Do AA go cold when in detox

Old 05-27-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are all right! I do not understand alcoholism, I watch it in a very good friend and have for 10 years and still cannot understand it. I posted my experience to try to ease the discomfort of the supportive spouse feeling alienated, as because I said, I prefer to be by myself while doing this. And, for me, the statement that getting off the pills is easier seems to be true for me. I don't have feelings of wanting to take that particular pill that was prescribed for me...I just want off it.....but it has to be de-toxed.
I feel for anyone dealing with alcoholism.....I loved the friend I spoke of earlier and got crazier by the day with codependence and now detached and distanced as a friend I can see how much pain he is in and how cruel his addiction is. It is going to kill him. His heart is now permanently damaged. And yet, he drinks. So I am really ignorant about alcoholism.....from both sides of the fence.
And, oh yeah, I am on a taper, so my physical withdrawal is medically managed.
So, let me rewind and say....that the only point I wished to make is that de-tox withdrawal is a full time endeavor that we must make ourselves and it doesn't leave much energy to be there for others, even those we love dearly.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

live, Thank you, you explained that nicely, it is a full time thing to de-tox.

I mentioned I could only stand to be reading, or going to a meeting or being with someone that had BTDT. It is the one time many of us cannot handle loved ones. strange, but seems to be true for many. (always exceptions)

From all you have read, heard and seen I would listen to you closely about alcoholism. I was a light weight alcoholic, but at least I know what blackouts are. Learned much from old timers at many AA meetings.

jen, lots of very good replys on here. hopefully it helps.
I want the best for you both. Keep coming back. It helps to type out our thoughts, fears etc. where everyone understands.