Yikes, ouch auto rates increase

Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yikes, ouch auto rates increase

Just got our new auto insurance policy in the mail, apparently they just got the DUI reported to them not long ago, well, we are seeing it in a rate increase, a BIG jump.

Have any of you been thru this, did you change your alcoholic to high risk insurance or what?

I swear these DUIs never go away do they? It seems like you get them finished and it's back to square one. He's done all the classes, breathalyzers, going to probation officers, etc.

He is going to work on it and call around to see what can be done. It's his deed, he has to work on finding a better way to deal with it.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Days after M totaled the 2nd car , (and got the DUI) she bought another one then called my Ins. company, (w/ the policy in my name) and added her new car. I found out and called the Ins. company and told them to remove her car and drop her name, then placed a password on my policy so she couldn't make anymore changes simply by picking up the phone. Then I told her she had to get her own insurance. I know, hardball but at that time I was done. She moved out a few months after that. She had to deal with it on her own and I have no idea what her rates are.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where I live-in Washington state, we have sr-22 for high risk and repeat offenders. I was on that for the first three years I was sober. It cramped my style a bit and I did my share of grumbling. I've had a perfect driving record for ten years up until last year-the I got two speeding tickets and got in a minor fender bender. Now my rates are way up again and I'm back to griping about auto insurance companies and how they screw me-LOL!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Consequences. Seems I could learn a thing or two from the insurance companies. They have some pretty strong boundaries, LOL.

L
Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work customer service for a high risk insurance company and deal with this EVERY DAY I work. There are alot of insurance companies that are going back 5 and even 10!!! years on your record for what they call "major" offenses. An OWI (DUI or whatever you want to call it) being one of them. I also handle sr22's every day, and although our insurance company only looks back at your record 3 years, our rates are sometimes higher because we are a "specialty" insurance company. Some insurance companies are actually taking it easier on first time OWI offenses. For example, we charge 3 points for the first offense. If you get a second offense, we would charge 9 points for that one.

In my state, Wisconsin, anyone with an OWI has to carry SR22 insurance after their first offense if they want to carry an occupational license. After the second offense, an occupational isnt availalble for a year after the conviction, after which you still need an SR22. Some insurance companies charge you for the SR22 as well. The company I work for does not.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Consequences. Seems I could learn a thing or two from the insurance companies. They have some pretty strong boundaries, LOL.
Oh, man... that is SOOOO true!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, insruance companies do have strong boundaires, that is a new way of looking at things...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're lucky you still have insurance. This reminded me of my parents. My dad got an impaired, (this was a long time ago) after my parents were married. My mom called her insurance company on and unrelated problem and somehow spilled that my dad had gotten the impaired charge. She was the only one on the insurance at the time and it was a totally seperate company but after they found that out, they dropped her. She had a totally clean driving record and she got skidded. She doesn't even drink! They assumed that since he lived in the same home that he'd drive her vehicle even after she told them he wouldn't. She was royally angry. :uzi2:
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok... what is the sr22
Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SR22 is a financial responsibility filing the state might require of you for several different reasons, in some states, driving without insurance, OWI, repeat traffic offender.. etc. Its where the insurance company notifies the state that you have coverage and also notifies the state if your insurance cancels.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ohhhhh ... Thanks now I know
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Holding The Father's Hand

Hey Sassy, does that mean that the state was notified when I removed AH and his truck from my insurance policy? He has a hardship license due to two DUII's and was required to have an SR-22
Old 06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

if he had an sr22 on your policy, the state was notified when you deleted him....