Bad Timing

Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Timing

Hey all. As you know, I have continually taken baby steps toward maybe leaving. I didn't know if I was really ready for the step, but yesterday I put a deposit down on an apartment. It was kind of scary, but there was a leasing special, so I wouldn't lose much if I backed out.

Then just now, our boss announced that she is quitting. This is after her boss just quit two weeks ago. Our whole department is changing, and now I'm even more worried about making a life change and moving my whole life to such instability. I'm sure it will be OK, but now I'm just even more concerned.

I guess I don't have a question...I'm just worrying and wanted to get it out.
Maybe some of you with more life/job experience have some encouragement or even some warnings.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does your husband know?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am one that believes everthing happens for a reason. Two bosses quitting leads to possible promotions from within, which could lead to more openings, which might lead to a promotion for you? You never know. Crystal balls are notoriously defective. Do what you need to do today and take care of tomorrow when it gets here. (Then it will be today!)

Besides, what good is all your worry and fret going to do anyway?

L
Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey sweetie...

I dont know they type of company you work for. Is it a large company? Is there high turn over or layoffs?

Most of the time I would worry about nothing when things like that happened.... but if you are feeling insecure about your job, so something proactive.... update the resume, check out other job online or in the paper.

Wow wonderful step, how are you feeling about the possibilities of having your own place? I know it has been a struggle for you but Im proud of you, one more baby step.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

1) If your boss and her boss quit, there is likely a lack of management workers....In theory, now would not be a time for them to let people go...generally speaking

2) If you got a deal on the deposit, then good job! Nothing worth having comes without a price my friend!

3) Baby steps is fine...whatever you are comfortable with.

4) one day at a time. Trust your instincts and your HP!

Tell us about your apartment!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on the apartment....
let the chips fall where they may....
you are in the right direction...one foot in front of the other...
Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think everyone in life wants a guarantee that there will be stability.

Unfortunately, there never is..Things change, life is unstable.

That's why the saying "one day at a time" is so great..

Today is only Tuesday...Only work on what you have in front of you today.

You can't plan - life happens.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I think everyone in life wants a guarantee that there will be stability.

Unfortunately, there never is
Well, if he stays sick and you just stay, that usually warrants a stable emotion of miserableness.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the reminders to just live in today. It's not so much that I'm worried about not having a job anymore. It's more that last week, I had decided that I officially liked my job and my team and our goal, and I was comfortable thinking I could commit to working here and therefore a lease. I began looking for places. I put a deposit down Monday, and Tuesday I find out we will be reporting to someone else as of next Friday. I just wanted to feel comfortable, at least for now, that I was stable during this consideration of a move. Now I have fears of, "Will I still like my job in 3 months?" I wish that I would have time to work with our new boss and get a feel for how everything is going to go more than 1 day before I'm supposed to sign a lease. I know I could stick it out here a year even if I were miserable, but I had gotten to a point of contentment with my job.

As for the apartment, I don't want to get too gung-ho because I did this with a guarantee that I could back out. Will I? I don't know. But I have to admit there is a part of me that's excited. It's cute. I didn't want to spring for the high-dollar ones, but I wanted a nice one too. Then I found one that is newer, but according to reviews online, the management and maintenance aren't that great. I'm willing to sacrifice my dryer vent not getting fixed in order to be in a newer nicer unit that I can afford. I just made extra-sure to get everything in writing so that there's no problems.

I do worry about my dogs...do you all think they will be OK in an apartment all day...?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good god, woman, live a little!!!

Who knows what's going to happen to any of us? In January, I went in to help my Dad's company out for a few hours a week as they were winding down the business. 3 weeks later, out of the blue, they won enough work to keep them going another year. Last week, we won even more which means enough for another year more. I have had 2 big pay rises and have a whole new role. Good things happen too.

I know it's scary - heck, I have had more life change in the past 2 years to last me for a little while. Have a little faith in yourself. You can handle whatever life throws at you.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

TexasGirl,
Congratulations on the new apartment - That is a big step - I am not much of a dog person (we have had several, but it is just not my cup of tea) but I do know that sometimes leaving a radio or TV on helps them feel a little more secure in a new place. Also, letting them have a blanket or old shirt with your scent on it will help with the newness.

I can understand the concerns about the job changes - we just found out this week our agency is looking at combining 8 offices into 3 - which will involve probably a 1 1/2 - 2 hours drive ONE way daily for me. Not sure when they are going to do this & how it will happen - I do have other options, just not sure what my HP has planned. Not so much worry or fretting about it - as I don't like being moved out of my comfort zone. You'd think I would be use to it by now (lol) as my HP seems to do that to me often.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you embark on this new adventure in your life,
Remember, no matter what you and your HP will be ok - even better than OK,
Rita
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ditto what Minnie said. You're taking back your life TG. Go for it!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

TG, your dogs will be allight! Are they crate trained? My back yard doesnt have a fence, so I leave my dog in the crate all day and hes fine!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't listen to those reviews about your apartment community.
9 times out of 10 they are from disgruntled tenants...you know
the type that don't pay their rent and look for every excuse as
to why they shouldn't.......
I am sure everything will be fine in your new home..cross that off your
list of things to worry over....
You were looking for a job when you found this one...right?????
One day at a time......
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
bad timing... maybe, maybe not. I don't know your situation but in mine, if I had lost my job... well I would have to start looking fast. In other words, there was no support from xabf to help out even for a day, less the time to find a new job. So what is the difference if I would have been looking for a place to stay at the same time. Fortunately that wasn't the case this past time... (was just out of a lot of $$$). Previous relationships, I had to look for a place to stay & a job. It's taking one step at a time, it gets done and then you look back and see how it happened...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

TG-- that is great news and I'm so happy for you! Sometimes you just have to "take the plunge" or you'll never go in the water. I'm pulling for you all the way and can tell you that living without the drama is a wonderful feeling. You'll get re-acquainted with YOU again and with what makes YOU happy.

I meant to respond to you in my thread that I started a while ago. You WILL know when the water is too hot and you will jump when that time comes. Just like an A, we all have different breaking points or we simply die ill. That's my opinion anyway. I'm cheering you on all the way!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Those 'what-if's are really familiar to me. Many times I have let fear and worry rob me of today. I'm learning inch by inch to let go, and accept things more as they unfold, rather than worrying about a future I can't control. And when I do, life sure is a lot more enjoyable!

one day at a time,
Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

"Worry is taking responsibility for something God didn't intend you to have."
(((TG)))

It seems that I read that you said you are worried. Another thing I read once about "worry" is that worry is a form of prayer,decree,or asking.

Keep taking those baby steps it is rocky territory you are in. Watch where you are walking but, don't forget to look out to the horizon to make sure you are walking in the direction you want to go. Take care be gentle with yourself.