This ISN'T about my A...GLORY HALLELUJAH!!!

Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

This ISN'T about my A...GLORY HALLELUJAH!!!

Ok, guys and gals. This isn't about the A in my life or your life. This is just strictly an observation.

I was reading through the posts here as I usually do on a daily basis. I was noticing the little 'do jiggies', you know, those pictures over there on the left. Yeah, I know they have a name of some sort, but it takes too much time to go and look it up...lol. Oh oh, wait....AVATAR! That's it, isn't it? (Thank you, Lord. The brain kicked in...lol.)

So I saw Ann's lovely hanging basket full of beautiful flowers. I saw Searching's lovely purple flower with the butterfly floating by. I saw JT's peace sign as to indicate the peace she is experiencing in her life. Now Smokes, your little 'green guy' is a little questionable, but...lol. But then I looked at mine and....

...........there I was. STILL A GOON!!!!!!! Now I wonder if that is ANY indication of my progress in recovery?????...lol.

Ok, where is that darn Avatar button. I need a new pic!!!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Oh, I can't wait to see what you pick.

Old 02-20-2003, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Awww...I'm stealing that picture if you stop using it....I have a collection of monkeys....hehe (and it probably suits my stage of recovery pretty well too)
Old 02-20-2003, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Hangin,
I have often wondered how each of us picked their certain avatars...( some people who I won't mention have such beautiful ones...and they know how to change them constantly) but I still think it might be fun to know why each of us have picked theirs....
When I was very young before my Mother and Father were divorced, the drinking and fighting was so terribly bad. When my Dad drank he was very violent to all of us. If he was late getting home we would make sure our very large dog was in the house because if Dad had been drinking the dog would not let him near any of us.
I picked the little bulldog because he reminded me of my first surrender to my H.P. I was still very new to the program. It's a long story but after 2 1/2 months of searching for a bulldog puppy, I completely Let Go and Let God & turned my wishes for another dog over to my H.P. and 24 hours later I got a call that I could have the only white bulldog I could find in the whole state. ( he wasn't for sale 2 weeks earlier). I know it is probably a minor thing to some people, but I really did NEED a dog in my house at that time to feel safe...I hadn't learned YET that my H.P. is the only protector I need..Now 14 years later I know that my H.P. gave me exactly what I needed at the time to get me to where HE needed me to be..practicing the 12 step program one day at a time, I guess that to me was my first spiritual awaking. The knowledge my H.P. really truly wants me to be happy, joyous and free.

I had to put my last dog down in Nov. and I wasn't going to get another dog because in doing my 10th step , I realized that I no longer NEEDED a dog. There is such a vast difference to me today between an I need and I want. WHAT a piece of recovery for me! My needs today are so much different than they were then. BUT since my H.P. is so loving and wants only my happiness, I now have a wee 16 wk. old bulldog puppy just because....(.Heard on a speakers tape once dog spelled backwards is God) . He knows I love all of His critters but I enjoy having a dog now BUT don't need one. This has really turned out longer and sounds more like a spiritual awaking story which it is, than why I picked the avatar I did...Hope to hear from some of the others on either subject. Funny how the love of the Al-Anon program comes into my thoughts and actions on a daily basis. Most everything I do or have today is based on the love of my H.P. There was a time when the very word Father even in prayer created fear and dread in me..
Thanks for letting me share part of my story... my small home group knows it already but I haven't shared it otherwise. Somehow it really can out unannounced in sharing here...Take what you can use and leave the rest....
Love and prayers to all
Old 02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for sharing that, Daffodil. And now when I see your avatar next to your posts I'll remember your story.

I chose my avatar because it reminds me of the love I have for my country, and how incredibly blessed we are to live here. The heart shape reminds me of the many wonderful people who have graced my life.

Hugs to you,
kate
Old 02-20-2003, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well as you can see I put a ton of thought into my avatar! I will show my ignorance because I tried very hard to have one of those cute thingies, but was unsuccessful! So mine is blank!

Maybe I'll try again and figure it out, but if I can't I'm letting y'all know that my choice would be some kind of elephant. I am a die hard Bama fan and love football. Maybe there is some connection to our recovery, when I 1st came here Constant was what I felt. Constantly being THE ONE to hold things together or the responsible one etc, etc. Now (if I could figure out how to choose an avatar) I would pick something that I like and enjoy.

Constant
Old 02-20-2003, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hangin'

You're right about having a reason for choosing our avatars. My standard one, is my "middle aged angel" and I had Barbiedeb attach the bunnyslippers. I love angels, collect them, have a gold charm bracelet with only angels on it, and a necklace with an angel in a heart reaching for a little diamond star (my son and my husband gave me it and I wear it every day).

At Christmas, I changed to a Christmas angel, because she was colourful and perked me up.

And my spring basket and flowers are because I LOVE flowers and can't wait for spring to see them again. LOL. I love flowers almost as much as I love angels.

So maybe we can learn a little about each other by our pictures. Smoke's cracks me up. I look every day to see what her Dinatar is doing. I love your furry face, but if you want a new one you go for it and I can't wait to see.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hangin in

Well I am waiting to see your new you.

