! LOL I am going out and buying my birthday present from..ME! Good point Getting Free! I feel more professional, more confident...and ready to conquer the world. Well, maybe not the world, but at least this day in my life - which can feel like the entire world sometimes.

Thanks for all of your kind words.

fa