Kinda OT Need Advice

Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda OT Need Advice

Im on my cell, so forgive punctuation probs. Im still having a rough time adjusting to my job. I dont know if Im really being overloaded, or if Im just new and therefore slow at picking stuff up, or if I am really stupid after all, or if this is really how much work is expected for this small pay increase I got. Im frustrated, and I dont know how much time to give it. I dont want to quit, but I dont want to dread my days everyday either. But then I start second guessing myself, wondering if I am just down right now. As I left the office at 9 tonight, I started feeling sorry for myself, wondering if this is normal or if Im being given too much. How do I know? Iow long do I give it? Its been 7 weeks. I cant be jobless either... Your experienced thoughts...?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

so sorry that you feel down, i pray that this too shall past. can't give you any advice but you have gotta be pretty smart. you found sr and new jobs are sometimes difficult at first, right. i think that you may feel better if you stop to take a breath. i pray that god will empower you and guide you though to better days and better understanding concerning your job. it is kind of hard to fail if you don't quit.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I started a new job a few years ago, it was really tough. I worked long hours to get the job done, and I often wondered how long untill I would "get it", or if I should just quit. One of my co-workers said to give it at least 6 months. I did, and after 6 months I did feel much better. Soon we had another new co-worker, and she too was overwhelmed. I gave her the same advice, and it helped her too.

I don't know what kind of job you have, but usually it takes more than 7 weeks to feel like you know what you are doing. It's not easy learning something new. Hang in there!!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TG, Good to see you, but so sorry you are having doubts. I think that is very normal.
You came out of the office at 9PM and still had the drive home, that could be tireing. Are you working overtime, and does that go on year around??
Are you getting lots of rest on weekends and everything going well there???.
Do you like the city where you work?

I know what I would do, I'd get a room or studio apt so I could stay put Mon .
thru Thur nites. That is just me. to some the drive is relaxing. I guess I would make a list. What do I want??
Just want to send a BIG HUG TG
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TG, have you spoken with your boss? Do you have a job description? What was said about workload/hours at the interview? Is there a "review" period after which you can sit down with the boss and appraise the first few months? Do you get training? Bit difficult to comment without a bit more detail.

The other thing that springs to mind is whether perhaps there is an element of perfectionism creeping in. I know that when I am overwhelmed with work it is tied up with non-work issues in me. Something to think about, maybe?

(((hugs)))
Old 06-09-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

It may be strictly a job problem (maybe the job is not quite what you were expecting...etc..) or it might be that you are feeling depressed, which can make learning new things a lot more difficult.

Also, starting a new job adds a lot of stress to anybody. If you were not feeling great going into it, the stress of a new job can be very depleting.

In any event, I don't think that working overly long hours is particularly healthy for you right now. Balance is really important.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learning a new job is difficult. Having gone into an entirely new company, I feel that it's only normal that you are feeling overwhelmed right now.

Not sure it applies to you, but I have found that when I am having personal issues at home, it has affected my job and my ability to concentrate and learn new things.
I have to leave my personal life at the door when I go into work - and throw myself 100% into my job.
And on that note, I try to always leave work at the door when I go home too.

Hopefully you'll get the hang of it soon, but don't give up yet. Change can be hard. It takes awhile to adjust.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((TG)))

I work in "stress management" it is big business. THe reason it is such big business is because there is over-whelming evidence that a stressed employee is less productive.

Perhaps you need to learn some things to help you be more relaxed at your position at work. My people who work at a computer scarely change their position all day this is very stressfull for the body. Take small breaks and roll your head back and to the sides, pull your shoulders back and roll them back, let your arms down and shake your hands keeping the wrist loose ten hold your arm straight out away from your body and shake your wrist,then hold your arms in front of your chest and shake your wrist. any combintion of these simple exercises thru out your day can relieve stress also pay attention to your body tention and when you walk to the restroom try to take as long a strides as you can. At a computer your body leans forword so you will want to streach your upper body back as much as possible. Before you get out of bed do some streaching of your lower back by laying flat and streaching your legs towards the opposite hip also pull your knees toward your chest and rock feel the tension if there is any. People who are angry tend to have more low back pain and people who are worried tend to have more pain in the neck and shoulder area if you have both you need to listen to your yourself and your body more. Also many malls these days have masage therapist doing "chair massage" for $1 per minute even a 5 mintue cession can do much to relieve stress 15 minutes a week could really help alot but do it when you will have a day off...Stress is a major health concern...90% of all hospitalization is stress related. Take care...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TG

In the past when I worked in an office and this would happen, I would talk to my supervisor about it. Sometimes I realized I was putting the extra hours in because I thought I needed to, not because it was expected of me.

