Today's Gift - 6/2 (from Hazelden)

Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's Gift - 6/2 (from Hazelden)

Today's thought is:
Fair play is primarily not blaming others for anything that is wrong with us.
--Eric Hoffer

As adults, we accept responsibility for our feelings and our circumstances. We haven't chosen our own troubles, but we have the job of dealing with them. If a man falls and breaks a leg, he might say to someone, "It's your fault, and I'll make you pay for this!" But that won't fix his leg. The healing still has to come from within.
Our impulse to blame others is an attempt to escape our responsibilities. We become overcritical. We want someone else to take the rap for our pain and our misdeeds, but this only delays our wholeness. There is no point in blaming ourselves either. When we first confront our discomfort directly and accept responsibility for dealing with it, we feel an inner urge to escape again. If we stay with the discomfort a while, a new stage begins -- the healing and acceptance stage. A feeling of wholeness comes, a feeling of being a real person, of having reached our full size.
May I not indulge in blame today -- toward myself or anyone else. Instead, may I be strong and responsible.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good reminder Minx, thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

That reminds me of 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem'. Thanks for the reminder of where to keep my focus.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing this, especially with what's goin on with Kathy and me.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Helpful post, Minx! I like the analogy of the broken leg and blame. I think codependency is like that, people have a habit of just blaming the alcoholic for the way their life is going, instead of looking at the big picture and the role we play in our lives. Healing and happiness has to come from within ourselves, not always dependant on others. Though we can have alot of sources of support, it is a journey we take alone! JMO Kerry