OT - need help with baby fish!!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - need help with baby fish!!!!

We have two teeny, eeny, weeny fry!!! D wanted to see how the water fern would grow in a glass bowl (with a glass cover - which he propped open to allow air in).

It's now about a month later and we noticed a baby fish in there!!! Now I've seen another one - WE HAVE TWO!! I know it's soft but we love our fish but we're complete novices. I've been hunting on the web but it sounds SO complicated to look after them and we don't have the gear for it.

We figured since they grew in the bowl it can't be that bad for them so we're not going to stick them in the pond with ten adult fish. I took some of the water out and replaced it with fresh spring water to clean it a bit without taking all the nutrients away. I've also finely crushed a piece of fish food for them.

My best friend has an old fish tank we can use as a nursery when they get too big for the bowl (they're about the size of a mosquito right now).

So if you know anything about fish - or know anyone you can ask PLEASE help us save our babies.

I don't want to name them yet, especially not after Steve's demise because he was the first fish we named!!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are they goldfish Ruth ?
Keep them in water from the pond, check out this link

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/spawn.htm
Old 07-16-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They might either be shubunkins or blue orfs!! Or a cross if that's possible! I'll check ut the link. They're still alive and happy today and I've changed half the water again for spring water - which still leaves plrnty of live stuff in there. I've also finely crushed another piece of fish food.

Fingers crossed - they look very chirpy!!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awww, how sweet!!!