If you're not at a stage where you want to run screaming from the building, I'd give it a little time, too. If nothing else, you can add it to your resume and use it as a rung up the ladder.

Glad you're checking in and keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

(((TG)))-- I don't have much to add as everyone's given you some great advice already. I'm just sorry that for now that this new job is not panning out the way you had hoped. I really hope it gets better for you. Going to a job that you don't like is no fun at all and I can relate.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sorry folks, but can someone tell me what OT stands for???
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All good advice TG.
I think that is why I stay in my current position, hate the idea
of all the change and stress at this point in time.
Are you getting any fulfillment from this new job?
Like someone else asked how are things at home going?
I hope that things just "pop" into place soon for you.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Five
sorry folks, but can someone tell me what OT stands for???

OT= Off Topic
Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Hey!

I totally can relate. I am in a state of stress at work most of the time. Too much to do, not enough hours in the day.
I feel you.
It may be the transition, it takes time. I agree with Denny, that sometimes I work bc I feel like I have to, when really nobody expects me to put in 14 hour days.

Perhaps a discussion with the boss over expectations would be helpful?

Nobody can be the best at everything girl, and no you are not stupid. You are gutsy, couragous and brave for starting a new job. I am proud of you!

Do something nice for yourself
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TG, I don't have much to add except give it time. It normally takes a 6 month learning curve to feel comfortable in a new position.

I know that I am off base here, but it always seems when something isn't going the way you expect it to go (your marriage, your job etc) you always look for something to blame ....... you need to take responsibility for this and make it the best it can be for you.

None of this job should be a surprise for you, unless of course they understated the job or you completely and totally misunderstood what the job would be. I think the issue/challenge here is with you, not with the job. Sorry to be so blunt, it's not meant to hurt, just offering what I see through all the words.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I liked working in Union places.

Wages are higher.Over time doctumented and compebsated,
Job duties and training well defined,
Shop stewards make sure the contract is honored.

I also worked in a city... usually lived within a
comfortable walking distance to the job.

I always gave myself 3 months at any new place.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think being overwhelmed is normal in a new job. You might be experiencing bunrout at well.

Maybe give it a little more time. You could also look for something else in the meantime. That way if something comes up, you would have a new job to go right too instead of being unemployed.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On a tear

The best job I ever had took at least 6 months to learn the basics, one year to get proficient and probably it was 2 years before I got back some of that "damn, I'm good" pride I so like.

I think your position may be one that you will eventually discover is extremely satisfying.

Beware you don't do that "perfectionist" thing we Alanons are so well-known for doing. Give yourself some days off once in a while, keep your boss informed about YOUR needs.... and be willing to ask for assistance.

Take CARE of yourself. We don't seem to do that very well at all.

(((TG))))
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad to see you around TG

Everyone here has good advice. All I can add is to remember to ask for help when you need it. It's not fair to your employer to keep it to yourself and then get angry or leave because you didn't get the help you needed.

Also, if you are working overtime, you should let them know so they can compensate you for it. Unless you are in a management position and have the power to hire and fire other employees you are not exempt from getting overtime pay. Even if you are an exempt employee, you're employer will want to know so they can take of you. It costs employers money to hire and train new people. You are an investmetment to them.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey TG -

I agree with everyone else..6 months minimum to get your feet underneath you...

EVERYONE feels like an idiot in the beginning because it is so much work..

give yourself a break..I'm sure you are doing a great job.

Like Minnie said - is what you are doing part of your role and the job description? what particular is taking you time to figure out..

I also agree that the personal stuff gets in the way of the job stuff. when I was with C my exabf - I was so strung out and focused on him that my job performance went way way down.