Kinda OT Need Advice

Old 06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Minnie has great advice re talking to your supervisor, checking your job description, clarifying expectations. And everything others have said about adapting to a new position and the time it takes is true as well.

In addition to speaking to your boss/supervisor which may be key, have you made any connections with co-workers? Often the best view of things comes from people who already work there. If you can share coffee with people, as you get comfortable with them,and they with you, you may find an opportunty to open up and ask about expectations, etc. and get a bit of a reality check.

And just to add some perspective:

Asking for help is okay too. I've been in a number of management positions and I'd much rather have someone new who has recently begun working for me come and talk to me if they're having any trouble. I've seen the opposite happen -- where someone takes on the role but is uncertain, trudges on without questioning or asking for help until things get too far, and the person is really in trouble, or things are slipping. And it's not because they were incapable or not suited for the job -- they simply assumed they should know things they couldn't have, or assumed certain expectations that may not have been real.

I'm the kind of manager who will make the overture to an employee if I spot this. Not all are -- so maybe think about asking to set a time to talk.

hang in
gf