Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I would be curious to see the results of a poll of the members....

I would be curious to see the results of a poll of the members....

Old 06-23-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

I have to agree with Judy that mine could be all of the above. I definitely noticed a 15 beer "change" though. It seemed he always got mean and nasty on his 15th beer.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Binge poster

15 beers! Can you imagine being able to down 15 beers?
In less than a week, I mean.

J
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I can't imagine downing 15 beers in a month...I drink one a year...I hate beer.

Hmmmm, I wonder what the "record" is, most amount of beers downed in a day or week...must be a staggering number!

Dolly
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Last week I did the "visual test" someone's doctor mentioned in a post. Measured out in pitcherS the amount of beer AH would drink on an average night (he is a nightly drinker). When he lived here, he averaged at least ten beers a night that I saw. I measured out that much water and looked at it........well at first I thought...that doesn't look "TOO BAD"..(??!! can you say "DENIAL"!)..then I wondered about drinking it...haha. I couldn't make a dent in it, and it was only water!!!!!!! I truly do not know how someone can drink that much fluid in three or four hours. As for the alcohol...well, that is completely beyond my "ability".

p.s.I can understand why he has added wine,etc as his drink-of-choice in addition to the beer........there would be little time left for drinking after bathroom visits!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This thread is very interesting. Someone could do a thesis on this subject. I have a related question... I don't know much AH drinks because I never actually see him raise the bottle to his mouth. I just see the results and find a lot of empties. The empties aren't large bottles though and I was wondering if some people just get mean a lot faster than others and if so why?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Several of you have mentioned a "click-point" (for lack of a better term. I have seen that many,many times,also. I hve often wondered if that might sometimes be when the blackouts occur......maybe the blackouts DO happen more often and just the behavior is just so out of control in these times. Any thoughts...just curious.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name
........well at first I thought...that doesn't look "TOO BAD"..(??!! can you say "DENIAL"!)..
Pick - that was my doctor and LOL that was my reaction, too. It was something like 17-20 standard drinks in a 4 hour period. And that's only what I saw. It was another one of those times I realized - if I have so much trouble believing it, no wonder an alcoholic can't either. Denial is very, very powerful.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Taking the first step.......

Any form of drinking is bad but mym mum can easilt polish off sometimes 2ltrs of vodka PER DAY! i cant imagine what it is doing to her insides, that stuff is like paint stripper!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My AH...
At first he was quiet and weepy...drank alone...after everyone went to bed. The nicest drunk you ever could meet because no-one ever really saw him drunk.

Then he started going out to bars...became loud and boisterous, butin a friendly silly way...the life of the party. I stopped going places with him in public when he hit on the waitress in front of me...must have forgot I was there. Ooops.

Now he drinks at home again...nasty and mean when someone gets in the way of his booze.

What a sad progression!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57
Pick - that was my doctor and LOL that was my reaction, too. It was something like 17-20 standard drinks in a 4 hour period. And that's only what I saw. It was another one of those times I realized - if I have so much trouble believing it, no wonder an alcoholic can't either. Denial is very, very powerful.
OT--I thought it was you, Denny. I also was struck by thinking the same thing myself,too. If MY denial is so great...and I am not addicted to needing the stuff......I can hardly "blame" B for having a hard time realizing his drinking is not "normal". His family all drinks that way,too...

Did give me a little more understanding about his "blindness" and MY OWN!!!

Thanks for posting about doing that little experiment. I STILL can second-guess it (ugh!) but it helps alot. (Esp. because AH is not in the house so I tend to forget alot of the things I do not want to remember).
Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

gypsyrose, AT first alcohol calms the nerves, later it causes the nervousness it fixed at first.,
at first it makes us feel better, later it takes more to feel better. at first we are happy, then we become unhappy. It turns on us and causes the problems it used to fix. Someone wrote it made me fly then it took away the sky.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

When I first met G he was the life of the party type. Also Mr. Moneybags. Somewhere during the relationship, it changed. About the same time I figured out how bad things really were and started to express how much I hated his drinking. Then he got mean and nasty. Still the life of the party with his friends. I don't think I never knew at any given time how much he drank. I'd see him drink alot but started to realize that was the tip of the iceburg and that he'd probably started well before I came around. He also liked to "refresh" in the morning. He'd go to bed at 2 a.m. drunk, wake up at 6 a.m. and although I never saw him, I know he'd have a couple to kill the crap feeling he had. No way to know really how much alcohol was still swirling around in there when he woke up. The worst days for me were the ones that I knew he'd been drunk till late at night and didn't have much sleep. I could guarantee a drunk by early afternoon the next day. If not earlier.....
Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

completely unpredictible, yet somehow his unpredictible behaviors have become predictible!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name
Several of you have mentioned a "click-point" (for lack of a better term. I have seen that many,many times,also. I hve often wondered if that might sometimes be when the blackouts occur......maybe the blackouts DO happen more often and just the behavior is just so out of control in these times. Any thoughts...just curious.
I don't know about blackouts, nor do I really know about really predictable behaviour. However, I do know about "click-points", as you put them. However, in my wife's case, the "click-point" is the point where she loses all responsibility, and really lets loose toward drinking.

If she has 1 drink, or even 2 drinks, she can stop drinking if given the right incentive. However, at the third drink, there is absolutely no stopping her, no matter what happens. She will continue to drink until there is nowhere left to get a drink (closing time). She will nurse the first two drinks, and actually be somewhat responsible about it. However, once she starts drinking the third drink, she starts adding shots to her repertoire, she starts drinking her beers faster, she orders mixed drinks, etc.

I rarely see my wife drink, so I don't know how much alcohol gets into her system at any given time, but I have noticed that.

As far as her behaviour goes, it really depends on so many circumstances that it can't even be predicted. The only behaviour I can predict is that she will continue drinking all night long, and will not come home until the bar is closed.

Her behaviour varies from sad and weepy to mean and nasty. Sometimes, she comes home and all she wants to do his cry on my shoulder. Other times, all she wants is sex. On the bad nights, she will scream and holler at me, and sometimes even hit me (although that's pretty rare, and in the past it was usually a reaction to me trying to physically stop her from hurting herself). When she's screaming and hollering at me, she usually tells me that we're finished, and that she doesn't love me anymore.

The only truly consistent thing is the fact that she gets extremely moody when she's drunk. She can go from sad and weepy, apologizing endlessly to me, to screaming and hollering at me in the drop of a hat.

EDIT - I just wanted to point out that I am not justifying her physically abusing me, I was just pointing out that those were the occasions when it would happen.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My AH stays the same as when he's sober. Very quiet and very calm although at times becomes more talkative and I just want him to shut up and go to sleep.