Addicted to Ephedra???

Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to Ephedra???

My husband hasn't had a drink since April, but I believe he is addicted to Ephedra (big time).

He has taken products with Ephedra in them for four years straight (a certain diet product). He also drinks a lot of caffine with them (about 1 1/2 liters of Coke a day). A few days ago he ran out of his "diet aid" and went without for about two days. The first night he could not sleep, the next day he was extremely moody. The second night he was sweating and couldn't sleep and looked absolutely awful. Again, he was moody and very irritated the next day. The next day he started taking the "diet aid" and caffine drinks again and he felt fine that night. He wasn't sick, I think he may have been going through withdrawl, but I am not sure. I couldn't find anything on the internet addressing what could happen if somebody is addicted to this herb (increased risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, etc), only people who had a reaction taking it as directed were mentioned. Does anybody have any input just for my information. He'll continue to take it no matter what anyone says (he ignores ALL the warnings on the bottle and on TV) but I am just curious about this herb.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Blondie,

It's probable and very likely that your husband is addicted to ephedra. It is NOT, repeat NOT, a harmless herb. It is a chemical substance that is one of the basic ingredients of crystal meth. My guess is that your husband has lots of energy (including sexual)? when he's taking his pills, and then his crashes are very similar to crashes from crystal meth.

It's extremely dangerous and has been linked to all sorts of heart problems and deaths. This stuff really makes me angry because it is marketed as an herb. It's a dangerous, addictive chemical that screws up your mind and body.

Oh, I was hooked on it while in college. I finally stopped taking it when I landed in the emergency room with an irregular heartbeat. Ten years later, I still have occasional panic attacks and heart palpitations. Your husband needs to learn the true dangers of this CRAP.

Best,

Kath

Last edited by Kath; 02-17-2003 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The basic ingrediant for crystal meth!!!!?????? No wonder it is so addictive! That is scary!!!

Yes, he has more energy and his sex drive has increased, but he said that all of the warnings are wrong and it is safe and he refuses to acknowledge the danger (like he does with alcohol and smoking and caffine). Good grief, he's a time bomb waiting to explode.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Baseball death & ephedra

Hi Blondie,

You should make sure he reads this article about ephedra the 24-year-old pro-baseball pitcher who died last week:

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs....2191072&Ref=AR

It makes me so angry that this stuff is sold as a safe herb! grrrr. Have you talked with him about it?

Kath
Old 02-20-2003, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I placed this post here before that pitcher died. I know this is dangerous stuff, especially if it is used the wrong way. I did talk to my husband about that 23 year old pitcher dying, but my husband just dismissed it as a coincidence and kept insisting that the poor guy would have died anyway even without the supplements. I told him that the medical examiner said the supplement was a factor and he STILL dismissed it.

Such is addiction, everyone else (even experts) are wrong, but "I am right." Denial runs deep.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

blondie

I was wondering if I can speak to you about your symptoms of ephedra because I seem to be going through the same thing you experienced. You can email me back at I would be very grateful if you can give me some adive on the subject...

Christina

Last edited by chrissy; 11-04-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: don't want my email on there