LIGHT BEER---This is too funny!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

LIGHT BEER---This is too funny!!!

At an Al anon meeting the other night and a lady was talking about she is handling her husbands drinking and what she had recently done for herself, etc. Well mid-discussion she threw in the phrase...... "It wasn't so bad that day because he was drinking LIGHT BEER instead of REGULAR BEER."

She had no clue. I am not making fun of her, far from it, it just hit me that this person had been in the Al anon program for MANY years and still was so naive. She is a sweet lady and YES we did immediately explain the LIGHT and REGULAR beer thing to her.

I just thought it was interesting and wondered how many people actually think you can't get drunk or as drunk on light beer!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure how many people think that....weird. I've never known anyone to think that. To me, it's a matter of taste, not "get drunker" or more alcohol, LOL.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by sunshine003
Not sure how many people think that....weird. I've never known anyone to think that. To me, it's a matter of taste, not "get drunker" or more alcohol, LOL.
I know, that is what threw us all for a huge loop, this lady really believed it.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like denial to me. "He isn't as bad when he drinks light beer." Silly thing to say. Someone can't be that ignorant. It is like when the alcoholic bargins with themselves. Something my ah has done a lot of. "I'll just drink beer, I don't get that way with just beer." Only, YES he did and chances are, he couldn't even stick to his own bargin.

Sounds to me that she thinks he's "okay or calmer on light beer" just because he says so. I used to believe that if my ah just drank beer, he was fine too, LMAO.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She is probably thinking in terms of food. Like light salad dressing for example!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Someone can't be that ignorant.
Sad thing here is she was COMPLETELY sincere when she said it. She was amazed when we explained to her that the alcohol content was just the same and regular beer.

I never thought of him trying to pull the wool over her eyes and lead her to this belief, but that is highly possible. She is very sheltered and not worldly at all, I am not surprised really that she thought this way.

One thing, if it was him putting this in her head, he just hit a brick wall cause she knows better now. Might be fun to be a fly on the wall the next time that conversation comes up between the two of them! lol
Old 06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Sounds to me like she was like Cleopatra swimming in the "River of De Nile" and just got bitten in the "Asp"
A very rude awakening - I hate that when it happens to me and some days it happens a lot - so I keep coming back!!(lol)
Rita
Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Light beer...

Hey, crack is low in calories and actually facilitates weight loss! I believe it's called the Jenny Crack plan!

And of course, heroin has no carbs...

Don't mind me. This is just where my brain goes...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wan't to hear something funny?

My (Soon to be x)AH always used to say. "I haven't had that many, besides these are light beers.. it's practically like drinking water". He even convinced himself that if it was "light" it meant it wasn't as much alcohol that he was consuming! I never even argued with him about that one, since it wouldn't have changed anything...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When we were in Italy, my AH kept trying to convince me that the grappa, served in restaurants after meals, didn't have a high alcohol content. I could tell from the first and last taste... yuck... it was hard liquor. This was more than 12 years ago and I had no idea that alcohol was or was going to become a problem. Add it to the list of red flags I was too ignorant to see.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Someone can't be that ignorant.
*LOL* Oh no?

When my niece was born, the lady in the other bed in the room with my sister in law started to cry one night.
My SIL asked what was wrong.
The lady said she was worried about her husband. When they were married, he told her if they start making love, they need continue every night. If they miss a night, he runs the risk of it falling off for lack of use.
She trusted him and didn't know any better. Now she is in the hospital and it is day 3 without for him. She was worried it would fall off for sure before she could get home with the new baby.

Yes Dale was that ignorant and nieve. *LOL* She learned fast though.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Binge poster

LOL! That's TERRIBLE! What a bad man!

LOL.

J
Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Needs a good smack (as above)
LOL
S
xxxxxxxxx
Old 06-28-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

I remember when my AH tried to "cut back" by switching to light beer. Instead of drinking his usual 15-18 regular beers per night, he was going through a full case of light beer everyday for about 2 weeks! How ridiculous is that?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Actually, I've been thinking about it and I don't really know what light beer is - maybe we don't get it here?

Is it beer with fewer calories?

Now I feel like a country mouse!
j
Old 06-28-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cupowater
She is probably thinking in terms of food. Like light salad dressing for example!

At first I thought that,too. Thought it was the old 3.2 beer that was around back in my college days that you could drink at 18. You had to be 21 to drink the "harder" stuff which included Colt 45 "malt liquor",etc.

Evidently, that is not made/sold any more. My kids had know idea what I was talking about and all the bars (that are left..most got torn down and turned into a mall) on the OSU campus are 21 and older.

p.s. OK; for those of you wondering, it was in the early 70's. What is the alcohol content in beers now?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by best
*LOL* Oh no?

When my niece was born, the lady in the other bed in the room with my sister in law started to cry one night.
My SIL asked what was wrong.
The lady said she was worried about her husband. When they were married, he told her if they start making love, they need continue every night. If they miss a night, he runs the risk of it falling off for lack of use.
She trusted him and didn't know any better. Now she is in the hospital and it is day 3 without for him. She was worried it would fall off for sure before she could get home with the new baby.

Yes Dale was that ignorant and nieve. *LOL* She learned fast though.
Oh too funny, Your story TOPPED mine by far!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by bahookie
I don't really know what light beer is - maybe we don't get it here?
BWWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

No Jane you're no country mouse! I doubt they have light beer in Scotland of all places! It has fewer carbohydrates and fewer calories, only in health conscious California would an idea like that come up!
It basically tastes like colored water with a little fizz. You and your buds would have a good laugh at us if you ever tasted a Coors Light!