Anyone near or visited Virginia Beach?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone near or visited Virginia Beach?

My aunt just invited me to travel with her over Labor Day weekend to Virginia Beach. She'll be running the half marathon and wanted a traveling buddy.
I think I'm going to go! My aunt divorced her ah and she's been helping me along the way of my split with my ex.

It's funny that once everyone knew I made this choice, I'm getting more invitations to do things! Tomorrow night, I'm going to a free concert in one of our parks, next weekend another newly single woman (friend of my aunt's) is having a party to celebrate her fresh start, too and today my aunt asked me to travel with her.

I would usually say no, thanks to these things, but my HP must be giving me a sign that it's time to do something different! I actually feel like I'm living and not just existing day to day.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

good for you, i hope you go, iwish i could too, you are blessed to have people in your life who are able to help you through all of this, no i haven't been there but the trip sure sounds fun
Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Virginia Beach is a pretty neat place, probably the only commercialized beach I would go to. Close to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA. Plenty of things to do there.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't been there either but I sure hope you enjoy yourself. The saying goes something like this: When one door closes lots more opens up...I'd say you're living proof of this.

Janet
Old 06-18-2006, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't been there myself but one of my kids' friends lived there for a year when he was stationed there with the AF and she loved it.

I "shut my eyes and jumped",too about a trip. A former neighbor who I never really socialized with invited me/any of us to come visit and stay in her "fresh start place" (which incidently ending in the husband she divorced getting his act together and they are now back together,though not remarried..yet..ha). Conditions came together that made me a fool NOT to take a long weekend there (xAH is even paying for it and my kids are now going,too!). ALl new experience....well feels that way. First thing like this since I married in 1978!

Who are we to pass up a day at the beach??????? I'm gonna go for it, and I hope you do,too! Glad you have your aunt and I am sure she is glad for you,too! Bon voyage!!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before I was with AH, a friend and I went there on vacation 3 years in a row. We had a great time. You can get VA beach booklets with all kinds of specials. Since you have time, go to the VA beach website and order some literature to be sent to you. I can't remember what it is but Google would know. You'll have a great time. Wish I was going.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have only been there once an it was over 20 years ago!! I do know I loved it and like Jazz said it is not all hyped up like most east coast beach areas!! Have fun, pack me in ur suitcase!! LOL Kerry
Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Virginia Beach is a nice place, but I prefer Rehobath Beach in Delaware for it's 1950's style family-friendly atmosphere.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AZ, my mom lives there. Nice place for a visit. Sounds like you will be busy this summer. Thats a good thing. Keeping busy has been good for me. I wish you lots of enjoyment and happiness. What a blessing to just have the opportunity to gooooooooo.......... God bless
Old 06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As a native Marylander who spent summers in O.C. MD

I gotta tell you that Virginia Beach has it beat over Ocean City, Maryland. First, you have wonderful public parking facilities every coiuple blocks (I really liked parking at the 24th Street lot) with porta potties. Ocean City? Forget it!!! One public parking lot, the rest are reserved for specific hotel patrons, and if you want to find a toilet, wade out into the surf!

Also, the beach is wide and not steep or narrow. Plenty of all-you-can-eat family-style buffets for a reasonable price. Four years ago, when my husband was stationed at Langley A.F.B. in Hampton, I spent two weeks down there. He got leave as much as possible and we had a blast at Virginia Beach. It's low-key, not a noisy, boozing crowd, and, as someone else mentioned, you're near Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and a huge water world facility. Plenty to do.

Only one warning: be prepared for Interstate 64. It is the only road out onto the pennisula and traffic is TERRIBLE all the time. I drove during non-rush hour from Hampton to Virginia Beach while husband was at work and it was still a royal pain fighting the traffic anytime of the day!!! Also, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, or what day of the week - it's a two-lane interstate with trees/grass separating one two-lane side from the other. Two lanes going each way handling a huge population - talk about dumb road infrastructure planning!

So, just be prepared for some gridlock and fender-benders, but enjoy the beach. My husband and I still reminisce about how much fun we had when we were there.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
Virginia Beach is a nice place, but I prefer Rehobath Beach in Delaware for it's 1950's style family-friendly atmosphere.
Yep... I would agree w/ that as well. Very neat place. Funny how you would say 1950s... I didn't realize there was such a large "out of the closet" Gay community back in the 50s....
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the great information! I'm excited for something to look forward to. School starts Aug. 14, so after a few weeks back I'll be ready for a little trip!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Have a great trip aztchr!! I've never been there, but it sounds great .
Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman
Funny how you would say 1950s... I didn't realize there was such a large "out of the closet" Gay community back in the 50s....
Are you saying you didn't see that at VA Beach? There's quite a large outpouring of gay pride in VA Beach as well.

Oh well. Nothing wrong with that.

VA Beach is a very nice place to go. It's extremely nice if you can get a hotel room on the beach. I've been to VA Beach quite a few times (although most of them were in my childhood), and have always had a great time there. There are a lot of other beaches I would rather go to, but there are also a lot of beaches I would pass on if offered them against VA Beach.

As someone above said, VA Beach is probably the nicest commercialized beach community you can visit (although Rehoboth is also nice - but it's a little too close to Ocean City for my tastes).

Just be sure that the asteroid from Deep Impact doesn't hit while you're there, because, contrary to the events in the movie, it is more than half an hour to the mountains of West Virginia