Mine is from Halloween but I think I'll keep it awhile..
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't know you'rs was a witch until I noticed the kettle. You were missing the hat. I do like it though.

When I first got here I chose the name searching because I was searching for answers to how I could get my husband sober up and fly straight. I quickly learned that I had a lot to learn.

At first I chose a moon because it's my favorite symbol. It goes along with this saying I have had since treatment 11 yrs ago. I actually have a photograph of a moon setting in Hawaii and I framed it and put in my saying.

My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon.

What that means to me is that now that I have lost everything to my addiction, I am able to see what is really important in life and the moon is very spiritual.

Now that I know how to put in the animated avatars, I just think their cool, no other reason.
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Hangin-in you crack me up you silly goon !
I say that in all fondness you know.
and Daffodil your story touched my heart.
I admire your strength in the program its times
like this I want to remember to not get lazy but
keep moving on , forward never back.
I just feel such warmth toward you all.
(((((big hugs)))))) only ffrom a distance I think i
might have broncitis.
One of these days i'll get around to figuring out how to
get an avatar.A seashell or a grain of sand anything
beachy or a bird, love my outside feeder.
Take care all
Hugs liddy
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Hangin 'In,

I sure wish I had the knowledge of how to get some of the really cool things others have! Smoke's is really neat. I never know when I'm going to go on and find his avatar in a different outfit. How Do you Do that?

The reason I picked that crazy mat brushing itself off is because for years, no matter,( why I picked my name,matters,) how bad it gets or what comes my way I will brush myself off and keep going!! I may have days where I cry alot, or days when I am not coping and depressed, but it usually only lasts a day or so and then back to business. Matters-- life is all about matters. I really should decorate for spring. The flowers are so pretty and make you feel happy when you see them. I will have to go on a search. That always takes me so long. Someday maybe I will get the hang of it.

Take care,
matters
Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For anyone who can't figure out how to get an Avatar (those cute pictures by out names)...here's the scoop

At the top of your board, click on "My Profile"

Then click on the "Edit options" choice

Click on "Change Avatar"...and you will see several pages of choices

Choose one by clicking in it's circle and then at the bottom of that same page click on "submit options"

And bingo...you have an avatar.

Now you will see a box there also where you can pick your own from a computer site and put it on, but it has to be a certain tiny size and I when I do that I usually have to as MG or Barbiedeb to help me.LOL.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey

the Dinotar is my new little green hero. His daily change of apparrel not only makes me laugh, but reminds me that daily change is necessary, if only in a very small way. Lately, my message from above seems to be that I need to seek and find more humor in my life. After having a good laugh at the Dinotar yesterday, I got an email called "Diary of a Snow Shoveler" that made me laugh so hard I was in tears.
So I'm playing along with this message from above. My next step is to rent "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" this weekend. I hear it is hysterical.
Looking to laugh more and stress less,
Gabe
Note to the Dinotar: So little time, so much linoleum.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The Dinotar puts a smile on my face every day. I chose my avatar because I liked it (plain and simple). I chose my name because I actually have many doubts!!! --- Confusing, heh?? (and my girls listen to the group No Doubt constantly - so basically it's ingrained in my head).
I have been searching at Avatar sites for something that strikes me but haven't come across anything meaningful yet.
NoDoubt
Old 02-20-2003, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Daffodil

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story.

Well I don't think I have to explain why I chose my avatar. I am abby normal, but that's ok. I can relate to just about anything this way.

Matters,

I think I can give you a change of clothes. Let me work on it.

Hugs,
MG

Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Daffodil and gang, you're not gonna believe this. I read Daffodil's post right before I left for rehearsal. When I went outside at intermission to stretch, there was a white pickup truck parked in front of the theatre. Staring out the driver's window at me was a white bulldog. No kidding. I had to pinch myself. I thought the rapture had come.

I got the dinotar from JT. She found him at New Year's and I thought he was so cute (and so appropos) that I saved him. When I couldn't find a valentine avatar that I liked, I painted his hat and shot an arrow through it. When a fancy strikes me, I just move him into my paint program and draw him some new duds. Sometimes he helps me think of Dino's more charming attributes. Don't get the idea that they look alike, but they do both like to wear funny hats.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
believer

Daffodil, what a beautiful story! I have a dog and I needed to have a dog, b/c I needed to know that I am able to give and feel that kind of open and uncomplicated love. A love without shame, remorse, or reservation. I have always feared having kids b/c of this wall I've had up for so long. Having a dog has helped me to begin tearing down this wall.

I chose my avatar b/c it's bright and cheerful, and makes me think of new beginnings. Everyday it's in bloom, and I hope to be blooming right along with it!
Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ah-HA,

It is your paint program, I thought so but when I try to use mine everything come out really sqiggly. Are you meaning to say you are drawing these things? If that's the case that's it already

Actress
Singer
Artist
Costumer
Seamstress

You're way too talented to be in Kentucky. You could be a one woman traveling show. I for one would pay top dollar to go to a play where the star made her own clothes and designed the scenery as well.

I'm flabergasted, probably because I can't do nadda 1 of those things.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL Searching!

Costumers draw. It's in our job description.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I guess you would have to huh

It's still amazing!!!

Dino's been sporting some pretty nifty digs.